Need advice...

scarletine

Well, I went shopping yesterday, and couldn't find ANYTHING I liked, so I settled for a cute shrug. But after getting it home, I didn't like it with the dress, so I'm taking it back. (But when you figure I was at the mall with my DH, who hurried me through everything, it's no surprise.) :(

I did at least find some nice shorts and capris to wear, though. :)

So I'm going to go back up today, sans the hubby, and will check out the special occasion areas, and see what I can find. I like the idea of a sheer or lace jacket. I seem to remember seeing some at Dillards a couple of months ago when I bought my other dress, so I'll have to see if they still have them. Thanks Jane! *sigh* All this fuss for a dress I'm going to wear maybe two nights. :rolleyes: I must be nuts. :D

1corona4u, I can (sort of) sympathize. When I broke my leg, I was on crutches for 10 weeks, and my arms got quite a workout, both from those, and from having to haul myself up four flights of stairs two or more times a day, since my barracks didn't have an elevator. :eek:

I've only got a couple of weeks left, but yes, I'd love to know what exercises you're doing! I have a Bow Flex here at home, and I've been working the arms out with that. The tone is pretty good, but it could always be better.

I really appreciate the help from you all! You're the best!

Katie,

If you can, bring the dress with you, might make it easier. Also, perhaps there's a knowledgeable salesperson who can assist? Sometimes there's that "one perfect item" that she saw yesterday and will now look through through every rack to help find.

By all means, leave DH at home. They make fine company for casual shopping but when you're on a mission, I find it's often easier to shop alone or bring a good friend with great taste and a lot of patience! :)

Good luck w/ the shopping.

Jane

*Sigh* I know. But honestly, I don't think she likes me very much for some reason. She never answers or comments on any of my posts. :(

Katie/Scarletine,

I *just* saw this comment. Me, not like you???? Gee, I'm sorry I gave you that impression. It's not true at all!!!!

I can't really say why I haven't answered any of your posts other than to say that there are some threads I simply stay out of....and it's about the subject matter, not about the person who posted them. To be honest, I can't really think of any of the threads you've started or your specific posts so I can't comment accurately, but if I have no opinion or suggestions about something, I simply don't post. Or if I think my opinion might hurt someone's feelings I also wouldn't comment. I don't like to comment on anyone's personal taste.

For example, I let people know that I hate capri and cropped pants - that's a general comment. However, if someone posted a photo of their new outfit and it was cropped pants, I'd never say I didn't like it. That would be uncalled for and serve no purpose.

So I can't think of any reason why I didn't comment on your posts, but I can assure you that's it's not personal and I have no bad feelings about you!

However, I hope I've given you some idea's for your dress on this thread.

Yer pal,

Jane :)

Well, I went shopping yesterday, and couldn't find ANYTHING I liked, so I settled for a cute shrug. But after getting it home, I didn't like it with the dress, so I'm taking it back. (But when you figure I was at the mall with my DH, who hurried me through everything, it's no surprise.)

I did at least find some nice shorts and capris to wear, though.

So I'm going to go back up today, sans the hubby, and will check out the special occasion areas, and see what I can find. I like the idea of a sheer or lace jacket. I seem to remember seeing some at Dillards a couple of months ago when I bought my other dress, so I'll have to see if they still have them. Thanks Jane! *sigh* All this fuss for a dress I'm going to wear maybe two nights. I must be nuts.

1corona4u, I can (sort of) sympathize. When I broke my leg, I was on crutches for 10 weeks, and my arms got quite a workout, both from those, and from having to haul myself up four flights of stairs two or more times a day, since my barracks didn't have an elevator.

I've only got a couple of weeks left, but yes, I'd love to know what exercises you're doing! I have a Bow Flex here at home, and I've been working the arms out with that. The tone is pretty good, but it could always be better.

I really appreciate the help from you all! You're the best!

What seems to be working for me, for the bat wings, lOL, is, stand with your feet about hip distance apart, bend over, LOL, flat back, keep your arms tight to your sides, make a fist, and swing your arms back above your back...like you are goin to backhand the ceiling.... and bein them back to ewhere you started.....make sense? Sorta like a reverse bicep curl. You can do this with weights, if you are able. Do those about 3 sets of 12-15 each.

