Autumn on the Mediterranean - what's it like?

artmc

Hi,

We have taken many land based holidays in the Eastern Med before being converted to Celebrity cruising, mostly on Cyprus or other islands and would recommend either May / June because its not too hot, the days are longer, the vegetation hasn't dried up and the european kids are still at school.

July and August is just too hot, thats when the Greeks tend to visit relations in the UK to escape the high temps.

Failing that I would go early September to Mid October, but no later as the days are getting shorter, there is a stronger risk of rain and thunderstorms, it still can be warm like mid 70's to 80 degrees, but the evenings can turn rather chilly.

The Western med. in September / October can be very unpredictable, that's why most of the European coastal camping sites shut in mid September.

Hope my view helps your decision.

Regards

Geoff

Nr Cambridge

UK

As a general rule the weather becomes noticeably cooler mid-November in the Med, breaking down first in the eastern part. Early November you should have some very pleasant days if it's sunny. It might be a bit cool in Venice, but warm up as you head south. Don't listen to ghstudio and latitudes. They are talking nonsense (from someone who lives at the same lat as Quebec and parts of New Foundland and gets nothing like the weather there).

It's a nice time of year to go without the crowds of Summer and early Autumn. Did Venice to Athens last year starting 17th November and it was cold in Venice and Ravenna and never really warm anywhere, but it beat walking around in the heat and masses any day.

Phil

Thanks all for your info, I was really concerned more about stops in Slovenia, Corfu, Bari, Sicily. couldn't care less about Rome as I will probably leave the ship and head home same day if there are decent flights. Just hope we are too early for the flooding in St. Marks in Venice. Cruise leaves Oct 31. Last time we were there we melted...never again in the summer !

We're going on a cruise that departs October 21st. I noticed they had some water sports as shore excursions in Sicily...but I was thinking the water in the Mediterranean sea would be too cold in late October. Would anybody know if this is correct? Would it be beach weather, or should I avoid beach excursions?

We're going on a cruise that departs October 21st. I noticed they had some water sports as shore excursions in Sicily...but I was thinking the water in the Mediterranean sea would be too cold in late October. Would anybody know if this is correct? Would it be beach weather, or should I avoid beach excursions?

Not sure about beach weather. But the water still will be fairly warm.

What cruise you are on? We are on the Reflection from Barcelona to Venice leaving on Oct 21 and I didn't notice any water sports offered on any shore excursions in Sicily?

Just hope we are too early for the flooding in St. Marks in Venice. Cruise leaves Oct 31. [/quote]

I believe you can get the high water in late Sept and definitely in October. We were there trying to get our roller bags from the vaparetto to our hote in the eveningl....what a mess..and many wet clothes. The next day, we bought boots and walked on the table/walkways across San Marco. The walkways are two person wide and of course there were those who pushed thru the middle. It was fun in sort of an adventure way...but once was more than enough.

Archived