One of our hobbies on a ship is....

susie8862

If someone comes out in some crazy outfit and are looking for attention and I take a picture, I don't find that creepy. "A picture is worth a thousand words" and some things just can't be accurately described to friends when you see them later. If you are just sitting on deck reading your book, sunning, talking with your spouse, etc., you are safe from my camera. If you come out on deck in 100 degree weather in a purple p i mp suit and a big hat (true story), I will take a picture.

I vote for weird, but I'd bet that's the reaction you're looking for.

The other day, someone posted a photo of a tabasco loving couple in the dining room. It made me really uncomfortable that people were so .... careless (that is not quite the word I'm looking for, but close) of others that they'd take a photo, then post it on a public board.

My dh and I are both amateur photographers and between us we take about 2,000 photos per week on a cruise. Zero of them are of people that we want to remember to laugh at later.

I though that photo was a little strange too.

They seemed like two very nice people, nicely dressed, not bothering a soul, but their only crime against humanity was putting Tobasco sauce on all their food.

"Look here is a picture of them putting Tabasco sauce on their food "

At least these people were enjoying their cruise enjoying their meal , not spending it taking pictures of everyone else dining habits

I have to agree with the majority here - it doesn't sound like a nice thing to do. I kinda like "characters" and I can understand how they might make a trip more memorable and enjoyable. If I come across a character, I might engage them in some sort of funny chat and I'll ask them to take a picture with me - I haven't been turned down yet. Characters are cool like that.

Actually, I have two pictures from my last cruise where a character who decided to jump into my picture out of nowhere. I can still hear the sound of his wife's voice yelling .. Ronald!!! She was so embarrassed - LOL. It was harmless fun where we all enjoy each other rather than make fun of each other. Well - at least, that's my take on it.

Let me get this straight:

• Instead of enjoying your own activities, you sit by yourself with a drink and take pictures of total strangers.
  • You then take the pictures home, print them out and then scrapbook the photos.
  • Occasionally you will review these photos and get enjoyment by laughing at the photos.

Yes, I think this is a bit weird.

um, that is their activities. it's an activity they enjoy.

There's a whole lot of self-righteous indignation going on in this thread by a lot of people.

There's a whole lot of self-righteous indignation going on in this thread by a lot of people.

People watching is okay.

Making fun of people is not. It shouldn't be any ones activity, because it's not freaking funny. It's rude, and disgusting.

I would say doing so in itself is self-righteous. That they are so awesome, they have free reign to sit around and make fun of the people around them.

We love to people watch sitting on the lido deck...cocktails in hand of course..;)

Over the years, we have accumulated many, many pictures of ...well, let's just say "characters"

Every once in a while, we will pull out the photo albums, go down memory lane and have a great laugh.

Anyone else do this....or are we weird:confused:

i definitely people watch. so much that I dont bring books anymore. but I dont take pictures of anyone else

When their activity is between the two of them and affects nobody else, than it is nobody else's business.

Taking pictures of others without permission in order to laugh at them in the future is wrong on so many levels.

Strange how they publish this on a public board to justify their behavior.

I have photos with other people in them. Most of the time they're incidental to the scene I'm trying to capture. I've never taken a photo with the idea of making fun of the person later. Although I confess to having laughed at the People of Walmart.

We love to people watch sitting on the lido deck...cocktails in hand of course..;)

Over the years, we have accumulated many, many pictures of ...well, let's just say "characters"

Every once in a while, we will pull out the photo albums, go down memory lane and have a great laugh.

you're not crazy.

since we have started cruising, i always filmed people that were either characters, or people that reminded me of other people.

and every year, on the cruise anniversary, we would watch that days snippet.

that sort of disappeared over the years, but i started doing it a couple of weeks ago again, and we are getting some kicks of seeing these "old friends" once again.

I hope you don't have children. What a terrible example this would set.

My goodness. Did not realize that so many people would attack like this. Did not realize that if we took a pic of an older gentleman in a speedo, but could only see he had one on from the backside.....or of the woman that was taking a shower on the lido deck (yes, with soap and water) out in the open for everyone to see.

Listen...I am not mean spirited and this is not a malicious act, but if we see some very strange and unusual thing, yes, we take a picture. If we put in our photo albums and get a chuckle from it...who are we hurting?

Seems to me that a good many of the people that responded are not very nice and I would bet my bottom dollar that most of you have a pic of someone strange, unusual, out of the ordinary in your photo album.

We are people watchers. I wouldn't say that we "make fun of them" but I'd describe it more of enjoying people for who they are, rather than getting annoyed with them.

People are people and the fact that there are such huge variations in personalities and levels of boldness just makes life richer in my opinion. We have our favorite cruisers from over the years, but I don't think we have any photos of any of them.