Next, if you have free weights, stand with your feet close together, and take 2 weights, hold your arms straight up in the air, over your head, bend your elbows back, keep your arms close to your head,(biceps should be close to your ears) and drop the weights behind your head and bring them back up. I do this in 3 sets of about 20 each. This has really made a difference in the wibble wobbles in the underside of my arms. I use 5lb. weights for this one.

I also do pull-ups with my abdominizer....like a chin up, just using my arms. But if you have a bowflex, then you can do all of these things on it too.

I just like free weights....more mobile, and I am always on the move.:) I walk around the house doing curls. :rolleyes:

Hope this all made sense.:rolleyes:

1corona4u,

Both the exercises you described are classic ones to tighten up the triceps. If Scarletine, or anyone, can't do them from your description, they can look them up in any good exercise book. They are both excellent.

Jane

I have arm insecurity too, and all my dresses are sleeveless (go figure!). I recently bought several very nice silk shawls/scarves off of eBay (seller ID was beninn), direct from Hong Kong - they are gorgeous and were quite inexpensive considering they're silk, etc. I highly recommend checking it out!

since your dress has a pattern, it will be difficult to match up and the accessory has to be kept simple. have you looked at the long scarves that are glittery in many different styles that could be used to wrap around the neck and the ends left to fall over the shoulder. this would dress up the dress yet keeping it simple. i know a shawl or cape can be a pain keeping it wrapped around the shoulder but with these scarves, you can let it be.

Thanks for all your advice! I combed the mall on Saturday, but still couldn't find anything really nice. Well, I found a beautiful organza jacket/evening blouse at Dillard's, but I wasn't about to spend $200.00 for it. :eek:

In the end, I bought a sweater. (Sorry!) And while not exactly as dressy as I was hoping to find, it's very simple, which makes it look rather elegant. It's a fine gauge knit which gives it some sheerness, it matches the background color of the dress perfectly, and is a luxurious silk/cashmere blend (It's my first cashmere sweater, but after trying it on, it won't be my last!). :D When I put it on with the dress, it just looked so...perfect and unfussy.

But I might end up not wearing this outfit on a formal night (I have a "backup" dress I might bring instead). Or if I do, I'll make it the second one, as with the cruise I'm on, the second formal night is the same day we're in Grand Cayman, and a lot of folks tend to dress not quite as fancy as they do the first one. :)

And thanks for the exercise tips! Turns out I have been doing similar exercises, I guess I just haven't been doing them enough! I'll have to hit the weights a little more the next couple of weeks. Drat!

Again, I really appreciate all the tips! We leave in just under two weeks, and I can't wait!

Thanks for all your advice! I combed the mall on Saturday, but still couldn't find anything really nice. Well, I found a beautiful organza jacket/evening blouse at Dillard's, but I wasn't about to spend $200.00 for it. :eek:

In the end, I bought a sweater. (Sorry!) And while not exactly as dressy as I was hoping to find, it's very simple, which makes it look rather elegant. It's a fine gauge knit which gives it some sheerness, it matches the background color of the dress perfectly, and is a luxurious silk/cashmere blend (It's my first cashmere sweater, but after trying it on, it won't be my last!). :D When I put it on with the dress, it just looked so...perfect and unfussy.

But I might end up not wearing this outfit on a formal night (I have a "backup" dress I might bring instead). Or if I do, I'll make it the second one, as with the cruise I'm on, the second formal night is the same day we're in Grand Cayman, and a lot of folks tend to dress not quite as fancy as they do the first one. :)

And thanks for the exercise tips! Turns out I have been doing similar exercises, I guess I just haven't been doing them enough! I'll have to hit the weights a little more the next couple of weeks. Drat!

Again, I really appreciate all the tips! We leave in just under two weeks, and I can't wait!

Cool! Hope it works out for you. Have a great cruise!!!:D

Scarletine, My final thought on this is that you may not even need the jacket/shawl/sweater. I'm never too cold in the dining room, I usually take off any jacket I have along and hang it on the back of the chair.

Archived