Alaska Cruise 2013

teacher_md

Hey Everyone!

I had planned to do an Alaska tour a few years ago but things got in the way (wedding, finances, etc.) I even bought the book Alaska by Cruise Ship that was recommended on these board. Now it looks like I will be able to finally take that Alaska cruise next summer! I have a few questions for some of the Alaska veterans to kick me off again in my researching:

- I really want to do a cruise tour in Alaska. Are there certain companies that are better than others? I remember reading that Princess and Holland America are good for Alaska for some reason or other. I am a pretty seasoned traveler, so I would possibly even be willing to rent a car and do the cruise touring on my own? It would probably be with 6 total people. Is doing Alaska on your own recommended for a first timer? Or should I stick with the preprogrammed cruise tour?

- I would like to depart from Vancouver and then do a northbound cruise ending in Alaska. Can someone tell me the benefits/drawbacks of where you dock in Alaska? On the cruise tour I know that my family wants to do this domed train ride.

- I am thinking that I'd like to cruise through the inside passage and see Glacier Bay. Some cruises do both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. Would you recommend seeing both?

- I want to go whale watching! Recommendations on where is best?

Anyway, these are just some questions to get me started back on my research. My Alaska by Cruise seems to be a little dated looking. Hope the info is mostly current. Thank you for all of your advice!

- AJ

You are coming to the right place - I am sure that Budget Queen will also chime in - she is perhaps the most traveled person on this board.

I see where you have cruised on many different lines - do you have a preference? In 2013 NCL will also enter the one way cruise out of Vancouver with the return of the Sun to Alaska waters. It will be doing Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier on its northbound trips - NCL is also offering land tours as well - I have not really seen the details of it.

The majority of the people on this board will reccommend that you do the land tour on your own. The main reasons are that you will be able to do what you want to do when you want to do it and for less cost.

You can book travel on the AKRR by yourself - the Gold Class service is in the all dome cars - they also offer complete tours in addition to simply providing transportation. I also understand that the trip from Anchorage to Whittier is very scenic if done on the railroad.

Grey Line also offers tours - these are the same that are offered on HAL cruise tours.

I would suggest that you look at http://www.travelalaska.com/ and order the tour book they offer.

Also don't be afraid to split up your group - esp if there are a wide set of interests - there are so many things to do that everyone shoud be able to find something they like.

- I really want to do a cruise tour in Alaska. Are there certain companies that are better than others? I remember reading that Princess and Holland America are good for Alaska for some reason or other. I am a pretty seasoned traveler, so I would possibly even be willing to rent a car and do the cruise touring on my own? It would probably be with 6 total people. Is doing Alaska on your own recommended for a first timer? Or should I stick with the preprogrammed cruise tour?

I would also recommend land tour on your own. It is not hard to do, and there's not many road which you can get lost on. It will definitely save you a ton of $$$, which you will need for other activities.

- I would like to depart from Vancouver and then do a northbound cruise ending in Alaska. Can someone tell me the benefits/drawbacks of where you dock in Alaska? On the cruise tour I know that my family wants to do this domed train ride.

personally I would recommend renting a minivan / 2 cars for the interior of Alaska tour, just because of the cost savings + the maximum flexibility it gives you when it comes to where to go and when to get there. You can also do the train as cruise transfer to either Whittier or Seward on the last day.

- I am thinking that I'd like to cruise through the inside passage and see Glacier Bay. Some cruises do both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. Would you recommend seeing both?

is there a reason you must do northbound out of Vancouver? if not, may I suggest Princess southbound out of Whittier, so you can see both Hubbard & Glacier Bay?

Vast majority of people will recommend whale watching tour out of Juneau, either Major Marine or Harv & Marv.

Vast majority of people will recommend whale watching tour out of Juneau, either Major Marine or Harv & Marv.

Whale watching is even better out of Icy Strait Point, and Major Marine is in Seward, not Juneau - Orca is among the other much-talked-about Juneau independents.

You will have to determine, how you wish to tour mainland Alaska. This board does have a lot of accurate information for independent trip planning. The problems with cruisetours, pop up repeatively- if you go with that choice, do your homework. People just do not understand what they are booking, if they don't. Then they come to this board- hurray, I'm going to Alaska, post what they purchased- on a public board, then get mad, when particular details are pointed out they didn't realize. :) OH well- maybe they will benefit someone. :)

So, some points to detail to your group- time is your friend in Alaska. Go for as long as you can afford. The major highlight of visitors is Denali Park. Probabaly the most included area on visits. Seward is the other, which requires some effort with Whittier ships.

