Security/luggage

mchelle77

Just curious (because the last thing I want to deal with at the start of my vacation is standing in line for the "naughty room"!!) - if I check a backpack that has an over-the-door shoe holder inside with metal hooks, is that going to cause a problem? Should I just toss the hooks in my carry-on so I can easily deal with showing them what they are, or will they be able to see on the detector that they're hooks and NOT giant bottles of vodka? :)

None that I've ever seen, but isn't it just metal in general that sets off a noise on a metal detector? Or are they more of an x-ray scan?

I don't fly and this is my first cruise. I know nothing about security. So it would be cool to get an actual answer instead of snark. :) Thanks!

Your luggage will be scanned by x-ray, not metal detectors.

I would think that the over the door hooks would not raise suspicion, but that is just a guess. If it is not a big problem, put the holder in your carry on so that any questions can be settled then, not later.

I think I'll just throw them in a zippered outside pocket of my checked bag (so they can poke in if they need to).

Thanks for a helpful answer!

It wasn't snark. I was trying to determine what you were taking aboard because no door hanger I've ever seen look like a bottle of booze

You can likely put those in any luggage, carry-on or checked. It won't matter. They are looking for specific things in checked luggage, like booze, firearms, hot plates, and other things they don't want on the ship. Hooks don't fall into that category.

Have a nice trip

I think I'll just throw them in a zippered outside pocket of my checked bag (so they can poke in if they need to).

Thanks for a helpful answer!

Doubtful it will be a problem. But, if they do suspect something, they won't poke.... they'll set it aside and you'll be called down to open it for them.

I'd be more concerned about putting it in the carry-on bag. Airport security can get funny at times. I'd hate for them to confiscate them when I'm sure they would be fine in the checked luggage.

Or ... move them to your carry-on once you get to the port if you are really concerned.

The only place in your travel that there is any concern over items is the airport. The ship is only looking for VERY serious items. You can even take knives aboard.

Taking metal on an airplane is just fine. Those roll on bags have lots of metal. Hair curlers, irons, computers, cables, dvd players, have lots of metal. People also carry on CPAP machines, extension cords, and other stuff. Weapons, fluids, knives are pretty much all that are restricted.

Archived