Allure 4-8 to 4-15

Just back from the Allure Western from 4/8 to 4/15.

I spent everyday on cruisecritic for 6 months researching and I have to say that all the negative comments about this ship were completely unfounded.

We had a fantastic cruise. The food was great and the service was exceptional. It is the best cruise we have ever been on. The only time we knew there were a lot of kids on board was when we went to the Boardwalk or walked by the main pools.

We had My Time Dining and sat at the same table with the same waiter/asst waiter each night. They were fantastic (Michelle and Suellen). We ate at Samba Grill, Rita's Fiesta, Chops, and Giovanni's. All were good with Giovanni's being our favorite.

We did Hilton Rose Hall in Jamaica as our excursion and it was the best day for us on the cruise. So relaxing, all inclusive and thoroughly enjoyable. We did the X-rails in Cozumel - got dusty and muddy but had a great time.

We did all the shows and the entertainment was great. The Headliner, Mosaic was our favorite show. The comedians were fantastic.

Everyone had a smile and was friendly. The Solarium was an excellent place to spend time while at sea.

The weather was fantastic and the water was like glass (except the last day).

If anyone has questions, I will be happy to answer them. I did bring all the compasses home but will not have time to scan them anytime soon. They are identical to others posted on here.

We were in a D5 ocean balcony on Deck 12. Excellent cabin on the beginning of the hump.

We did not do the dining package as we did not want to be locked into Chops on the first night and wanted to make sure our other dinner reservations were in sync with the shows we planned. We booked them all individually.

Samba Grill was booked in advance but we found out that if you go to Samba on the 1st or 2nd night and you have My Time Dining, it was half price and was adjusted right at the restaurant. That was a nice surprise.

What was the Headliner show the Mosaic about?

We were on Allure the week before you & the headliner was the ABBA tribute show. I missed that one but my DDs enjoyed it

The shows on Allure were some of the best I've ever seen onboard ships!

We were in a D5 ocean balcony on Deck 12. Excellent cabin on the beginning of the hump.

We did not do the dining package as we did not want to be locked into Chops on the first night and wanted to make sure our other dinner reservations were in sync with the shows we planned. We booked them all individually.

Samba Grill was booked in advance but we found out that if you go to Samba on the 1st or 2nd night and you have My Time Dining, it was half price and was adjusted right at the restaurant. That was a nice surprise.

If you don't mind, what cabin were you in? We are in a D5 in June with the kids across the hall in a C1. Trying to experience both types of balconies.

A couple of questions on the restaurants. Do you know for the Fiesta if you book the package with drinks can you get something other than margaritas or beer? My DD (21) would like to have the drinks, but doesn't care for either of those (unlike mom and dad). Trying to figure out if we book with drinks or without and let her just buy drinks as she wants them.

We also have my DS (17) sailing with us. Looking to do one other specialty restaurant during the week. DD is more picky, will not eat seafood at all, while DS is much more adventurous but doesn't like to sit for a long drawn out dinner. Thinking of either Samba or Giovanni's. Would you have a recommendation?

Thanks

I was in 12590. We were originally booked in 12595 (Central Park Balcony) but we were able to upgrade a few weeks before the cruise to an OV one instead. The roll call group did a cabin crawl and we were able to see Central Park balcony, Grand Suite, Owners Suite and Aqua Suite. The Aqua Suite is unbelievable!!!

We did the fiesta one with drinks and one without. My understanding was you could pretty much order whatever you want (frozen daiquiri's, margaritas, beer etc.) I believe the only exception would be premium brands. We had margarita's, daiquiries and beer. My husband got a shot of bailey's to go in his coffee - they are very accomodating. I would order with the drinks - a definite value.

As for Samba or Giovanni's - we liked Giovanni's the best. Samba was all meet and the food was good. It was way too much. Giovanni's has a couple of seafood dishes but also a lot more. I would look at the menu's online to see if there's something that spikes your interest. Giovanni's does appetizers and pasta family style. You can order a few and share. The main course is not done that way and is your own. They have exellent desserts too!

