Fairbanks car rental

c bear

We have a full day in Fairbanks at the end of our cruisetour (plane leaves at 9:40 pm). We were thinking of renting a car for the day to get around Fairbanks to see the Museum of the North and perhaps Pioneer Park. Do you think a rental car is necessary or can this be done with public transportation? And is there a place to rent a car in downtown Fairbanks close to the hotels or only at the airport?

Fairbanks isn't so big population-wise as compared to cities in the lower 48, but it sure is a sprawling city! I think you'd waste a lot of time by using the bus. Definitely rent a car. Car rentals are scattered all over, just like hotels. Check out this site for rentals. Or google.

http://fairbanks-alaska.com/car-rentals-fairbanks.htm

Are you doing the Riverboat and goldmine tours on the cruisetour? Both are very good. In addition to the 2 attractions you mentioned, you could also visit the Morris Thompson Culture Center, the Pipeline Exhibit at the edge of town is interesting, Creamers Field Bird Refuge is good for bird watching and nice walking paths. I've heard the Antique Car Museum is excellent.

(we planned to drive to Chena Hot Springs but only for moose viewing; since we saw several moose in Denali and during our drives we didn't go.)

My only recommendation is to get a rental car. One day is limited and why would you want to waste time, "waiting" for transportation?

You will be able to drive yourself direct to the airport, with your luggage. Best choice all the way around.

Thanks for all the replies. We do want to rent a car, just need to see which hotel Princess is putting us at so we can decide if we can rent a car somewhere downtown, or if we have to get to the airport in the am to do it.

I shopped around for car rentals in Fairbanks. The best price I got was with a website called vroomvroomvroom dot com. I have used them before - they gave me a rental for Hawaii last year. Being paranoid, I called Alamo just to verify that I actually had a car rental - yes. You can also cancel without penalty.

Other sites are Costco or BJ's warehouse - look in the travel section on the website. I've never had to show a costco or bj's membership card, but I would verify this if you use them.

Keep in mind that the closer to your travel date that you reserve a car, the more expensive the car rental is. Also, be pretty sure of your reservation when you book it. If you get a good price and then have to change your reservation, they often won't honor the good price you previously got.

Thanks for all the replies. We do want to rent a car, just need to see which hotel Princess is putting us at so we can decide if we can rent a car somewhere downtown, or if we have to get to the airport in the am to do it.

I would just book the car from the airport. You will be driving yourself to the airport when you leave anyway.

Archived