Newbie rum runners

Ok question on rum runners.

If you get caught what happens? Do you get kicked off ship? Do you get the booze back at the end of the cruise?

What sizes have the best chance of getting through? What size rum runners should I buy?

We will be flying to port so I don't think we can buy the alcohol until we are in the city we are cruising from. So then do you hide them on your body or put them in your carry on or checked luggage?

Thanks,

They make you walk the plank;)

They will confiscate it, but what they do after that can vary from port to port.

The rest of your questions I can't answer because we don't smuggle anything. But, do a search for alcohol, rum runners, smuggling and you'll get answers to every question you could possibly have.

I successfully used the rum runners last month. While I can't speak to what happens if you get caught, I would just assume that they will be tossed and you won't get them back. They won't kick you off the ship, they want you to use that Sea Pass card!

I brought 4 16 oz rum runners that were filled the night before embarkation. I placed two of them inside shoes in a suitcase that was given to the porters at the pier. My brother in law did the same. The 16 oz bladder is a nice size. Our suitcases made it through security and were at our rooms before we got there.

My sister in law had to go to the naughty room for a hair dryer that looked like a curling iron. She got her hair dryer back.

I would suggest not wearing the Rum Runners T shirt at embarkation.

If you get caught what happens? Do you get kicked off ship? Do you get the booze back at the end of the cruise?

In over 10 years of monitoring posts on the subject I have seen only one recounting of someone caught with alcohol being denied boarding and that was after they got irrate and punched a security officer.

In rest of the cases they just confiscate it. Items non in un-opened origial containers are dumped so your lose both booze and rum runner. New wording inthe policies indicates that on embarkation day NO items will be returned at cruise end but at port stops they will be held. In reality they seem to not be enforcing this anywhere (yet) and still hold original up-opened items.

Do they not allow a curling iron? I use a curling brush. Wonder if that would get through?

Louise

I had the same question so I went to their Live Chat and asked about hot rollers (I have long hair)....this is their response:

Curling/Hair Straiteners are fine, no hot rollers, clothes irons/steamers, hot pads or any other heating element is permitted

what about one of those blow dryers with a brush attached.....I'm just trying to decide what to do with my hair on formal nights!

It shouldn't be an issue

She was rather kurt with her responses......I certainly can understand fire hazards, but it's not like I'm bringing on a hot pad and going to cook my own food! Guess my choice is to make a hair appointment (not gonna happen!) or just let it hang!! So much for getting dolled up for formal night!!

Do they not allow a curling iron? I use a curling brush. Wonder if that would get through?

Louise

So far on the 4 crusies we have taken I have packed in my suite case (not my carry on) a full set of hot curlers an a regular curling iron for my hair. Never had any one say anythign to me and I keep them on the vanity in the cabin ! Also in August 10' we took our DD's and one of them had a flat iron (hair straightener). Hope this helps you.

I took 2 16oz RR on the Monarch of the Sea's last week at Port Canaveral. One was packed in a checked bag, the other I carried thru security in my shorts pocket. Both made it thru without a problem. We also had 2 bottles of water that we took thru security that they never even looked at.

Louise

I always bring a curling iron in my carry on. did go to the naughty room for electric curlers but they didn't take them. now put them in my carry on

Ok question on rum runners.

What sizes have the best chance of getting through? What size rum runners should I buy?

We will be flying to port so I don't think we can buy the alcohol until we are in the city we are cruising from. So then do you hide them on your body or put them in your carry on or checked luggage?

Thanks,

We pack the rum-runners with other liquids and they make it through just fine. We also buy our alcohol before we leave home, but put it in our checked luggage. The last thing I want to do is run-around at the last minute looking for alcohol.

We put it in the rum-runners after we get to our hotel (always fly in the day before). Then throw away the bottles.

No problems at all. :)

Then throw away the bottles.

One time I put some pancake syrup in the empty plastic 750ml bottle and then filled with hot water. Made a very Bourbon looking liquid. Then packed right on top in suitcase before heading to port. Just to see if they would find it. Nope - I got my nasty syrup water just fine. :D

One time I put some pancake syrup in the empty plastic 750ml bottle and then filled with hot water. Made a very Bourbon looking liquid. Then packed right on top in suitcase before heading to port. Just to see if they would find it. Nope - I got my nasty syrup water just fine. :D

That is funny yet gross at the same time :p:eek:

OP: usually rum runners are not caught - but do a search and also check out the "saving money" section - lots of info to answer all your questions there.

I have filled them before leaving home (we always fly) and have never had a problem in flight. Just need to follow the directions and not over fill them.

Enjoy your cruise ... :)

rum runners have always gotten through in our checked lauggage. Last cruise though they took it (runm runner) out of our friend's cabin and left a note. They gave it back to them at the end of the cruise. This is the FIRST time it was taken out of a cabin. (It was in the fridge) They asked their cabin attendent and he said he did not do it. It was the guy who stocks the fridge or mini bar. So I always tell my cabin guy I am taking everything out of the fridge and using it for my own stuff and NOT to restock it. I usually put the stuff on a shelf where they can find it easily. Or you can ask you cabin attendent to take care of it for you.

Archived