Wow have the menus changed...

jessemon

So that is first class...and we saw 3rd class (steerage)...

what was "2nd class"....middle class....what did they eat/do back in those days??

thanks

I think today we would mostly fall into 2nd class.

This site explains the different classes

http://www.the-titanic.com/Passengers/Classes.aspx

Some posted this on the site

in 2012 US dollars (approximate):

3rd class - $350-$900

2nd class - $1,000-$2,500

1st class - $3,000-$5,000

1st class parlours (huge suites) - $100,000

A search found this

Titanic

Third Class Dinner:

Soup

Fresh Bread

Biscuits

Roast Beef

Brown Gravy

Sweet Corn

Boiled Potatoes

Plum Pudding

Fruit

This actually sounds better to me. Way too much food on the first class menu.

My husband and I must be weird- or in the minority to say the least.

We cruise Carnival for the food.

Socially, we would probably fit in better on Celebrity or Princess, but my husband HATES fancy food. He doesnt mind dressing up for dinner, but he wants regular, plain food such as a sirlon and baked potato or roasted chicken and corn. He cant stand veggies, mushrooms or lumpy sauces :cool: I looked at a Celebrity menu once and couldnt find a single thing on the dinner menu I thought he would like.

So, we "slum it":p on Carnival so my husband doesnt starve. He would have been quite happy with that 3rd class menu posted above- and would have hated the 1st class meal.

To each their own, I guess.

Jaimee

I'm with your husband

To the people saying they are done with cruising Carnival because of the new menu... THANK GOD!!! because I would hate to run into you on a ship and have to put you in your place... good ridance....

i guess it's a good thing we don't wear our cruise critic screen names while on board.

I don't get all of the complaints about the new menu. We are just off the Fantasy, and ate in the MDR every night. We had no problems finding things to try and discovering things we liked. Some people comment negatively on the bacon Mac and cheese, but it was great! I had a salad every night, and I don't need a shrimp cocktail to make the dinner special. The shrimp on the ship will never compare to the local shrimp at home, so I don't bother with it. I ate the chicken pot pie from the comfort menu and it was delicious, more like one I would make more than the frozen food variety. Don't knock it until you've tried it!

I grew up in a town known for good food and highly rated in all of the travel magazines. I can hold my own in any upscale restaurant, soul food restaurant, deli, or steakhouse, and I don't do Ryan's or Golden Corral. I would never compare the food to Golden Corral, and I'm really surprised by people who do. The food on Carnival is much better than any class we've sailed on Royal Caribbean!

I don't know what people are expecting to eat on board, but realize it will be very similar to food you have in your home town. You are sailing for a great value, and your meals are included. If the food on Carnival is the deal breaker, I don't know what to tell you.

"To the people saying they are done with cruising Carnival because of the new menu... THANK GOD!!! because I would hate to run into you on a ship and have to put you in your place... good ridance...."

I am curious as to why anyone would feel compelled to "put [me] in my place" because of my cruise choices or view as to a menu. Do you suppose, for example, if I declined frogs' legs, meatloaf, fried chicken, mac and cheese one night and left the MDR, that this person would assault me? Physically? Verbally? Would there be fisticuffs? What if I just care about my cholesterol?

If I don't particularly care for a dish, whether on Carnival or another cruise line or in a restaurant, I certainly do not expect and would not appreciate someone flying after me to give me my comeuppance!

A very upscale restaurant named Cullen's that is right down the road from me recreated the last dinner served on the titanic last week. $10,000 pp. it made the national news.

I have been on a diet for so long that a nice crispy piece of fried chicken sounds pretty darn good right now!

I don't get the complaints, the comfort selection is in addition to very similar meals as in the past. No more strip steak offered nightly, flat iron instead, but other steak options available other nights prime rib, chateubriand. IMO the shrimp cocktail was never that good, nothing like you would order as an app in a nice restauraunt, they are so tiny and flavorless, I don't miss that at all.

Almost Everything we had in the dining room was very good, much better then golden corral and I don't eat at Dennys. The kids enjoyed the fried chicken and burger from the comfort menu and I enjoyed the fresh fish dishes, aldente pasta dishes, homemade soups, new appetizers, desserts that haven't changed, all very much.

We thought the food was great. A large selection, most of which are new to us. When I eat out, I prefer to eat things that I would not generally fix at home. Like prime rib and lobster. There was always something good available every night. It is absolutely no where near a Golden Corral or Ryans, despite having fried chicken and meatloaf.

this just says it all, as to how far the food has declined to even be compared to places like these.

I only mentioned them because of previous comparisons and I have only eaten at golden coral for dinner one time, never again we used to enjoy the breakfast buffet a very very long time ago (10 years at least).

There really is no comparison between these places and the food in the MDR IMO and i don't agree that there is a decline, other then the removal of the strip steak and the tiny lobster tails (still yummy though).

I have dined in fine establishments where the food wasn't as good and grossly overpriced. I find it difficult to compare the food on Carnival with the average restaurant, but maybe that's why I enjoy it, because the food is different then what I eat when I dine out (which is alway shellfish since I don't cook that at home) or make at home.

I finally got on my next Carnival Cruise...Spirit..5 day.

Sometimes dinner was cold..sometimes hot..great about 50% of the time.

The beef was always great in dining room..I had prime rib..very great cut and a funny dish that was half brisket and half tenderloin with veggies and a potatoe that was excellent..like a stuffed potato.

Butter tasted odd..spoiled or part margerine unless you got the foil packets ..the butter was a little old softened and pressed in those butter dishes or not 100% butter to my palate.

