sweet sixteen: motion?

NorthCarolinaBelle

Hi all, Some good friends are joining us next year on Summit. They have never cruised before. We would like to try the Sweet Sixteen balconies, but I'm worried about my friend, who gets motion sickness very easily. We have only stayed aft or midship, and have no experience with the bow of the ship. Does anybody think we should avoid this area?:o Thanks for your help.

I'm prone to motion sickness myself and so I tend to choose midship cabins if possible because I have noticed that when using public rooms like the theatre or the lounges on the upper decks the motion felt worse for me than when being right at the back of the ship. For me it was noticeably more, my husband for example didn't feel a thing ( but he is never (!!) sea-sick - I'm soo envious!)

It's just a personal opinion ,though. For a first cruise your friends might be better off to choose a cabin midships on deck 6 perhaps whereas you choose one of the sweet sixteens?

Hi all, Some good friends are joining us next year on Summit. They have never cruised before. We would like to try the Sweet Sixteen balconies, but I'm worried about my friend, who gets motion sickness very easily. We have only stayed aft or midship, and have no experience with the bow of the ship. Does anybody think we should avoid this area?:o Thanks for your help.

Personally if prone to sea sickness I wouldn't pick one of the Sweet Sixteens and would try for one more midship. Nice to have a larger balcony, but miserable if you are feeling unwell when you are in the cabin.

Phil

I am sure others are going to disagree with me on this but based on MY experience...

Location has little to no impact on how you're going to react to the ship's motion. People will always tell you if you feel sick don't go high, don't go low, don't go forward or aft, etc. If the ship is moving, it's moving. If you are going to be sick, there is little you can do location wise that is going to help.

I am sure others are going to disagree with me on this but based on MY experience...

Location has little to no impact on how you're going to react to the ship's motion. People will always tell you if you feel sick don't go high, don't go low, don't go forward or aft, etc. If the ship is moving, it's moving. If you are going to be sick, there is little you can do location wise that is going to help.

On a smaller ship, I agree with you. On some of the larger ships I've been on, being up high adds a little noticable velocity to any rolling action, and being far forward adds to any pitch. Think of a teeter-totter/see-saw, the further you are away from the fulcrum the more feet per second you'll experience.

I disagree. When the sea is rough I have to minimize dining and show times if they are located at the ends of the ship. Also being on the upper decks feels different.

We always get at least a porthole in the middle lower part of a ship.

On last weeks cruise out of Miami on Eclipse the first night was very rough. :(Talk with several people that were in the Sweet 16 and just miserable. I felt it mid/aft on 11 and used sea bands to sleep.

Archived