Need advice...

scarletine

Help! I have a sleeveless sheath dress in a style similar to this, in an ivory silk printed with brightly colored fans, and accented with beads, that I was planning on wearing for one of our formal nights.

However, I'm a bit self concious about my arms, and was wanting to find a cute little sweater to wear over it. I was looking at a couple, but can't decide on which might look better.

I found this one which is a little more cropped, and this one which is a little more "ladylike", and like the blue colors on both. But then I was also thinking about this one in the ivory, which would look a little more like it actually went with the dress, and with the organza trim is a little fancier.

I'm confused, and undecided. :confused: Anyone willing to put in their two cents?

I'd go with the ivory one from Chadwick's, especially since you want to wear it for formal night. The style I was thinking of looks more like the Victoria's Secret cropped one, but more dressy. I can't remember where I've seen one like that, though. You could also consider a shawl for something more formal.

I like the second one, myself. I think the ribbing on the first one makes it more casual. The second, if the blue matches well with the colors in your dress might keep it more festive than trying to stay neutral, and I guess I'm just not much of a neutral sort of gal when it comes to formal nights. I like color.

I initially thought "shrug" which is similar to the first sweater you linked to, but not sure if those are on their way out. Maybe someone with their finger on the pulse of fashion will post their opinion.

The shrug and the cardigans are too casual for a formal dress. You need to find a fabric that is lighter and similar to the weight of the silk your dress is made out of and steer away from the knits. Let me see what I can find.

How about something along the lines of a caplet?

26_2.JPG

I think the knit fabric of the shrug and the two cardigans are too heavy for the silk dress. If it is formal, try to find similar fabric or even something dressier.

Hi,

Here's my 2 cents. I agree with blueheron that the sweater idea is a bit to casual. I would look for a wrap in silk in one of the colors from the dress. A solid color, silk wrap or shawl would definitely dress it up.

good luck

A:D

Help! I have a sleeveless sheath dress in a style similar to this, in an ivory silk printed with brightly colored fans, and accented with beads, that I was planning on wearing for one of our formal nights.

However, I'm a bit self concious about my arms, and was wanting to find a cute little sweater to wear over it. I was looking at a couple, but can't decide on which might look better.

I found this one which is a little more cropped, and this one which is a little more "ladylike", and like the blue colors on both. But then I was also thinking about this one in the ivory, which would look a little more like it actually went with the dress, and with the organza trim is a little fancier.

I'm confused, and undecided. :confused: Anyone willing to put in their two cents?

I like the last one the best, but all are cute.:)

Hmm...maybe I sould try to find a little silk jacket to wear with it, if the sweaters are too casual. I find shawls and wraps annoying, and I tend to spend more time fiddling and readjusting them. I was wanting something I could put on and go. Back to the 'net I go!

Scarletine, A good decision, While I thought the second two sweaters were cute, the looked more appropriate for jeans or cropped pants. I would look into a wrap, a little more dressy to me and you could probably pair it with another dress, too. I've never gotten cold enough in the dining room to require a wrap and usually end up taking a jacket off. I attribute that to being 51:eek: .

I have to say that I love your sheath dress. I have several and I think the line is so classic and flattering, you will be able to wear this dress years from now.

Hmm...maybe I sould try to find a little silk jacket to wear with it, if the sweaters are too casual. I find shawls and wraps annoying, and I tend to spend more time fiddling and readjusting them. I was wanting something I could put on and go. Back to the 'net I go!

Can I just ask you what you don't like about your arms? You know, we are much harder on ourselves than others would ever even notice....there are parts of my body I don't like either, but I have to deal with it proactively.;) I just don't want you to think that you should have to wear anything just to cover something you don't like up. :)

That one is really pretty! But you know how hard it is to match off-whites. Almost as bad as matching blacks. :) I think I'm just going to have to get off my behind, and get me to the mall. I hope I can find something in either a turquoise or a spring green color, so that I can sort of match my shoes.

Just where is Jane when we need her here?

Scarletine, I think you might want to be careful matching a jacket to this dress, it could come off looking like a business suit, instead of the formal look you want. Not seeing the dress, it can be hard to tell, I'm just going on the description and photo in your first post.

I love the look of a sheer wrap, but I think I already wrote that!

Can I just ask you what you don't like about your arms? You know, we are much harder on ourselves than others would ever even notice....there are parts of my body I don't like either, but I have to deal with it proactively.;) I just don't want you to think that you should have to wear anything just to cover something you don't like up. :)

I never really answered this. I have muscular arms (Being in the Marines, I did A LOT of pushups!) but I've gained weight in the years since I've been out, and have kind of that "bat wing" effect going, and a few stretchmarks. Honestly, I don't know why I'm fussing over this dress so much, when the other one I bought is a one shoulder gown, that will be showing the arms to full effect. I guess it's more the way this dress is cut, in that the sleevelessness (is that a word?) cuts off right at the part of the arm where it's least flattering.

Maybe I should just get some Mederma, that I saw mentioned in another thread, and try using that to de-emphasize the marks, and tighten the skin a bit. That would be a lot easier to find, also.

*Sigh* I know. But honestly, I don't think she likes me very much for some reason. She never answers or comments on any of my posts. :(

The jacket is too informal for a formal dress.

How about this idea, why not go to your local fabric store, buy a couple yards of gossamer or other sheer fabric, buy some trim or sequins, and make your own coverup? Simple and quick thing to do.

I'm in the process of making sarongs for all the girls going on our trip and it couldn't be more simple. Basically, all you need to do is sew an edge.