Surprised at how much bread taste had gone down hill...I think I just got old bread sometimes...the apple partry dessert in main, the croissant in room service and rolls until last night just tasted off, stale or not fresh and all like I remembered on Paradise in 2009.

I had dinner in steakhouse first night and the meal was tepid not hot..mashed potatoes cold..meat good prime..lobster so so..got the tenderloin and tail. The spinich salad had some slimy mushroom sauce that had coagulated like beef juice and was too pre pre-prepped, spinich not fresh enough..maybe the first night is not as good as after they get going because too many other tasks involved.

The second cruise elegant night the lobster and shrimp were not as good as the Paradise.

On each occaision I could have re-ordered or had another option..all hot and cold soups were wonderful...I wish I had ordered three hot soup cups and 2 cold one night.

So 50 percent of time food was great and could have done something when bad or cold if I wanted to..but just did not fight it except for butter..lido was sometimes a good dish and sometimes just tasteless..hard to explain ..like the apple pastry looked wonderful for dessert in dining and was awful..oh well..one can still return things and get something else..so hit and miss this time compared to 2009..but still had some good food and will not starve..I just think it is costs and cuts..holding bread longer..maybe cheaper flour sometimes....etc....and I could have exchanged things..just needed a trip w/o much fighting those issues..sadly I must add to the "it has gone downhill" group based only on a four day in 2009 and 5 day starting Easter Sunday..some weeks are off..I do think they were prepping to be good for the longer Hawaii cruise..hope they got better...Sarah

Not a fan of ordering comfort food in DR but as long as they have other selections no big deal.

Stu, just out of curiosity, do you post, even the most inane comments to get to the 20,000 mark?

Just curious

Sjn911' perhaps you had a bad ship or sailing, we had one cold dish in the MDR and one soggy fried shrimp (out of a minimum of 8 entrees x 5 nights) other then that no issues, fresh bread, fresh pastries.

Ive had one cruise where the food wasn't up to par, I think it was our 3rd Sensation sailing.

I'm reading this thread with great interest as we have never sailed on Carnival but just booked our first cruise. I had always thought of Carnival as the right fit for young party-goers and hell-raisers but others who have sailed on Carnival have changed my thoughts.

We will sail in July and we are intrigued to become familiar with most things Carnival Miracle has to offer (the "party" aspect is one of the areas where we will opt out). But the thrill of exploring a new ship, the delight in finding that the new cruise line does something better than an old favorite, etc are keeping us on edge. We had been looking forward to some delicious food - now I'm a little worried. It may not be the change in menu items (although I love duck) but hot food should arrive relatively hot and butter should taste like butter...if you know what I mean. The steak house sounds fabulous but my husband is just not that into steak. Also, since cruise ships can't use an open flame even high quality meat doesn't have that extra char-broiled goodness that I love in a good steak. I do hope the MDR can provide fresh good-tasting food whatever it is. Guess we'll find out for ourselves in July!

Sjn911' perhaps you had a bad ship or sailing, we had one cold dish in the MDR and one soggy fried shrimp (out of a minimum of 8 entrees x 5 nights) other then that no issues, fresh bread, fresh pastries.

Ive had one cruise where the food wasn't up to par, I think it was our 3rd Sensation sailing.

Highly possible ...tried to be clear and fair...

:)

If you want butter, just ask. Sheesh.

P1130797.JPG

I did!!

But the stuff pressed in the fancy domed dishes in steak house and dining was not like 100% butter and what one would presume would/should be and tasted old..s.

Also..this cruise left Easter Sunday...so yes there were adults and kids from 6 on in all dining areas..yes..a family with 3 entered halfway through my early steakhouse dinner...700 kids on the ship and most bunks used..only thing that bothered me was the jumping off bunks all around me and slamming of closets etc..Kids are kids..but quiet by midnight..we were full and the traffic flow was still great on the Spirit..that I loved...still had a good cruise but want to try other lines too..and my feeling is they were using up things and getting ready for Hawaii in some areas..perhaps..Sarah

I'm reading this thread with great interest as we have never sailed on Carnival but just booked our first cruise. I had always thought of Carnival as the right fit for young party-goers and hell-raisers but others who have sailed on Carnival have changed my thoughts.

We will sail in July and we are intrigued to become familiar with most things Carnival Miracle has to offer (the "party" aspect is one of the areas where we will opt out). But the thrill of exploring a new ship, the delight in finding that the new cruise line does something better than an old favorite, etc are keeping us on edge. We had been looking forward to some delicious food - now I'm a little worried. It may not be the change in menu items (although I love duck) but hot food should arrive relatively hot and butter should taste like butter...if you know what I mean. The steak house sounds fabulous but my husband is just not that into steak. Also, since cruise ships can't use an open flame even high quality meat doesn't have that extra char-broiled goodness that I love in a good steak. I do hope the MDR can provide fresh good-tasting food whatever it is. Guess we'll find out for ourselves in July!

If you go knowing it is a family entry level line...they do a very good job...I think I caught a bad cruise food wise but it has happened more often lately, bad reports,..I still like lots of things and did not starve..but the poor things were very sad..expecially cold food and bad salad in steakhouse and cold lower quality shrimp and lobster on elegant night...I am not thak picky and a rather bland eater...not too spicey etc...and went from elated on Paradise to diasappointed on Spirit..you have a very good class of ship picked though...loved the ship and flow..Sarah

The dome things aren't new. I like asking for butter because you never know where the dome things have been.

DSC02051.JPG

In the steakhouse, I've never seen the dome things but maybe some ships have them. I'm pretty sure 2 out of the 3 aren't even trying to be butter

DSC_1354.JPG

I think it would be possible to get real butter there, too. Even in an Italian restaurant when they bring you olive oil stuff you can usually get real butter.

Archived