I would suggest with your northbound preference, look at NCL, which includes Hubbard and Glacier Bay, southbound Princess offers this. With Whittier, I also highly recommend a Prince William Sound boat tour.

The only train travel I recommend, is Anchorage/Seward. The negative of not having your own transportation Anchorage/Fairbanks, is significant. I also recommend an additional day, if train travel is used on this portion.

Find out about areas, and determine where is the most interest. Be realistic. Distances are vast and avoid marathon drives/transits. Know the details of Denali park- and find out your preferences if you wish to visit. It's a long drive if you shortchange this, that could be put to better use in another area perhaps.

Hey Everyone!

- AJ

I had planned to do an Alaska tour a few years ago but things got in the way (wedding, finances, etc.) I even bought the book Alaska by Cruise Ship that was recommended on these board. Now it looks like I will be able to finally take that Alaska cruise next summer! I have a few questions for some of the Alaska veterans to kick me off again in my researching:

Anyway, these are just some questions to get me started back on my research. My Alaska by Cruise seems to be a little dated looking. Hope the info is mostly current. Thank you for all of your advice!

teacher MD- small world- i am from Maryland also. I have done a formal cruisetour two years ago and having done it i have planned another one (this time I am doing it picking up a rental minivan and overnight in Fairbanks (i am traveling with my daughter and son-in-law, and my two grandsons).Next morning at 9am doing the Riverboat discovery tour , then going up to the "North Pole" in Fairbanks to see the Santa claus town and the postoffice which will stamp your mail with the North Pole stamp. then going to the University of Alaska large animal research that has the Muskox, Reindeer etc. I understand it is a very good tour. Then we are leaving to drive the 2.5 hours down to Denali. (2 night stay in Denali) That first night we are going to the Cabin nite dinner theater for their wonderful salmon/chicken meal and show about the gold rush days. Early to bed then up and at 5am we are going to do the 7-8 hour Denali Tundra Wilderness Tour to see all of the wildlife. That will be finished around 12 or 1. Shopping in Denali and then early to bed. Get up in the am and travel down and stop in Talkeetna (Northern Exposure was made about this town if you remember that sitcom). Then we will continue down to Anchorage. Turning the car in and staying at a hotel 1/2 mile from the Alaska railroad. Next morning at 5:45 head to the Railroad. All of the luggage will go directly to the RCCL cruise ship if you tell the Railroad people- they mark it and make sure that it gets there. Train leaves at 6:00 and arrives in Seward at 11:30 in time to board our ship. I hope this helps. It is really easy to do. If you contact me I can give you specifics about hotels, car rentals, etc.

Hey Everyone!

- AJ

teacher MD- small world- i am from Maryland also. I have done a formal cruisetour two years ago and having done it i have planned another one (this time I am doing it picking up a rental minivan and overnight in Fairbanks (i am traveling with my daughter and son-in-law, and my two grandsons).Next morning at 9am doing the Riverboat discovery tour , then going up to the "North Pole" in Fairbanks to see the Santa claus town and the postoffice which will stamp your mail with the North Pole stamp. then going to the University of Alaska large animal research that has the Muskox, Reindeer etc. I understand it is a very good tour. Then we are leaving to drive the 2.5 hours down to Denali. (2 night stay in Denali) That first night we are going to the Cabin nite dinner theater for their wonderful salmon/chicken meal and show about the gold rush days. Early to bed then up and at 5am we are going to do the 7-8 hour Denali Tundra Wilderness Tour to see all of the wildlife. That will be finished around 12 or 1. Shopping in Denali and then early to bed. Get up in the am and travel down and stop in Talkeetna (Northern Exposure was made about this town if you remember that sitcom). Then we will continue down to Anchorage. Turning the car in and staying at a hotel 1/2 mile from the Alaska railroad. Next morning at 5:45 head to the Railroad. All of the luggage will go directly to the RCCL cruise ship if you tell the Railroad people- they mark it and make sure that it gets there. Train leaves at 6:00 and arrives in Seward at 11:30 in time to board our ship. I hope this helps. It is really easy to do. If you contact me I can give you specifics about hotels, car rentals, etc.

Hey Everyone!