We people watch too. ;) Just one quick thing to think about though--My daughter does a little modeling and public relations type work. She is still a teenager so either my husband or I go with her to keep an eye on everything she does. At many public events, people will ask to have their pictures taken with her. She is always happy to oblige, and she will stop and pose as long as they want to snap photos. She was the ribbon girl at a rodeo one time, and the rodeo clown came up and announced he was having his picture taken with the "rodeo queen." ha ha She posed for several pictures, but when he walked off, she laughed that he really was a rodeo clown because he smelled like a steer, but she enjoys posing for them.

Having said that, we have had some men try to snap her picture from a distance without asking. In today's world, that really gives me the creeps. In my mind, if they have good intentions, they will just come up and ask. (I know that some of the nice people who ask might not be so nice in real life, but I try not to think about that. lol ) When grown men snap pictures of her without asking, my husband has been known to step out of the shadows (We try to be like the Secret Service. We are there without being there. ha ha) and ask him what he is doing--especially if it is an old guy. That really does feel creepy. So, my advice is even though you are just having some silly laughs, snapping that picture might get you confronted sometime. I laugh at peopleofwalmart too. I say if you walk out like that, you are asking for attention, but I wouldn't be brave enough to take someone's picture without asking. Just something to think about.

Another thing to think about...

I am in the school system. We have issues with bullying and kids making fun of others. Recently a teen committed suicide in our school. He was relentlessly made fun of.

Where do these kids learn to make fun of others? Where do they learn their values?

Another thing to think about...

I am in the school system. We have issues with bullying and kids making fun of others. Recently a teen committed suicide in our school. He was relentlessly made fun of.

Where do these kids learn to make fun of others? Where do they learn their values?

Exactly. Kids aren't known for their critical thinking skills. They see Mom and Dad making fun of people- even when the people are oblivious - or see Grandma and Grandpa doing it. They think its okay. and to a kid - "Well, they do it, so I can do it to this kid where he can hear me!" because again- kids don't have the ability to think about these things the way adults do. Critical thinking skills involve the frontal lobe of the brain, the last area of cranial development.

Just think - when you were 30ish, how many things did you look back on in your teen years or early 20's and wonder W T F WAS I THINKING?

If the person in the photo does not know it was taken and never hears the comments why is it so rude? From what it sounds like to me the OP looks at the pics in the privacy of their own home and reminisces of good times while viewing their cruise pics. I don't think the OP is a stalker or sociopath...

Y'all need to lighten up or at least go on cruise so others can take pics of you and speak of you privately in our own homes... :p Which we already do about CC posters anyways! :D:D

If the person in the photo does not know it was taken and never hears the comments why is it so rude? From what it sounds like to me the OP looks at the pics in the privacy of their own home and reminisces of good times while viewing their cruise pics. I don't think the OP is a stalker or sociopath...

Y'all need to lighten up or at least go on cruise so others can take pics of you and speak of you privately in our own homes... :p Which we already do about CC posters anyways! :D:D

What exactly is wrong about.. just not making fun of people? Mean and rude people are a lot of what is wrong with the world today. Enjoying making fun of people, even when they don't know, is mean, and not funny.

People who do things that are mean, even when others don't know about it, are likely affecting others without realizing it in other ways. IME someone who does mean things usually does not limit it to one single activity.

Also, this isnt about a bunch of posters being BIG MEAN SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIORS ROAR!!!

She asked. We answered. Rule of thumb is that if 2 or 3 people think something is funny, and 100 do not, you should probably look at it from the 100 peoples angle for a minute.

My goodness. Did not realize that so many people would attack like this. Did not realize that if we took a pic of an older gentleman in a speedo, but could only see he had one on from the backside.....or of the woman that was taking a shower on the lido deck (yes, with soap and water) out in the open for everyone to see.

Listen...I am not mean spirited and this is not a malicious act, but if we see some very strange and unusual thing, yes, we take a picture. If we put in our photo albums and get a chuckle from it...who are we hurting?

Seems to me that a good many of the people that responded are not very nice and I would bet my bottom dollar that most of you have a pic of someone strange, unusual, out of the ordinary in your photo album.

I'm sure some will still say this isn't ok, but it sounds a lot less odd than what I pictured from your original post. I think a lot of folks snap a pic of speedo guy, etc.. :p

I'm sure some will still say this isn't ok, but it sounds a lot less odd than what I pictured from your original post. I think a lot of folks snap a pic of speedo guy, etc.. :p

I will agree with this a little. I still think its rude but a far cry from what the initial post indicated. You can't get upset with people for "attacking" when you're making it look like you enjoy taking pictures of people purely to make fun of them.

It's okay. I'm weird too. While on the beach in Cozumel, I snapped a photo of an older guy standing on the beach in a black speedo with white crew socks and black dress shoes on. Sorry. I couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

Never done that. But the past couple cruises we've been having fun with the ships photographer. We travel alot, we have a million photos, we have no interest-and never have, bought any photos onboard.

After years of 'no thanks, no thanks, no thanks' The last couple cruises we've said 'sure' and then made buffoonish expressions for the photo. We then go and find the pics in the photo area during the cruise and laugh at our terrible pictures:) Still never buy any!;)

Archived