Euros

SSLaly

Hello - this is the first time in Europe and I wanted to find out if it will be best to take the Euros with you, or just do the exchange at the airport?...please let me know - thank you!

Hello - this is the first time in Europe and I wanted to find out if it will be best to take the Euros with you, or just do the exchange at the airport?...please let me know - thank you!

The best thing to do is to use an ATM with your debit card once you arrive. You get better rates. If you want them before you arrive do an internet search for the best rates. Do not get them at the airport! The rates are very poor.

Don't use the exchange booths at the airport unless you don't mind paying ridiculous fees. ATM cards are your best bet, call your bank before you leave and let them know where you will be. We like to have 100 euros or so with us when we land so we don't have to worry about getting to our first location but there are ATMs at the airport that you can use as soon as you arrive.

I tend to buy a hundred or two from my bank before I leave and then reload at ATMs as well. Once caveat, check what fees your bank has for international withdrawals and what networks they support just so you are aware. And of course, notify them you are traveling so as to avoid fraud locks.

I live in a smaller town and no banks carry foreign currency. For our first trip to Europe, we got starter Euros from our local AAA office. They sell standardized packets. The euro value is always the same (and they give a mixture of bills.) The price they sell it to you at depends on the exchange rate.

Since our first trip, we always bring several hundred euros home with us and a lot of 1 and 2 euro coins as preparation for the next trip.

I got some Euros here at a bank, and will be taking my ATM card in case I need more cash...but I am planning on utilizing my credit card ... since it doesn't have any international fees.

Thank you all for your replies!

I got some Euros here at a bank, and will be taking my ATM card in case I need more cash...but I am planning on utilizing my credit card ... since it doesn't have any international fees.

Thank you all for your replies!

You wrote "credit card" as in one credit card. I'd encourage you to have a credit card from more than one bank with you. Europe has increasingly gone over to the chip and PIN method of encoding a credit card. In contrast, US credit cards are magnetic strip cards. As more than one poster has mentioned this is creating a growing problem for US travelers. Unattended charge machines (e.g. parking garages or train station kiosks) will not accept a US credit card. Some merchants are simply nervous about accepting US credit cards and won't.

I know Cruisemom spent a lot of time investigating this problem with no positive outcome. Last night, my husband did the same. He spent hours on the phone with banks that are considering a chip and PIN option or once had chip and PIN pilot programs.

Bottom line: We couldn't find a single bank offering a chip and PIN credit card at this time.

For safety, wou don't have to keep all your credit cards in your wallet. Keep all but one in a neck pouch or similar security carrier. But don't go to Europe expecting a single credit and/or ATM card to work in every situation.

Bottom line: We couldn't find a single bank offering a chip and PIN credit card at this time.

Wow, this is unbelievable. Virtually all Canadian credit cards are chip and pin - even Amex has gone there! I assume you checked with TD? (who are all over the states) Just thinking they might be more progressive as they are affiliated with a Canadian bank.

When we were in Europe in 2010, we had no issues using non chip cards with merchants (back then Amex wasn't chip) but did have more than one card so we didn't run into issues....

Archived