***Live from the Sojourn 14 Day Grand Med***

More to come later tonight from the Sojourn making our way in a storm towards Civitavecchia, Italy. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear I was on a British Isles cruise due to the weather and sea conditions!...LOL

Not sure where you get the idea that cruising around the British Isles would be similar conditions to what you are getting. My experience has been quite the opposite. The Med is one of the most unpredictable bodies of water there is. Oh and by the way I believe your truster are really called Thrusters.

Actually the upgrade was to the owners suite, not the wintergarden ;). BTW, the safe had been replaced the night before, so really not sure why the upgrade was given. (Was blown away though!)

Host Dan

Isn't the owners suite the best? Anyway I was quite impressed and wished I would have been on that sailing with you for a peek!

Not sure where you get the idea that cruising around the British Isles would be similar conditions to what you are getting. My experience has been quite the opposite. The Med is one of the most unpredictable bodies of water there is. Oh and by the way I believe your truster are really called Thrusters.

Perhaps because my 3 British Isles cruises I have done previously all had bad weather, rain, high winds, rough seas and certainly not the place to work on your tan on the outter decks. Thank you on "thrusters" just like "Colonnade":D

Day 8: Civitavecchia, Italy 7:00am-5:00pm

Good Morning from the sleepy Sojourn this early Friday morning. We just took onboard our Italian Pilot to help us guide us into the port of Civitavecchia this morning and expect to be alongside our berth at approx. 7:00am. Our stay today is shorter than usual calls onto Civitavecchia. We usually have a later departure of 7:00pm or 8:00pm on this cruiseline and others in order to give extra time to those going into Rome.

Seabourn Square is busier than usual due to many people disembarking from this first 7 day cruise. Poor Kevin is running around like a chicken this morning but still remembers everyone's names and beverage preferrences. I will miss him when we head home next weekend.

Today to accomodate disembarking paxs and in transit paxs, we have the Colonnade open from 7:00am until 9:30am and the Restaurant open from 8:00am until 9:00am as well. Luncheon will be served as on the previous embarkation day from 12:30pm until 2:00pm in the Colonnade or the Patio Grill for snacks from 2:30pm until 4:30pm today.

The weather again doesn't look too promising with very dark clouds here in Civitavecchia but the seas are realtively calm which is a nice change in the past couple of days.

More to follow later this morning after breakfast here in Civitavecchia, Italy.;)

Legend Alongside with Us Today;

We are just pulling into our berth here alongside the pier with the Seabourn Legend already tied up and alongside her pier in front of us. Ohhh what great memories of the crew, ship and memorable times onboard those 44 days...seems like yesterday that we had those pot smoking heathens, rugs rats, ankle biters, half naked grandpas etc...can't wait to hopefully go over and see some people if we can at the gangway of the Legend later today....stay tuned!:eek:;):eek:

Today's Activities Onboard;

7:00am Arrival into Civitavecchia, Italy

12:30pm-2:00pm Colonnade Opens for Lunch

2:30pm-4:30pm Patio Grill Opens for Snacks

3:30pm Golf Putting Enthusists, The Retreat Deck 11

4:30pm All Onboard

4:45pm Passenger Emergency Drill

5:00pm Departure Seabourn Sojourn Sets Sail for Livorno, Italy

5:15pm Sail a way Social, Sky Bar, Deck 8, 9 and Patio Bar Deck 8, 9

5:30pm Sabbath Service, Card Room Deck 7

Evening Activities Onboard Tonight;

Tonight's Attire: Resort Casual

6:30pm Panoramic Piano Moods with Pierre, Observation Bar Deck 10

6:30pm-8:00pm Club Cocktails, The Club Deck 5

8:45pm Evening Melodies with Guitarist Michael Liebler, The Club Deck 5

9:30pm Piano Bar Melodies with Pierre, Observation Bar, Deck 10

9:45pm Welcome Night in the Club, Deck 5

Update on In-Transit Guests Today;

Just about to head up to the Colonnade for a late breakfast. We thought we would let the disembarking paxs fight each other for a piece toast and go up late hopefully that it will be quieter in the last hour of breakfast service. We received a card to our stateroom this morning informing us that they will be performaing some cleaning operations on all suites and verandas commencing at 8:30am or NOW!:eek:

We also learned thru Guest Services that 1/6th of the ship or approx. 80 guests are remaining onboard for another cruise with us for another 7 days.

