Whittier without cruise ships?

TwoSue

We're going to be in Alaska for a week before our cruise. One thing we'd like to do is go to Whittier (we sail out of Seward) and go on a glacier cruise. Is there a way of checking to see which days cruise ships are in port there and which days would be empty? I'm thinking I'd rather go on a day when it's not so crowded!

We're leaving Whittier on a Wednesday. I guess I would avoid weekends and Wednesdays for a non-cruise visit to Whittier. However the other posts that have scheduling websites probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

We're going to be in Alaska for a week before our cruise. One thing we'd like to do is go to Whittier (we sail out of Seward) and go on a glacier cruise. Is there a way of checking to see which days cruise ships are in port there and which days would be empty? I'm thinking I'd rather go on a day when it's not so crowded!

Go to '26 Glaciers' on the 'net.

john

If you're going to be in Seward take a cruise from there not Whittier. The scenery is better and the cruises longer. More to see in Seward.

That was my original plan, but I had trouble making it work. I really don't want to drive to Seward in the rental RV, then back to Anchorage (and of course to Denali and other places), and then have to pay to shuttle to Seward again. So I thought we would skip Seward (except the last day when we have to shuttle there to catch our cruise) and do a glacier cruise out of Whittier instead since it's closer.

If you're going to be in Seward take a cruise from there not Whittier. The scenery is better and the cruises longer. More to see in Seward.

I have been on both, and loved them both. I thought the scenery was better from Whittier, but the wildlife was better on the Kenai Fjords tour. My DH absolutely loved the Whittier boat tour better than the Seward tour (we did the 9 hour) . Seward definitely has more to do in the area. Whittier is pretty much the boat tour.

That was my original plan, but I had trouble making it work. I really don't want to drive to Seward in the rental RV, then back to Anchorage (and of course to Denali and other places), and then have to pay to shuttle to Seward again. So I thought we would skip Seward (except the last day when we have to shuttle there to catch our cruise) and do a glacier cruise out of Whittier instead since it's closer.

If you take the early morning train to Seward on the day of your cruise, you could take in a Kenai Fjords tour before boarding, or go to the Sealife Center and/or Exit Glacier. I know some people prefer boarding the ship early, but if you really want to see as much as you can of Alaska, this would be a good option.

Your ideas are confusing. It is a simple matter of taking the Alaska RR To Seward for as many days as you want. You do NOT need a car in Seward. It is walkable, and plenty of shuttles/taxis and a car rental available. Why do you have a "shuttle" to Seward?? IF you were thinking of touring there? Cancel it and add your days, if you choose to take advantage of better use of time.

BudgetQueen... I've confused myself planning this whole thing!

We have an RV booked for the week before, and in order to get the best price, I needed to do it by the week. So we have the whole week in the RV, which has to be returned to Anchorage on Sunday, July 29, the day of our cruise. We will probably end up back in Anchorage to check it in Saturday evening, sleep in it, then take either the shuttle or the train to Seward in the morning. I don't want to waste money by cancelling or changing the RV reservation at this point. It made the most sense when I did it. I thought by adding the Glacier cruise in Whittier and a hike on the Matanuska Glacier, I would cover the things we would have been most likely to do in Seward (Kenai Fjords and Exit Glacier).

Our itinerary (loosely) would be to pick up the RV on Sunday, do groceries, etc. and head towards Girdwood and Portage. Hike in the Girdwood area, see Portage lake, and maybe hike to Byron (depending on how tired we are). Camp near there.

Day 2 - Whittier glacier cruise

Day 3 - Matanuska Ice Trek

day 4 - Head towards Denali (not sure yet what else)

Day 5 - Denali bus ride

Day 6 - More Denali (not sure yet what else)

Day 7 - return to Anchorage

Day 8 - travel to Seward, pick up cruise

If you have any suggestions (that don't involve cancelling the RV), I'd love to hear them! I'm traveling with my husband and two kids ages 11 and 14.

Just a few ideas of places to check out to camp in the Whittier area -

With your kids you will probably want to check out the Alaska Conservation Center and the Begich Boggs Visitor Center in Portage. The Conservation Center gives you great views of lots of different AK animals in large enclosures. The Begich Boggs Center is on Portage Lake, a nice visitors center with access to the lake area.

For over night check out:

http://www.portagevalleyrvpark.com/ Portage Valley RV Park

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do?subTabIndex=0&&contractCode=nrso&parkCode=wili Williwaw Campground

If you want to get thru the Whittier tunnel and spend the night in Whittier:

http://www.alaskawhittier.com/campground.php This way you can spend a leisurely morning in Whittier, and not have to try to find a parking spot for the day. It might be cheaper to pay for two days camping in Whittier and leave the RV, and walk down to town for the cruise.

Only the Portage Valley RV Park has hook-ups. The other are purely camping spots.

Archived