HAL Shore Excursion

jmkennett

Hi. Not sure if this should go under this forum or the HAL forum, but it is specific to HAL? We are booked on the July 18, NA sailing (Italy, Greece, Turkey). I have a question of HAL's thinking on a certain shore excursion. Any idea why HAL's shore excursion dept. only offers a four hour "On Your Own" tour of Athens? We are there from 8-5, but this one returns at 12:30. I would think if you want to see Athens for the day on you own, they could give you eight hours, like their own guided tours, rather than four. It is only 40 minutes from Pireaus to the Plaka area. Doesn't make sense. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Ouch! It's bad enough that cruise lines already gouge passengers for transportation to/from ports (often when good public transportation options are available), but now they are even shortening the amount of time.

I'm guessing HAL is offering such a short time because they are hoping you will book an afternoon tour with them so they can make even more $$$ from you. :rolleyes:

All kidding aside, I have noticed HAL tends to offer somewhat shorter excursions in general than some other lines I've cruised with -- perhaps due to the generally older age of their passengers? Just a thought.

At any rate, as I hinted above, transportation into Athens is cheap and easy if you take the metro (many posts on here with step by step instructions). Even a taxi from the ship to the Plaka, near the Acropolis, will be about 20 euro total one way. And I'd say it's even less than 40 minutes.

We're wondering the same thing!

We're on the Noordam in September and I couldn't believe they only offer that transportation option. I was considering it just so we'd be set in case of a transportation strike. A poster on our Roll Call was at that port last year and there was a strike the day they were in port. Anyone who wasn't on a ship or private tour had no way to get into Athens. Even the taxis weren't running. I didn't really want to do an organized tour just wanted the transfer but the short time allowed is just ridiculous.

I haven't been able to find a private company that just does a transfer, yet. But there must be someone for people just going to hotels when a cruise ends in Athens. If anyone is aware of a private company who offers this service I'd appreciate it if you could post the information.

Thanks!

Ouch! It's bad enough that cruise lines already gouge passengers for transportation to/from ports (often when good public transportation options are available), but now they are even shortening the amount of time.

I'm guessing HAL is offering such a short time because they are hoping you will book an afternoon tour with them so they can make even more $$$ from you. :rolleyes:

All kidding aside, I have noticed HAL tends to offer somewhat shorter excursions in general than some other lines I've cruised with -- perhaps due to the generally older age of their passengers? Just a thought.

At any rate, as I hinted above, transportation into Athens is cheap and easy if you take the metro (many posts on here with step by step instructions). Even a taxi from the ship to the Plaka, near the Acropolis, will be about 20 euro total one way. And I'd say it's even less than 40 minutes.

Thank you for your response. I was thinking about the afternoon possibilities as well, but they don't offer any. Guess I'll do it on my own. This is weird one. Not sure their reasons for it.

We're wondering the same thing!

We're on the Noordam in September and I couldn't believe they only offer that transportation option. I was considering it just so we'd be set in case of a transportation strike. A poster on our Roll Call was at that port last year and there was a strike the day they were in port. Anyone who wasn't on a ship or private tour had no way to get into Athens. Even the taxis weren't running. I didn't really want to do an organized tour just wanted the transfer but the short time allowed is just ridiculous.

I haven't been able to find a private company that just does a transfer, yet. But there must be someone for people just going to hotels when a cruise ends in Athens. If anyone is aware of a private company who offers this service I'd appreciate it if you could post the information.

Thanks!

I know it's unnerving, but the vast majority of folks who stopped in Athens last year (and the year before, when strikes were also occurring) did not experience any disruptions.

I can't help with a private company; I have a feeling most hotels in Athens know someone they can call on to help guests. Kind of like you have to know someone who knows someone..... I'm not sure that would help unless you're talking about an actual transfer to a hotel where you're planning to stay.

I think I remember reading some posts on this board from folks last year who did make arrangements in advance with someone for transportation to Athens and back, to the tune of around 50 euro total. If you search, you can probably turn something up.

Some of the "taxi drivers" that others have used are, I think, private drivers and may still be able to make arrangements to drive you in the event of a public strike.

I know it's unnerving, but the vast majority of folks who stopped in Athens last year (and the year before, when strikes were also occurring) did not experience any disruptions.

I can't help with a private company; I have a feeling most hotels in Athens know someone they can call on to help guests. Kind of like you have to know someone who knows someone..... I'm not sure that would help unless you're talking about an actual transfer to a hotel where you're planning to stay.

I think I remember reading some posts on this board from folks last year who did make arrangements in advance with someone for transportation to Athens and back, to the tune of around 50 euro total. If you search, you can probably turn something up.

Some of the "taxi drivers" that others have used are, I think, private drivers and may still be able to make arrangements to drive you in the event of a public strike.

Thanks for the info on private taxi drivers. My husband and I were talking about this after I posted and we've decided we're going to take our chances that there won't be a problem on our day. I think the odds are in our favor. We just don't want to pay for a tour or a transfer that's not what we want.

And if things don't work out we'll just have to visit again someday! :)

Thanks for the info on private taxi drivers. My husband and I were talking about this after I posted and we've decided we're going to take our chances that there won't be a problem on our day. I think the odds are in our favor. We just don't want to pay for a tour or a transfer that's not what we want.

And if things don't work out we'll just have to visit again someday! :)

Sounds like a good plan.

You can monitor the situation as your cruise gets closer. Last year, there was a thread on the Tripadvisor Athens forum that listed all known strikes as soon as they were announced.

Sounds like a good plan.

You can monitor the situation as your cruise gets closer. Last year, there was a thread on the Tripadvisor Athens forum that listed all known strikes as soon as they were announced.

I think that's all we can do. We'll keep an eye on the situation and hope for the best.

Thanks for the reminder about Trip Advisor. I use them quite a bit for land trips but for some reason forget about them when I'm planning a cruise vacation.

I posted this on the HAL board as well. So, I spoke with the Shore Excursion department and the answer was they are at the mercy of the tour operator. This is what the tour operator gives them, so that is why it is only four hours long. Seems to be a dumb answer to me. Last I cheked HAL is the customer and they could probably tell tthe TO we want an eight hour option. In my opinion it is more along the lines of we want you to purchase our $249 eight hour tour, rather than the $59, four hour transfer. I think I'll take the metro for a few Euros. Appreciate the info.

. I think I'll take the metro for a few Euros. Appreciate the info.

Sounds good to me. In 2009 I went to the Acropolis for 2 euros each way (1 bus, 1 train, 30-45 minutes) and then got a ticket for the Acropolis complex. We had a good 6 hours to see what we wanted, which included this

and 2 hours in the superb New Acropolis Museum.

Good luck luck with the public transport. Hopefully you (and all cruisers) will be fine as they need us more than ever now. All the best, Tony

I posted this on the HAL board as well. So, I spoke with the Shore Excursion department and the answer was they are at the mercy of the tour operator. This is what the tour operator gives them, so that is why it is only four hours long. Seems to be a dumb answer to me. Last I checked HAL is the customer and they could probably tell the TO we want an eight hour option. In my opinion it is more along the lines of we want you to purchase our $249 eight hour tour, rather than the $59, four hour transfer. I think I'll take the metro for a few Euros. Appreciate the info.

It does seem to be a rather a lame excuse. A quick look around online shows many tour operators that will customize tours. I'm sure for such a large client (HAL) they would do anything they could to secure that business.

When we were there a few years ago we took the train in and back and did the city on our own. This was before their economic situation, but don't really think it would make any difference. Lovely large city and you really need more than 4 hours - I think!

Archived