The Headliner shows rotate through out the fleet, so you may get the ABBA tribute when you sail. We sailed in October and had ABBA, then Moasic in February. Mosaic is acappella vocal group. They were awesome. They sing and make instrument sounds all with their voices. They are like that show The Sing Off on NBC. They are every talented. They sang a variety of songs from different generes so everyone will enjoy. I hope we get to see them again.

Was sad to hear about the ABBA tribute no longer as the Headliner show. Our family would have enjoyed that.

What is Mosaic?

Mosaic is a group of guys that sing acappella. They do all the instrumentals for the songs they sing. If you close your eyes you would think there is a band on stage with them.

The songs are great, their singing is excellent and the array of instruments they portray is something to be seen/heard.

I was in 12590. We were originally booked in 12595 (Central Park Balcony) but we were able to upgrade a few weeks before the cruise to an OV one instead. The roll call group did a cabin crawl and we were able to see Central Park balcony, Grand Suite, Owners Suite and Aqua Suite. The Aqua Suite is unbelievable!!!

We did the fiesta one with drinks and one without. My understanding was you could pretty much order whatever you want (frozen daiquiri's, margaritas, beer etc.) I believe the only exception would be premium brands. We had margarita's, daiquiries and beer. My husband got a shot of bailey's to go in his coffee - they are very accomodating. I would order with the drinks - a definite value.

As for Samba or Giovanni's - we liked Giovanni's the best. Samba was all meet and the food was good. It was way too much. Giovanni's has a couple of seafood dishes but also a lot more. I would look at the menu's online to see if there's something that spikes your interest. Giovanni's does appetizers and pasta family style. You can order a few and share. The main course is not done that way and is your own. They have exellent desserts too!

Thanks for the quick response, you were right around where we are, glad to hear it was a good location. I was leaning towards booking DD with the drinks for the fiesta but wanted to make sure she would be able to get something else first. Definitely is a better price value.

Have heard great reviews on Giovanni's so that may be the way to go. Need to make a decision, one of the last to make. :D

Hilton Rose Hall was an all inclusive relaxing day booked through jamaicaforaday dot com.

It includes the use of the beach, chairs, towels, pool, lazy river, slide, drinks, and food. It was $75 pp for the resort and an additional $15 if you wanted to include transportation. Otherwise you could do your own transport. If you can get a group of 16 together on your roll call and set up a group for your trip you can get 5% off as a rebate.

It's a beautiful resort. As soon as I get a chance to download my pics from the camera I will put one up.

Yes - we did have issues with air conditioning. You have to lock the door to keep the air conditioning running. We were starboard side and had a lot of morning sun through the door. If you left the door open for any short period of time or even closed but not locked the room got very warm. We were fortunate to have some nice evening breezes so we could leave the door open and the room wouldn't get too toasty. The last night we slept with the door open as it was very windy and the room was cool from the breeze.

I was on the same cruise and we really had a great time. The ship is beautiful! The only problem we had was the people who work at Guest Services were very rude, and really didn't have very much knowledge of anything, but I didn't let that ruin my week. I also did Rita's Fiesta, but at the end they said they were changing it to Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville, in about a year or so, did they mention that when you went? We were there on Thursday and we had a blast! Mosiac was unbelievable! That had to be the best show of the week, they were so good. I do have to say the entertainment was great and we were never bored, there was always something to do. When Sunday came I didn't want to go home, but all good things have to come to an end. Glad you had a good time and you enjoyed your cruise :)

Just returned Sunday, as well. I was one of those pre-cruisers who criticized the flawed ship, because of the need for reservations. Boy, was I wrong. What a great ship and great week.

We also went to Hilton Rose Hall through Jamaica For a Day. This is the second year in a row going there and we love the place.

Archived