More to come after breakfast in the Colonnade here onboard Sojourn on this what looks to be gloomy and soggy morning in Civitavecchia, Italy.:(

Update After Breakfast:

Good Morning again and this wet morning in Civitavecchia, Italy. We just finished breakfast in the Colonnade and by the time we sat down it was 8:40am and most of the Colonnade was half empty. We decided as always to sit outside on the verandah. No sooner than we had ordered breakfast strong torrential rains and hail the size of chich peas were coming down in buckets. The noise that this made against the crisp white canopy canvasses' of the Colonnade was unbelieveable with lightning again and thunder. This lasted all but perhaps 15 minutes of strong rains. Had the usual two poached eggs on dry brown and a large O.J. There are approx. 50 people remaining in the Colonnade some with luggage some eating but very quiet and civilized....certainly NOT a ZOO!

Was seeing if anyone by chance was trying to toast one of those GIANT CROISSANTS this morning but no such luck.

We have currently with us in Civitavecchia, The Island Escape (Old Nordic Empress RCCL) of Ibero Cruises, Splendida from MSC, the Legend and ourselves from what I can see this morning.

They have just made the final annoucement for all remaining guests to proceed ashore at 9:45am. I must say disembarkation on Seabourn is so much more civilized than on other cruise lines.

The weather today does not look too promising at all from looking at the weather forecast. If we are to get any chance of half decent weather for the rest of the day it will be in late afternoon. So we have adjusted our plans a little and probably take advantage of the fact that it is quiet onboard and test out the self serve laundry room on Deck 5 mid ship, then head back to the cabin and catch a movie perhaps and then lunch in the Colonnade after 1:00pm and hopefully after that off to the Legend to see if we can see some familiar faces.

More to come later today onboard the Sojourn here in Civitavecchia, Italy on turnaround day.;)

billichka; you will most defenitely have it twice since Market Galley Lunch is offered on ALL cruises greater than 7 days...you lucky DOG twice for you, NONE for us!:mad:...Enjoy and gorge yourselves is all I can say while us mear mortals have an Oriental lunch here onboard Sojourn today in the Colonnade.:p

Twice! :D I better lose some weight prior to embarkation cos it looks like I will pile on even more than I planned onboard!

Amongst all the talk of cutbacks it is good to see that we will still be able to gorge ourselves. Thanks :)

Good morning ST!

Almost was reaching for the Pompoms! ;):)

Glad the trusty thrusters got you positioned into that place which I won't even attempt to spell correctly!

We went out on the North Sea for 4 hours last September on a nice sunny day with temperatures of around 16/18C, so very pleasant for us here in the NE Scotland, but oh my goodness on board that ferry (it was a charity fund raiser for the RNLI on the car ferry which goes to/from Aberdeen to/from Orkney and Shetland) it was cold with a strong wind and I was so glad I had brought my thick padded full length coat! I know it's always colder out on the water but brrrrrr! But it was spectacular seeing MY coastline from the sea. But it did kinda squash an almost lifelong quest to sail up to the Orkneys and Shetlands!

It must be a quite strange atmosphere on board today, I think you're probably wise to snuggle up and keep out of the way!! But it will be interesting to hear of the new SOBs! LOL!

Dinner Options for Tonight;

The Restaurant

First Course

Rare Seared Ahi Tuna in Fennek Crust, nicoise salad, basil pesto

Eggplant Relish & Hummus, roasted peppers, crostini, tomato oil

Oven Baked Chicken & Vegetable Roll, chili dipping sauce

Clear Oxtail Bouillon, braised oxtail pancake, broccoli, green peas

Shrimp & Pancetta Bisque, chick pea croutons

Marinated Young Vegetables with Romaine, salsa verde

Caramelized Pear Salad, Red Oak Leaf Lettuce, blue cheese, cornbread croutons

Main Course

Pan Sauteed Orange Roughy Filet, braised salsifies, asparagus, grain mustard, beurre blanc

