Do we have to do both Muster Drills on a B2B?

We're very excited to be going on our first B2B in less than two weeks, but I've read conflicting info about the muster drills.

Do we have to do both of them?? I can't find it now, but I remember reading somewhere on CC, right after we booked it almost a year ago, that you can show your sea pass card on the second cruise, and you don't have to go through the muster again. Does anyone know for sure? :confused: I'd love to skip the second one if we can.

Thanks in advance! :D

Same cabin for leg two? Maybe would be OK since muster station would not change. Probably good to check onboard with guest services to make sure the list they are going to check eveyrone off of indicates continuation of B2B in same cabin. But rules may have changed post Costa Concordia.

As a crew member who had to go to every boat drill, I honestly can't understand guests who don't take safety seriously. Especially these days.

Even if you technically don't have to, you should still go and make sure you're well-educated on what to do in case of an emergency.

I don't know how many times I had guests tell me "I was in the Navy back in WW2, why do I have to go to boat drill?"

Same reason as the crew does...because we take safety seriously. Go to boat drill.

Just so you all know, you don't actually have to go to boat drill. They just send an information package to your cabin if you don't. But, if you don't...you are taking a big risk.

I honestly can't understand guests who don't take safety seriously.

I take safety seriously, mirafllores. In no way did I say I wanted to skip the first drill or dismiss the importance of safety.

When we're on a two week cruise, we only have to attend one drill... and I was hoping to be able to attend just the one this time.... since we're in the same cabin, with the same muster location.

This thread was posted to get an answer to a legitimate question, which I've read conflicting info on in the last year. No need for a lecture. :(

I can see whey this is a legitimate question... in the past B2B passengers did not need to attend the second drill on Princess. I do not know if this policy is still in effect after the Costa Concordia disaster.

I would think you would have to go.

The crew in charge of your area are supposed to check off that all their passengers made it and are in the correct area. How can they do that if people opt out of going?

I would prefer they make everoyone attend or when it came to a real crisis they could go OH WELL almost everyone on my list made it here so we are good to go. ;)

I believe you have to go.

Everything else is closed down and it takes, what? about 15 minutes. In addition to wanting to be as safe as possible, I, personally, simply cannot see it being worth the hassle to try to get out of it.

I can understand doing it on the first part of the cruise but if you are not changing cabins than the muster station will not change. I have been on a 13 night and a 14 night cruise and I have only done the Muster Drill once. What is the difference on a B2B? Safety is important, I understand that, but what is the need to do it twice? Yes, if you WORK on the ship, of course you are going to do it each time.

Why can’t people be nice on these threads? This is supposed to be a community that helps each other…not lash out. Why can’t someone come on here and ask a question without someone unhappy person saying something negative????

I don't really think there is any added safety in making a B2B passenger repeat the drill. As pointed out earlier by rcprncss you don't have a second muster drill on a 14 night cruise. I'm sure it is just easier for the crew to have everybody attend and you don't have to have a list of 3 people in cabin xxxx are excused etc.

I can understand doing it on the first part of the cruise but if you are not changing cabins than the muster station will not change. I have been on a 13 night and a 14 night cruise and I have only done the Muster Drill once. What is the difference on a B2B? Safety is important, I understand that, but what is the need to do it twice? Yes, if you WORK on the ship, of course you are going to do it each time.

Why can’t people be nice on these threads? This is supposed to be a community that helps each other…not lash out. Why can’t someone come on here and ask a question without someone unhappy person saying something negative????

a 10, 12, 14 night cruise is, in most cases, ONE cruise...a B2B is two individual cruises....

so you would only go to one on a single LONG cruise but 2 on two separate cruises....

I am not sure i understand why people get so upset about 15 minutes out of a vacation....it isn't such a hard thing to do....I have been on Explorer 11 times...i know that ship pretty well....and I am usually in the same cabin/cabins so I've been to the same muster station a number of times...does that mean i don't have to go??? No.

I don't much care if others go or not, but if people don't go, then don't ask me what to do in am emergency.....(that is not meant to sound mean...if it does, sorry)

as for being nice, helpful and not negative? i've been asking myself that question for probably 8 of the 10 years I've been here...

This is my opinion, take it or leave it, but I think that if people actually learned something about saving yourself and your family if an emergency were to happen during muster/safety drills then people wouldn't try to skip them. But I can say that with the exception of learning where my muster station is (which could easily be found on my own) I have never heard anything important about saving my life in the event of a ship emergency.

Muster drills these days go like this:

1. Get to your station

2. Stand in line while you get checked in

3. Stand in line waiting on the drill to start.

4 Stand in line and watch the crew member put on a life vest (seriously, where have you lived, in a cave or something, that you can't figure that out on your own?)

5. Stand in line until you hear them announce what an emergency signal sounds like.

6. Stand in line until the Captain releases you.

All in all it's a pain in the butt with little to no safety information being delivered.

There is no way that 30 minutes is going to prepare people for an emergency or help people keep calm and cool if an emergency happens.

I would rather be required to watch a short training video in the showroom where actual life saving suggestions and helpful information were given. A 20 minute video could visually and audibly SHOW people what to do, where to go, how to board a life boat, how the inflatable boats work, what to do once on the life boat, how children in Adventure Ocean are taken to life boats, how to know your kids are OK, how to get someone in a wheelchair into a life boat, etc.

I DO NOT feel prepared for an emergency after the muster drill.

Don't get me wrong, I go to the drills, even on B2Bs, I'm so excited at being on a cruise that it's not a big deal to participate...but I don't confuse the muster drill with being prepared for an emergency.

Gosh, I wasn’t trying to get out of anything that we are expected to do. And I'm not a bad person who needs to be reprimanded for asking a legit question.

What prompted me to ask in the first place is a thread that I read about a year ago…. right here on CC. Someone posted that if you were in the same cabin on a b2b, you simply let the cabin steward know you would stay in your cabin for the second drill. At particular time, the poster explained that those who manned the stations had a list of what cabins were on the ship for a consecutive week, and knew who could be excused.

If that routine has changed, that is fine. If that member who posted was incorrect, I have no way of knowing. I just wanted to know what the current procedures were so we could follow them.

People, let’s play nice in the Cruise Critic sandbox! This board has a lot of wonderful and extremely helpful information. Don’t ruin it for people who appreciate having a place to come for answers, by being negative towards them when they ask something.

I would rather be required to watch a short training video in the showroom where actual life saving suggestions and helpful information were given. A 20 minute video could visually and audibly SHOW people what to do, where to go, how to board a life boat, how the inflatable boats work, what to do once on the life boat, how children in Adventure Ocean are taken to life boats, how to know your kids are OK, how to get someone in a wheelchair into a life boat, etc.

Great post. I hope RCI are monitoring the boards and somebody reads this and realizes how sensible and educational it would be.

Archived