New to RC - Sailing on Explorer 5/5/12 Bermuda

Hi Everyone!

I'm a new patron to RC, sailing on the Explorer 5/5/12 sailing to Bermuda for my birthday with my BF. I've been using NCL exclusively for years but after my last trip on the Epic, one of their new boats, was sorely disappointed and decided to branch off and try another cruise line.

I've booked a balcony room on Deck 7 - one of the few left (this was a last minute decision), rather aft but we don't mind that, plus the Library is on that level which works for my BF who doesn't sleep very well at times; he'll be able to take the laptop there so he doesn't disturb me, and do his blogging if need be.

I've cruised many times before, him twice so we know the drill well enough as to what to expect in general but not having sailed with RC, could use some knowledge from those who have as I know each cruise line (and boat) has it's own little perks or things to watch out for. Like what areas of the boat are the quietest to hang out on (we're both 53 and really not into the party life any longer) and is Portofino worth the upcharge (we have used NCL's better restaurants and loved them). Also - does anyone know what nights better meals are served in the main dining room on a 5 night cruise? I'm thinking if Portofino is worth it, that we'd book it for 5/6 which is my birthday, however, if that turns out to be seafood night in the MDR, perhaps we'd skip that and do it another evening.

Also - do people honestly dress up on formal night? I found on NCL they did not. We're debating if my BF needs to pack his suit or not. We'd love to be able to just take overnight luggage (we live near the port) instead of dragging more than we need to. We both could live with not doing the formal in lieu of being casual and not having to pack too much :D This vacation, for us, is about relaxing and not stressing. Honestly, we don't care about dressing up. We can do that at home lol.

Also, we've both been to Bermuda before (this will be my 3rd time, his 2nd) and we don't want to rely on a cruise tour this time around for our entertainment. We'd like to venture out on our own the day that we're in port for the full day and head out to Crystal Caves. I've been there many years back and he is dying to see them. It seems rather easy to get there, ferry to Hamilton from Kings Wharf and then the bus right to their doorstep. If anyone has any tips about making this trip, I'd really appreciate it - especially for the way back to the boat. We'd love to make some stops on the way back, to take photos particularly but the bus scheduling worries me as far as how often they run. I'd hate to get stuck standing at a bus stop for 1/2 an hour!

I probably have other questions but that's all I can think of at the moment. So, any wisdom you can give about your experiences is highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Laurie

Deck 4 outside is a great place for either a walk or a quiet place to watch the sea. But I recommend your own balcony for a quiet spot! During the day, the Viking Crown lounge way up top is usually not crowded and you get interesing views of the pool deck and ocean. You do not need to dress formally for "formal nights". Many just dress in nice casual clothing. The manner of dress is suggested, not mandatory! Usually there is seafood on each night's menu as one of the entree selctions. So there's not one seafood night. I think Portofino is worth the $20 pp charge. You might find a menu if you search these boards. Be advised that the menu on RCI's website is not the current menu. I can tell you that many go for the seafood skewer. I persaonlly prefer the lamb chops, tho' I am a big seafood fan, and there is also a very good filet offered in Portofino. The desert sampler is to die for! Hope you have a great cruise on the Explorer.

Men's dress on formal night on RC

Per Radio:

“Tonight was Formal night, and I would say about 10% of the males were in tuxes. . . There were about 50% who were in Suits or Sport coats. I was one of the 30% who wore a dress shirt and tie. The other 10 % wore just about anything they wanted. . . I will leave my comments at the door.“

I agree. I have also seen dress military uniforms and dress versions of clothes from other cultures (such as Japan).

For women, also a broad range. Black slacks/skirt with glittery top to gowns. The most striking I have seen is a little Japanese woman in a white formal kimono gown. Next to that would have to be what ever my wife is wearing. Formal night(s) are a good time to have a picture taken. The photographers will be all over the ship giving you a choice of backgrounds.

We tend to like a plain white back drop. They will also be taking pic's in the MDR. Couples & maybe the entire table.

IMHO

For WOMEN. no flip flops/swim suits/flimsy cover ups

RC has dinner time dress in 4 styles: first night, Casual, smart casual & formal.

For formal anything from black slacks & sparkly top to formal gowns.

For casual anything but shorts, stopping before formal gowns

For smart casual, same as casual but a little nicer.