Crisp Pan Fried Crab Cakes, marinated napa slaw, cilantro

Carved Veal Tenderloin, creamy parmesan polenta, fresh marinated vegetables, jus natural

Grilled Sirloin Steak & Oxtail Confit, grain mustard potato mousseline, sweet tomato marmalade

Vegetarian- Red Beet & Goat Cheese Ravioli, celery puree, sage brown butter sauce, toasted pine nuts

Restaurant 2;

Chef's Cocktail: Crispy Foie Gras, Port Wine Splash

Lobster Roll, Yogurt Caviar Sauce

Bacalaito Fritter, avocado & Tomato Salad

Seared Panela Salmon, White Bean Salsa, Piquillo Coulis

Shiraz Braised Oxtail Presse, Manchego Potstickers

White Asparagus Vanilla Cappuccino, Mushroom Toast

Drunken Turbot, Porcini & Swiss Chard, Hazelnut Vinaigrette

Tuscany Braised Veal, Mascarpone Mashed Potato

Dark Chocolate Ganache, Espresso Citrus Panna Cotta, Condensed Milk Ice Cream

The Colonnade- SURF AND TURF

APPETIZERS

Poached Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail, Avocado , Cocktail Sauce

or

Pan Sauteed Crab Cake

Marinated Fennel Red Onion Salad, Truffle Remoulade, Arugula

MAIN COURSE

Grilled Filet of Salmon

Pommes Fondant, Braised Artichokes, Lemon Beurre Blanc

or

"Surf and Turf"- Beef Tenderloin & Nigerian Shrimp

Roasted otatoes, Green Beans, Bernaise

DESSERTS

Fresh Strawberry Cheese Cake

Graham Cracker, Walnut Truffle

or

Roasted Apples, Frozen Yogurt

Almond Crisp

PATIO GRILL- AL FRESCO

APPETIZERS (FROM THE BUFFET)

Buffalo Mozzarella, Roma Tomatoes, Aged Balsamic

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Salsify and Salami Milano Cocktail

Grilled Marinated Vegetables

Seared Beef Carpaccio, Pickled Artichokes

Pesto Citrus Dressing

PIZZA (FROM THE BUFFET)

Frutti di Mare

Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella, Calamari, Clams and Shrimps

Garlic Onions

PASTA

Fettuccini Pesto, Red Bliss Potatoes, String Beans

FROM THE GRILL

Garlic and Herb Marinated Pork Chop

Pancetta Wrapped Veal Tenderloin

Grilled Branzino

Lamb Rack Chops 10oz

SIDINGS

Asparagus, Tomato Paprika Ragout, Lyonnais Potatoes

SAUCES

Bernaise, Balsamic Jus

DESSERTS

Assorted Cheeses

Tiramisu

Lemon Panna COtta

Fresh Fruits

Ice Cream & Sorbet

*** Same Repeat Menu from Last Night***

Good morning ST!

Almost was reaching for the Pompoms! ;):)

Glad the trusty thrusters got you positioned into that place which I won't even attempt to spell correctly!

We went out on the North Sea for 4 hours last September on a nice sunny day with temperatures of around 16/18C, so very pleasant for us here in the NE Scotland, but oh my goodness on board that ferry (it was a charity fund raiser for the RNLI on the car ferry which goes to/from Aberdeen to/from Orkney and Shetland) it was cold with a strong wind and I was so glad I had brought my thick padded full length coat! I know it's always colder out on the water but brrrrrr! But it was spectacular seeing MY coastline from the sea. But it did kinda squash an almost lifelong quest to sail up to the Orkneys and Shetlands!

It must be a quite strange atmosphere on board today, I think you're probably wise to snuggle up and keep out of the way!! But it will be interesting to hear of the new SOBs! LOL!

Good morning fairbourne my trusthworthy P.A.!

Funny I have been fortunate to make it into the Orkney Islands twice and they remind me very much of the Falklands Islands. You could close your eyes in either place and then open them and swear you were in the same place.;)

Just waiting here for the clothes to dry in the dryer on Deck 5 Launderette Room and then if it stops raining rabbits here we will run like rats over to the pier where the Legend is and take up their offer to have lunch onboard the Legend. If not them maybe some other time I guess. The Maitre'd Daniel Britts from South Africa is the new Maitre'd onboard that replaced Michael Simons and he saw us at Seabourn Square this morning when he came onboard and invited us over to have lunch on the Legend....was really nice of him to extend the offer.