- AJ

also- i wound definitely recommend a southbound. Do the land portion first and then the cruise otherwise you will be too exhausted! Also so much to see if you can fly into Fairbanks, rent a vehicle and then travel down ending in Anchorage and then boarding the Alaska Railroad for the gorgeous trip into Seward!

teacher MD- small world- i am from Maryland also. I have done a formal cruisetour two years ago and having done it i have planned another one (this time I am doing it picking up a rental minivan and overnight in Fairbanks (i am traveling with my daughter and son-in-law, and my two grandsons).Next morning at 9am doing the Riverboat discovery tour , then going up to the "North Pole" in Fairbanks to see the Santa claus town and the postoffice which will stamp your mail with the North Pole stamp. then going to the University of Alaska large animal research that has the Muskox, Reindeer etc. I understand it is a very good tour. Then we are leaving to drive the 2.5 hours down to Denali. (2 night stay in Denali) That first night we are going to the Cabin nite dinner theater for their wonderful salmon/chicken meal and show about the gold rush days. Early to bed then up and at 5am we are going to do the 7-8 hour Denali Tundra Wilderness Tour to see all of the wildlife. That will be finished around 12 or 1. Shopping in Denali and then early to bed. Get up in the am and travel down and stop in Talkeetna (Northern Exposure was made about this town if you remember that sitcom). Then we will continue down to Anchorage. Turningthe car in and staying at a hotel 1/2 mile from the Alaska railroad. Next morning at 5:45 head to the Railroad. All of the luggage will go directly to the RCCL cruise ship if you tell the Railroad people- they mark it and make sure that it gets there. Train leaves at 6:00 and arrives in Seward at 11:30 in time to board our ship. I hope this helps. It is really easy to do. If you contact me I can give you specifics about hotels, car rentals, etc.

You may want to consider just taking the Denali Park shuttle bus to Eielson. Depending on the ages of the kids, they may be free. At the least the cost is 1/3 the tour bus, and gets you further, and to the very nice Eielson Visitor Center- indoor seating for eating, flush toilets, nice exhibits. :)

Hey Everyone!

Well stated advice from BQ.

I would always recommend DIY. Much cheaper and provides total flexibility; you go where you want to go and when. The train schedule is very limited.

For DIY itineraries take a look at the Alaska forum of tripadvisor. Under the Top Questions you'll find a link to the 2011 Trip Reports. They are an excellent resource as the trips and destinations are quite varied; from 7-14 day road trips by car/RV, to 3 days before/after a cruise, to complex trips via ferry and small planes to visit multiple destinations. They are also a good resource for activities, excursions, and hotels.

Another good resource is alaska.org

http://alaska.org/driving/magnificent-drives.htm

Watch this site dilgently throughout the summer. Someone will post the special pricing for next summer's car rentals. For the past several years you could reserve an economy car for $100 a week. The deal only lasts a week so you must be diligent. I snagged a minivan for $200 a week.

You may want to consider just taking the Denali Park shuttle bus to Eielson. Depending on the ages of the kids, they may be free. At the least the cost is 1/3 the tour bus, and gets you further, and to the very nice Eielson Visitor Center- indoor seating for eating, flush toilets, nice exhibits. :)

Budget Queen- thanks so much for the info- the kids are 6 and 19 months at the time of the cruise. If we just take the shuttle bus though- i know it will save money but do we get the same info as we would on the tour bus? I think a lot of that information is very interesting and my oldest grandson might enjoy that. Although Eielson would be much further into the park- the TWT is already 6-8 hours and that may be very long enough for a 19 month old and a 6 year old! LOL

Well stated advice from BQ.

I would always recommend DIY. Much cheaper and provides total flexibility; you go where you want to go and when. The train schedule is very limited.

For DIY itineraries take a look at the Alaska forum of tripadvisor. Under the Top Questions you'll find a link to the 2011 Trip Reports. They are an excellent resource as the trips and destinations are quite varied; from 7-14 day road trips by car/RV, to 3 days before/after a cruise, to complex trips via ferry and small planes to visit multiple destinations. They are also a good resource for activities, excursions, and hotels.

Another good resource is alaska.org

http://alaska.org/driving/magnificent-drives.htm

Watch this site dilgently throughout the summer. Someone will post the special pricing for next summer's car rentals. For the past several years you could reserve an economy car for $100 a week. The deal only lasts a week so you must be diligent. I snagged a minivan for $200 a week.

mapleleaves- watch which site- the alaska.org/driving/magnificent etc. site? where would they actually post it. I only see driving direction links etc. Is there a special place where info like that would be posted? I am going to DIY driving next August 2013 with my family and would love to hear about that great car rental deal. One way from Fairbanks to Anchorage.

Budget Queen- thanks so much for the info- the kids are 6 and 19 months at the time of the cruise. If we just take the shuttle bus though- i know it will save money but do we get the same info as we would on the tour bus? I think a lot of that information is very interesting and my oldest grandson might enjoy that. Although Eielson would be much further into the park- the TWT is already 6-8 hours and that may be very long enough for a 19 month old and a 6 year old! LOL

Frankly- a 19 month old, is really not appropriate on these extended trips at Denali. The tour buses run full, and silence is mandated at wildlife close by. It's mostly scenery. and no matter how "well traveled" you think your kids may be, likely they are not going to be happy in bus seats for 1 1/2 hours between the rest stops. I think you are underestimating what this "tour" is? With the tour buses, you stay with the bus- or you get off and return to the access center on a shuttle bus. You can not get on another tour bus.