Scarletine,

Get thee to the mall! I know it's a pain in the tush but if you take the dress with you you will find something that is right so much quicker! Even if you just go to Nordstrom Rack or TJ Maxx you probably will find something nice. If you can deal with the prices at Nordstrom you can just sit down, show them the dress and THEY will do the work for you. Sometimes you just got to love the big N.

Good Luck

Scarletine,

Get thee to the mall! I know it's a pain in the tush but if you take the dress with you you will find something that is right so much quicker! Even if you just go to Nordstrom Rack or TJ Maxx you probably will find something nice. If you can deal with the prices at Nordstrom you can just sit down, show them the dress and THEY will do the work for you. Sometimes you just got to love the big N.

Good Luck

I wish I had a Nordstrom's nearby...I'd probably do just that! (I wonder if Dillards would be as accomodating!) I do have to keep price in consideration though. You know, the husband and all. :rolleyes:

I always freak out right before a cruise, and start buying all kinds of new stuff. Went to Kohl's yesterday, and stocked up on casual tops and sandals. Thank goodness I had a giftcard to pay for part of it, so all it cost me was $30.00. :D Since the last cruise I've lost about 20 lbs, so none of my shorts or capris fit either, and I don't have time to get them altered, so I'll have to go to the mall anyway to replace those.

And this year we're going on a back to back cruise, so I'm even more freaky about making sure I have enough stuff. I plan to get things laundered, it's the formal nights I'm more worried about.

I never really answered this. I have muscular arms (Being in the Marines, I did A LOT of pushups!) but I've gained weight in the years since I've been out, and have kind of that "bat wing" effect going, and a few stretchmarks. Honestly, I don't know why I'm fussing over this dress so much, when the other one I bought is a one shoulder gown, that will be showing the arms to full effect. I guess it's more the way this dress is cut, in that the sleevelessness (is that a word?) cuts off right at the part of the arm where it's least flattering.

Maybe I should just get some Mederma, that I saw mentioned in another thread, and try using that to de-emphasize the marks, and tighten the skin a bit. That would be a lot easier to find, also.

*Sigh* I know. But honestly, I don't think she likes me very much for some reason. She never answers or comments on any of my posts. :(

Bat wing, LOL....I have big arms too, half from working out, and half from being in a wheelchair for 6 months!!!:rolleyes: So while they are ......bulky, I have been working on them since March. I just bought some 2 & 5lb weights, from Target, and do several different exercises with them daily, and I can see a lot of improvement already. Starting to get the cuts back in them.

I gained a lot of weight, well, for me anyway, when I was in the chair, and the only thing that did get worked out, was my arms, but apparently, not enough.:) I have a thick build anyway, thick trunk, big shoulders, etc, and I am only 5'4", so I really have to watch it.

Wow....sorry to get off on a tangent...when do you cruise? If you have time, and want, I can share with you the exercises I do, and what seems to be working quickly for me.

I wish I had a Nordstrom's nearby...I'd probably do just that! (I wonder if Dillards would be as accomodating!) I do have to keep price in consideration though. You know, the husband and all. :rolleyes:

I always freak out right before a cruise, and start buying all kinds of new stuff. Went to Kohl's yesterday, and stocked up on casual tops and sandals. Thank goodness I had a giftcard to pay for part of it, so all it cost me was $30.00. :D Since the last cruise I've lost about 20 lbs, so none of my shorts or capris fit either, and I don't have time to get them altered, so I'll have to go to the mall anyway to replace those.

And this year we're going on a back to back cruise, so I'm even more freaky about making sure I have enough stuff. I plan to get things laundered, it's the formal nights I'm more worried about.

I have a Nordstroms....but they have different items online, than they do in the store....want me to go see if they have it?

The jacket is too informal for a formal dress.

How about this idea, why not go to your local fabric store, buy a couple yards of gossamer or other sheer fabric, buy some trim or sequins, and make your own coverup? Simple and quick thing to do.

I'm in the process of making sarongs for all the girls going on our trip and it couldn't be more simple. Basically, all you need to do is sew an edge.

Hey, how bout' you make it for her??:D

Scarletine, I think you might want to be careful matching a jacket to this dress, it could come off looking like a business suit, instead of the formal look you want. Not seeing the dress, it can be hard to tell, I'm just going on the description and photo in your first post.

I love the look of a sheer wrap, but I think I already wrote that!

Awww, gee, thanks Kathy........

I've been away in the Hamptons, but back now. :)

I agree with you I think the sheer wrap.....or a sheer anything, the the way to go to keep the arms covered, but still look dressy.

I've seen some sheer jackets out there, or blouses that could double as jackets over the dress. If it's kept in the same ivory tone, they'll look like they were made for each other.

Scarlatine, if you don't want a sheer jacket, then perhaps a damask jacket in an ivory-in-ivory tone?

Perhaps there's a bridal store near you that might have an ivory beaded or an ivoery lace jacket to wear over the dress? One that is nipped in at the waist and then perhaps even a little peplum, would make the outfit very dressy.

The cardigans were too casual, but of the three, I thought the last one - in ivory - was the best choice.

Whatever top you buy, whether it's a cardigan or jacket, sheer or opaque, I think it's imperative to keep it the same ivory color. A contrast color will make it more casual looking, while the same ivory color will make it more elegant. However, like Kathy said, if it's too tailored, it'll make the dress look like a business outfit. The jacket has to be dressier than the dress.

Jane

Archived