cruise where next

Buranogal

I see a lot of people have sailed The Carribean. Would like some input as to the best itinerary and places to see. thanx

Some big generalizations:

The Western Caribbean itineraries include more history since they'll pick up ports with Mayan past. For example, the ruins of Tulum are accessible via ferry from the port of Cozumel in the Caribbean Interlude and the Mayan Mystique cruises.

The Eastern and Southern itineraries include a mixture of history (e.g. Old San Juan on the Idyllic Isles cruise), shopping and lovely beaches. (e.g. Antigua and St. Lucia on Idyllic Isles)

Now, my personal take...

I've probably cruised and taken land vacations in the Caribbean over two dozen times. I go there for the warmth and relaxation, but beyond that, the Caribbean doesn't have a lot of "there" there. From the East Coast of the US a trip to the Caribbean is worth the body-in-an-airplane time, but hardly worth it considering you'll be traveling from Australia. That's especially true when you consider that the timing of Caribbean cruises tends to be during Austalia's summer. However, I would encourage you to book a cruise that goes through the Panama Canal. Going through the Panama Canal is definitely a special-enough experience to fly from Australia. Besies, you'll pick up some the rest & relaxation at the port calls in the Caribbean before the canal and the Mexican ports after the canal.

After about 40 Caribbean cruises, we do have our favorite itineraries. We live ner the Ft Lauderdale and Miami piers, so tend to do these cruises a couple of times a year. We like the Eastern and Southern itineraries- better beaches and shopping. St Thomas is the jewelry shopping mecca, as is St. Maarten, but both have gorgeous beaches as well. Aruba is another favorite port, as is st Kitts and Barbados. A ten day cruise from S. Florida can get to most of those areas. If you want only a week and have to fly down, starting and ending in San Juan, Puerto Rico gives you more ports and allows you to avoid the two day cruise down to the Caribbean, when the winds often preclude enjoying the pool area.

We are booked for the Western Caribbean on the Riviera in February, 2013. This cruise goes to a few places we haven't seen, like Guatamala and Honduras. It also goes to Grand Cayman and Ket West, which are OK to see once, but how many times do you need to feed the stingrays, which is the main attraction of the Caymans. Cozumel is a decent port, but the main ruins and attractions are on Playa Del Carmen, a hellacious 45 minute ferry ride from Cozumel.

A Panama Canal cruise is something worth doing - there are 10 day round trip versions from Ft. Lauderdale. They include a stop in Costa Rica, which has some attractions, and sometimes Aruba- I would avoid Jamaica if it stops there.

The best time to go is December through March- after hurricane season and before it gets too hot.

A cruise we really enjoyed was from Miami through the Panama Canal ending in Vancouver. (We love Vancouver) It was 21 days. We could have gotten off in Los Angeles. It included stops in the Western Caribbean, Central America and Mexico, so it gave you a little bit of a number of places. Going through the Panama Canal was a great expericence. I concur with the previous opinion about the Western Caribean - we have enjoyed visiting the Myan ruins on several occassions - if you enjy that kind of thing. We did both the eastern and western caribbean this year again, but it was really for R&R to escape winter and relax -not worth a long flight from Australia IMHO for just that. Whatever you decide, happy cruising. P.S. Love your country.

Thank you all so much for all your helpful information. Will certainly give the replies a lot of thought. Doing East West med in July, have done Hawaii, river cruise down Danube and Sydney to Vanuate so US looks enticing. Thanks again Liz down under

Findacruise Glad you like OZ but have you been to Tasmania? Famous for Port Arthur Cradle Mountain best beef in the world, cheeses wines clean and green cheers Liz

I will put that on my bucket list for our return. Sounds like our kind of place. We will go back to OZ and NZ. Did 27 days on land but missed Tasmania. Can't do it all - so big just like US.

Joanna

Archived