I think having more flexability would be beneficial? And you wuold be more receptive to getting off a bus and letting cooped up kids run off steam. This IS all wilderness, be sure people are open to this?

Frankly- a 19 month old, is really not appropriate on these extended trips at Denali. The tour buses run full, and silence is mandated at wildlife close by. It's mostly scenery. and no matter how "well traveled" you think your kids may be, likely they are not going to be happy in bus seats for 1 1/2 hours between the rest stops. I think you are underestimating what this "tour" is? With the tour buses, you stay with the bus- or you get off and return to the access center on a shuttle bus. You can not get on another tour bus.

I think having more flexability would be beneficial? And you wuold be more receptive to getting off a bus and letting cooped up kids run off steam. This IS all wilderness, be sure people are open to this?

Budget Queen- yes you are correct- i think the shuttle bus is the way to go with the 19 month old so that we can hop on and off as needed. We would not want to spoil someone elses time in Denali certainly and cannot expect a 19 month old to be perfect. although certainly snacks, bribes, etc. help ;) Thanks again for the advice.

mapleleaves- watch which site- the alaska.org/driving/magnificent etc. site? where would they actually post it. I only see driving direction links etc. Is there a special place where info like that would be posted? I am going to DIY driving next August 2013 with my family and would love to hear about that great car rental deal. One way from Fairbanks to Anchorage.

I meant THIS site! Right here on the Alaska forum of cruisecritic! Someone will be watching the various rental sites and will post any specials. Or you can monitor the sites yourself. For the past several years Enterprise has run a great special. I don't know if those rates would apply to a one-way rental or to 3-4 day rental. All you can do is watch for the specials and see what they offer. Prices fluctuate daily so it's something you should monitor up until the day you leave.

I reserved a minivan from Enterprise in Aug'11 for 15 days in June' 13; $215 per week and $45 for the extra day.

Thank you for all of the advice!

I am reconsidering the northbound voyage. I have heard that doing the cruise after the touring is the more relaxing option. The Diamond, Sapphire and Coral Princess ships do both Hubbard and Glacier on the southbound route.

I am going to try to research DIY and rent a minivan.

So I guess that means I book a flight into Alaska (what city do you fly into?). Then rent a car, do the land tour on our own after TONS of research, do the Prince William Sound boat tour in Whittier, get on the cruise ship, cruise to Vancouver, spend a couple days and then go home. How does this sound as a starting point?

My friend who wants to come on the cruise is dying to do the train with the glass ceiling. I don't think I'll be able to convince him out of it, so I will probably have to work this in.

Thanks for all the help! - aj

You will fly into Anchorage. Rent a car there and do your own DIY - up to Denali? down to Seward? Whatever floats your boat. Then return the rental car in Anchorage, and take the train down to Seward or Whittier to board your cruise. This way, your friend gets the train ride they've expressed interest in (and the train ride south from Anchorage is supposed to be spectacular!), and you get the DIY portion of the trip that I feel is so much more preferable to a cruisetour. Good luck in your planning!

So it could go something like this:

- Fly to Anchorage, Alaska.

- Rent a car and DIY up to Denali. (Could I do this in 4 days?)

- Return car in Anchorage and take the train down to Whittier.

- Prince William Sound Boat Tour

- Board cruise.

Does this sound feasible?

Thanks, AJ

- Board cruise.

Thanks, AJ

4 days Anchorage to Denali and back? easy:

Day 1: drive to Denali NP (6 hours or so)

Day 2: Denali NP bus tour

Day 3: Drive to Talkeetna, do a Denali flight tour w/ glacier landing. There's also sled dog kenels.

Day 4: Drive to Anchorage (2-3 hours)

Very doable! I think we've got a winner! 4 days to Denali is just enough, as Rayliang pointed out. You could even get two days (or one full day and maybe a morning trip) into the park on the shuttle bus if you ditch the Talkeetna portion (unless you have plans for flightseeing?). Good start though - by George, I think he's got it;)!

Thank you for all of the advice!

I am reconsidering the northbound voyage. I have heard that doing the cruise after the touring is the more relaxing option. The Diamond, Sapphire and Coral Princess ships do both Hubbard and Glacier on the southbound route.

I am going to try to research DIY and rent a minivan.