First night is almost anything goes

For MEN, no shirts without sleeves

For formal anything from shirt & tie to tux

....(most men will wear dark suit, dress shirt & tie)

for casual, slacks & polo shirt

For smart casual, slacks & button down shirt

Thanks everyone. So, it sounds like it's the same with this line as with NCL.

In some ways, it's a shame that people don't take the formal night seriously anymore. On the other hand, I'm somewhat relieved as we're trying hard to pack light since it's only a 5 night cruise.

Also, is it true that Starbucks has replaced Seattle's Best as the coffee "store"? For us, this is a plus. I was thinking of bringing some of their Via instant packages for the room, since we intend to call in for room service now and then. I figured we'd prefer getting hot water and making our own and the Via is surprisingly good for what it is. Both of us tend prefer a quieter atmosphere in the morning and having breakfast on the balcony is certainly something to look forward to. But it will also be nice to know I can get my iced latte fix when needed :D

BTW, I found Portofino's menu online somewhere and it does look wonderful. I think we'll be booking it for sure at least one night :D

Thanks again!

Men's dress on formal night on RC

Per Radio:

“Tonight was Formal night, and I would say about 10% of the males were in tuxes. . . There were about 50% who were in Suits or Sport coats. I was one of the 30% who wore a dress shirt and tie. The other 10 % wore just about anything they wanted. . . I will leave my comments at the door.“

I agree. I have also seen dress military uniforms and dress versions of clothes from other cultures (such as Japan).

For women, also a broad range. Black slacks/skirt with glittery top to gowns. The most striking I have seen is a little Japanese woman in a white formal kimono gown. Next to that would have to be what ever my wife is wearing. Formal night(s) are a good time to have a picture taken. The photographers will be all over the ship giving you a choice of backgrounds.

We tend to like a plain white back drop. They will also be taking pic's in the MDR. Couples & maybe the entire table.

IMHO

For WOMEN. no flip flops/swim suits/flimsy cover ups

RC has dinner time dress in 4 styles: first night, Casual, smart casual & formal.

For formal anything from black slacks & sparkly top to formal gowns.

For casual anything but shorts, stopping before formal gowns

For smart casual, same as casual but a little nicer.

First night is almost anything goes

For MEN, no shirts without sleeves

For formal anything from shirt & tie to tux

....(most men will wear dark suit, dress shirt & tie)

for casual, slacks & polo shirt

For smart casual, slacks & button down shirt

I'm on vacation not display!

Also, we've both been to Bermuda before (this will be my 3rd time, his 2nd) and we don't want to rely on a cruise tour this time around for our entertainment. We'd like to venture out on our own the day that we're in port for the full day and head out to Crystal Caves. I've been there many years back and he is dying to see them. It seems rather easy to get there, ferry to Hamilton from Kings Wharf and then the bus right to their doorstep. If anyone has any tips about making this trip, I'd really appreciate it - especially for the way back to the boat. We'd love to make some stops on the way back, to take photos particularly but the bus scheduling worries me as far as how often they run. I'd hate to get stuck standing at a bus stop for 1/2 an hour!

You can also take the ferry from the Dockyard to St. George, and take a bus from there, much shorter bus ride, little longer ferry ride, usually the ferry ride is more relaxing. St. Georges is a nice place to hit a few shops and see some of Bermuda's history if you wish, they have an old chucrh and cemetary right in town that always draws a crowd.

We usually try to get to the caves around 11 and then walk up the street 1/4 mile to the Swizzle Inn for lunch. If your into snorkeling or beaches, you can take a short cab ride from St. Georges to Tobacco Bay and do some snorkeling, sunbathing and even have a drink and lunch if you skipped the Swizzle Inn. You can walk it but its hilly and about 1 mile, cab ride is only around $9 for a group of 5. Last ferry back from St. Georges is around 3:30.

We have not sailed Royal in 20 years. So much has changed in cruising since then, we will be essentially new to Royal. We are not new to Bermuda though. Bermuda may be the best place for heading out on your own. The people are friendly and helpful and there is plenty of information to be had on the CC Bermuda board, other places online, and in Bermuda itself.

IMO, the best way to get from the Dockyard to Hamilton or St. George is by ferry. You can purchase one, two, or three day transit passes at the pier for the busses and ferries. The bus is also good, but takes longer than the ferry. You will need the bus to get to intermediate points between the Dockyard, Hamilton, and St. George.

Archived