Docking in Los Angeles

ballfamily

We will be on the Star next March, Santiago to Los Angeles. Does the ship actually dock in LA or in San Pedro (or elsewhere)? Main thing I'm trying to sort out is which airport is closest to the port the ship docks -- is it LAX or maybe Ontario? Thanks in advance for the help!

We will be on the Star next March, Santiago to Los Angeles. Does the ship actually dock in LA or in San Pedro (or elsewhere)? Main thing I'm trying to sort out is which airport is closest to the port the ship docks -- is it LAX or maybe Ontario? Thanks in advance for the help!

In all likelihood, you'll be docking in San Pedro (which is in the city of Los Angeles). LAX would be closer than Ontario, but John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana would be even closer...

The Port of Los Angeles is in San Pedro and where you dock. LAX is definitely the closest airport. Onatario may be less expensive but is way farther away. SNA (Orange County) may have some deals too but is not closer than LAX.

It's about 20 miles to LAX. To SNA is about 35 miles. Ontario is about 60 miles away.

It will be San Pedro, Long Beach airport and LAX are closest.

It will be San Pedro, Long Beach airport and LAX are closest.

That is true, Long Beach is even closer but a very small airport and not many carriers. If you can find a flight to LGB that works, that is a great choice.

As someone mentioned, Long Beach is the closest (LGB). I see you are from Olympia, WA. Being a fellow washontonian we have frequently used LGB for ships departing from San Pedro. Alaska and Jet Blue have direct flights from Seatac that are often less than the other airports. LGB has the lowest port taxes of all the LA World Airports.

LAX is the nearest (major) airport regardless of your port. Ontario is not anywhere near the coast and although possibly cheaper, it's not worth the commute.

Ontario is a great airport to go in and out of, but it is not often less expensive than LAX:D

If flying to SeaTac then try for Long Beach. Yes it's small, which means very little time going through security etc.. In fact, it has the feel of flying in 1960. Last time I flew to SeaTac we walked outside and up a staircase into the plane. That was 4 years ago though.

You'll be docking in San Pedro. LAX is the closest airport (20 miles away from the port) which, depending on traffic can be either a 30 minute ride or over an hour ride. John Wayne (in Orange County) or Long Beach would be the next closest but would cost more to fly out of. Ontario Airport (my personal favorite, it's awesome) is way too far away.

FYI - the Port of Los Angeles IS the San Pedro location for most cruiseships. Carnival also leaves from Port of Long Beach. Los Angeles is along the coast and definitely closer than Ontario which is about an HOUR inland from the port. Long Beach Airport is really the closest, however, not too many airlines or flights from that airport. There is also Orange County Airport (SNA), but that too is farther from the port than Los Angeles International (LAX). Hope that helps.

You should consider LAX, Long Beach, and Santa Ana--basing it on the cost to get home include the cost to get to the departing airport.

LAX, due to the number of flights, has the cheapest transfers and generally the cheapest flights--but you may find something else that suits your schedule and budget better. Unless you can find a really great deal out of Ontario, I would highly discourage you from flying from there due to the distance and the cost to get there.

The Port of Los Angeles is in San Pedro and where you dock. LAX is definitely the closest airport. Onatario may be less expensive but is way farther away. SNA (Orange County) may have some deals too but is not closer than LAX.

It's about 20 miles to LAX. To SNA is about 35 miles. Ontario is about 60 miles away.

You do know that the port of Los Angeles is actually in Los Angeles. San Pedro is not a city, but a area within LA city.

You do know that the port of Los Angeles is actually in Los Angeles. San Pedro is not a city, but a area within LA city.

Yes, but don't tell that to the people who live there. ;) You are of course technically correct, but the mail is addressed to San Pedro, CA, not Los Angeles, CA...so most people consider it a city, although it is in Los Angeles. It definitely has its own little vibe. :)

LAX is the nearest (major) airport regardless of your port. Ontario is not anywhere near the coast and although possibly cheaper, it's not worth the commute.

You'll be docking in San Pedro. LAX is the closest airport (20 miles away from the port) which, depending on traffic can be either a 30 minute ride or over an hour ride. John Wayne (in Orange County) or Long Beach would be the next closest but would cost more to fly out of. Ontario Airport (my personal favorite, it's awesome) is way too far away.

Just to clarify which airport is closest to the Port of LA Cruise Terminal, here are the distance per Google maps: LAX - 21.0 miles; LGB - 15.2 miles.

Yes, but don't tell that to the people who live there. ;) You are of course technically correct, but the mail is addressed to San Pedro, CA, not Los Angeles, CA...so most people consider it a city, although it is in Los Angeles. It definitely has its own little vibe. :)

Up until 1909, San Pedro & Wilmington were independent cites until annexed to LA including a narrow strip of land to geographically join the Port of LA with the main part of LA. San Pedro, just like Venice which was an independent city until it was annexed by LA in 1925, each definitely have their own little vibe. ;)

Just like I wouldn't say I live in Los Angeles, even though technically most of the SFV is part of the COLA (our failed secession attempt was about ten years ago -- San Pedro tried to secede the same year, but wasn't allowed to be on the ballot because of the City's financial dependence on the harbor).

Princess sails out of the World Cruise Center, which is located in the community of San Pedro in the City of Los Angeles.

The only airports to consider if flying out the day you return are LAX, Long Beach (if you can find a flight), John Wayne in OC. Do not consider Ontario (as stated, too far away) or Burbank (about 40 or so miles away from the port).

Also, if leaving from LAX, do not book a flight prior to 1pm (after noon, may be okay, but can still be crazy with traffic).

I think your airport question is answered, but I wanted to let you know that the roll call for this trip is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1399010 This thread has the back to back trip, but those of us on the leg from Santiago to Los Angeles are posting here as well. Please join us!

Julie

Ontario

Ontario is near the foothills in the LA basin. Long Beach if you can fly Jet blue is the best, otherwis LAX is the best.

Main thing I'm trying to sort out is which airport is closest to the port the ship docks -- is it LAX or maybe Ontario? Thanks in advance for the help!
Ontario
Just to clarify which airport is closest to the Port of LA Cruise Terminal, here are the distance per Google maps: LAX - 21.0 miles; LGB - 15.2 miles.

According to Google Maps it's not even close...ONT is nearly 3 times as far as LAX from the San Pedro cruise ship terminal: LAX - 21.0 miles; ONT - 57.2 miles

Archived