So I guess that means I book a flight into Alaska (what city do you fly into?). Then rent a car, do the land tour on our own after TONS of research, do the Prince William Sound boat tour in Whittier, get on the cruise ship, cruise to Vancouver, spend a couple days and then go home. How does this sound as a starting point?

My friend who wants to come on the cruise is dying to do the train with the glass ceiling. I don't think I'll be able to convince him out of it, so I will probably have to work this in.

Thanks for all the help! - aj

Do not rule out NCL if you want to go NB since they are now offering an itinerary with both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. I am with Budget Queen who always says she does not find the cruise more relaxing than the land tour. Depends a lot on how you travel and cruise. We did the land tour on our own and frankly, found that far more relaxing than the cruise. On the cruise we were always up early for either port activities or deck viewing. It was long days of sightseeing. We were exhausted. When we did the land after, we planned our days carefully and found our land tour quite relaxing compared to our cruise. However, after reading this forum I have concluded that Budget Queen and myself are in the minority.

I think I would find a minivan too tight for 6 people and their luggage. We had 5 adults in Vancouver for just two days in a minivan and the luggage had to be just right to get all of us to fit. You will be having one more person. I would think you will want a minivan and car or two cars. Start looking for your car rentals about 11 months out. Enterprise has been offering great deals the last few years if you book well in advance.

Also, you say you have one person in your group who really wants to do the domed train. How about you split up for a day? They can take the train from Anchorage to Denali while the rest of the group goes in the car. The train does run almost parallel to the road you will be taking to Denali, but if this is their priority, they should have the opportunity. In my opinion it is important for groups to split up so everyone gets the experience they want. On the cruise I went on with 5 people, we all did the same thing in only one port. Everyone had different activities that were a priority to them. We made sure everyone got to experience Alaska in the way they wanted to. Worked out well for us.

Although I have been on 2 HAL Alaska cruises, including a NB, I no longer promote their one-ways. They used to have two glacier viewing days on their NB and SB itineraries (Glacier Bay and College Fjords). Now they have only one glacier viewing day. This is truly a watered down itinerary, and I am disappointed I can no longer recommed HAL for the one-ways. I still recommend their round trip out of Vancouver that goes to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. Princess definitely has the better scenic itinerary in their SB cruises that go to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

For car rentals you need to understand that Avis is the only car rental agency in Whittier. Those one way car rentals are very costly. I suggest you compare costs for a round trip car rental, taking a train/coach to Whittier with the cost of two separate car rentals. Price out booking one rental up to the evening before you head to Whittier. Then turn in your vehicle(s) and pick up one day rentals with Avis. Taking the train to Whittier from Anchorage could possible satisfy your travelmate's desire to take a train ride. However, I do not see Gold Star Service listed for Anchorage to Whittier. Adventure Class does have the opportunity to share some domed cars, which is what we did in 2008. Here is a description of Adventure Class:

Adventure Class Service on the Alaska Railroad is a traditional seat next to a large picture window. You can grab time in two shared-seating domed cars The Alaska Railroad trains a select group of Alaska high school students as tour guides (on both Adventure Class Service and GoldStar Service), and they provide a lively commentary throughout the ride.

Good luck with your planning.

- Board cruise.

Thanks, AJ

Yes, very doable.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the advice, everyone!

I have another question about pricing on Alaska cruises. When looking at cruises for June/July 2012 the prices are really low and reasonable. Then if I look at cruises for 2013 they seem high (or normal for Alaska - since I am used to booking Caribbean).

Would it make sense to wait and book a last minute deal? Or would the price for last minute airfare and (un)availability of rental cars/stuff for the cruise tour really mitigate the savings? Let me know your thoughts on this. Also, I know that Alaska cruise tours tend to involve a LOT of planning and pulling it off last minute would probably be tough.

Thanks! -aj

I was wanting to book my cruise for this June last fall so I could get the location that I wanted. I wanted the itinerary that the southbound Princess ships giving going to Hubbard glacier and Glacier Bay, however, the prices were higher than Celebrity with an itinerary I wasn't as fond of. I didn't want to go to Icy Strait Point again, but because there was such a considerable price difference I went with Celebrity. Then about 2 months ago (I think about then. I would have to read back on the boards to be sure), Princess had a big drop in prices and everyone booked on Princess got price drops. Wish I had known that was going to happen then I would be sailing southbound on Princess this year with the itinerary I wanted.

Will that happen again this next year? Who knows? I am just telling you that it happened this year. You could put a deposit down (fully refundable as long as it is before final payment) and see if the prices go down before you make final payment. Just an idea.............

Archived