Looking forward to checking out the new SOB's (hehhehehe) once they start coming onboard after 12:30pm or in 30 minutes time!....stay tuned!;):D;)

Just when I thought this miserable dreich day couldn't get any worse!

Dinner Options

Who needs an

or

"Surf and Turf"- Beef Tenderloin & Nigerian Shrimp

Roasted otatoes, Green Beans, Bearnaise sauce

AND BEARNAISE SAUCE! Phew ....... You really shouldn't do this to a girl of a certain age .......;):D

Looking forward to it! I don't sulk for long :p!

Good morning fairbourne my trusthworthy P.A.!

Funny i have been fortunate to make it into the Orkney Islands twice and they remind me very much of the Falklands Islands. You could close your eyes and then open them in either place and swear you were in the same place.;)

NO penguins in the Orkneys!!! :D D;)

Didn't mean I was looking forward to your surgery, but to your news - just in case anyone reading this has no idea what I'm on about!

Once Again Back Onboard;-Getting Ready to Sail for Livorno, Italy

We had lunch in the Colonnade instead this afternoon between loads of laundry which I must add the maytag machines onboard the Sojourn are much more efficient than the Miele ones on the Legend and offer faster wash cycles and dryer cycles as well.

Lunch was very relaxed and obviously not everyone knows about Seabourn's new early embarkation process which now begins from 12:30pm. I had a very tasty spagetti dish, with fresh roma tomatoes, black olives and olive oil and arugula with a glass of the Louis Latour, Ardeche. I followed this by a white chocolate mousse with a side order of plain cheesecake...was like a slice or two of heaven.

We ended up walking across to the Legend and saw so many familiar faces so much so that when we came onboard the Sojourn to the Patio Grill area Amanda, the stewardess from the Legend was visiting onboard the Sojourn with a friend and recognized us. We reminissed about her guest the "Pot Smoking Heathen" or aka by the crew as "Jimmy Hendrix" and laughed it off all over again.

We are now just getting ready to go to the Muster Drill in 10 minutes time in the Restaurant which is now mandatory for ALL paxs even if you are in transit as we are we must now attend. This is a new policy since the Costa Concordia incident.

The weather improved a lot this afternoon with the skies clering up and getting some sunshine although it is still very cool with a balmy high of 14C currently or 56F.....brrrrr...

More to come later today from onboard the Sojourn as we get ready to sail in 25 minutes time from Civitavecchia for Livorno, Italy.

Seabourntraveller - can you ask whether the triplets are offering lunch if you take advantage of the earlier 12.30 boarding time? We are sailing on the Legend in September from Monte Carlo and will be there at 12.30. If not, we will have to walk into the town and get some lunch. Thanks!

What a Muster Drill!!!!

We had of course the worse scenario possible...someone testing Seabourn's new Manadatory attendence (unless otherwise unable to attend due to medical reasons). Here we ALL are and I mean ALL in the Restaurant and of course 1 couple from cabin 623, made the whole crew go thru the roll call proceadure because they could not be located anywhere on the ship or in there stateroom and/or any public areas. The Muster Drill which should take all of 10 minutes took 30 minutes as the Hotel Manager had to be contacted to verify the missing guests were indeed onboard and also there were 3 separate announcements calling for them to identify themselves to any crew member. This went on and on with no response from them. Poor Bobby the Cruise Director looked so flustered as this is the first time that they had to go thru these new proceadures and escalate HotMan and Captain.

The Captain decided to still hold the Muster Drill minus Suite 623 and we continued the life jacket demo etc. People were muttering that they are probably in the room and too embarassed to admit to it after being called so many times. The Captain did not seem pleased over the P.A. This has now delayed our departure from Civitavecchia a bit because there is only one pilot available and we have lost our time slot and must wait for the Legend to leave and the two other cruise ships, Island Escape and Splendida.

I can see that since the Costa Concordia incident, at least on Seabourn there is ZERO tolerance for not showing up for the Muster Drill. I am suspect to believe once these two passengers are located (as they are confirmed onboard) they may be read the "Riot Act"....stay tuned.

We are just sitting here and waiting our turn to leave the port of Civitavecchia, hopefully bound for Livorno, Italy in a short period of time.

We might brave the elements tonight and do a repeat of the Patio Grill if not only to savour and knaw on those Grilled Lamb Chops even if it means parka, electric blankets and mitts in tow on a deck chair by the pool.

More to come later tonight here onboard the Sojourn awaiting our tuen to head out of Civitavecchia for Livorno, Italy.;)

Seabourntraveller - can you ask whether the triplets are offering lunch if you take advantage of the earlier 12.30 boarding time? We are sailing on the Legend in September from Monte Carlo and will be there at 12.30. If not, we will have to walk into the town and get some lunch. Thanks!

margbem;

I just asked for you and got the same response that I also found from the Seabourn website. I have cut pasted it here for you. Looks like on the little sisters they are upgrading the stale sandwich experience in the Observation Lounge with a new food items. I think it's a great idea since they probably don't have the resources and crew able to open and close the verandah on turnaround day so instead they have come up with this solution instead.

Under the new procedure, guests are welcome to board earlier beginning at approximately 12:30 p.m., and suites will be ready by 2 p.m. Seabourn Odyssey, Seabourn Sojourn and Seabourn Quest will offer a full lunch in the Colonnade, where guests can unwind and enjoy a delicious meal while their suites are being prepared by the suite stewardesses.

****Guests embarking Seabourn Pride, Seabourn Spirit and Seabourn Legend will still be welcomed in the main lounge to check in and relax as their suites are being prepared. Also, the lounge will now feature a chef preparing wraps and sandwiches at a station, plus an assortment of already-prepared “pick and go” appetizers and desserts, as well as a variety of beverages and drinks. And of course, Seabourn staff will continue to greet all arriving guests with a glass of chilled Champagne when they first walk into the lounge!****

Thanks very much for asking and for your prompt reply! We will be happy to be served a freshly made sandwich, rather than the stale bits left over as on previous cruises! We always wondered who had eaten everything when we were always on time for embarkation!!

Thanks very much for asking and for your prompt reply! We will be happy to be served a freshly made sandwich, rather than the stale bits left over as on previous cruises! We always wondered who had eaten everything when we were always on time for embarkation!!

I would be interested in knowing if you could report back from your cruise how embarkation is handled now with these freshly made sandwiches and other tasty bites.:D

I would be interested in knowing if you could report back from your cruise how embarkation is handled now with these freshly made sandwiches and other tasty bites.:D

Certainly will do, although it's not until September so I look forward to hearing from someone else boarding ne of the triplets and letting us know what it's like now.

Further Update on Sailaway;

We left almost 40 minutes late this evening because of the mishap at our Muster Drill. The Seabourn Legend past us in the port of Civitavecchia, and as we were getting ready and slowly started to leave our berth, Captain Elliott came over the P.A. to explain to everyone that the Legend would be waiting up ahead for us and we would sail together side by side for some distance before eventually going our separate ways.

As we approached the Legend a couple of nautical miles off the coast of Civitavecchia, we had an exchange of horns between both ships and eventually started to sail in tandem. It was a real treat to see us side by side with the first Seabourn Ship that we set foot on which was the Legend. It was almost like a magazine moment or brochure moment whereby they show both ships side by side within 30 meters of each other....priceless moment that we will ALWAYS remember and cherish for a longtime in our memories. She may not have all the bells and whistles as the Sojourn, but the Legend is a very ship within the Seabourn Fleet and has some of the best crew around that are so dedicated and hard working.

More to come later tonight from the Sojourn now enroute towards Livorno, Italy travelling at approx. 12 knots per hour with clear and sunny skies.:D

Certainly will do, although it's not until September so I look forward to hearing from someone else boarding ne of the triplets and letting us know what it's like now.

I agree, I hope we hear in the next couple of days or weeks how the new embarkation process is on any little sister out there?;)

Archived