Quiestion about upgrades

Hello,

On the RCCL website under Upgrade preferences, they list "Automatic Upgrades" and "Upgrade with Restrictions". There's no choice of "No Upgrade". I left that section blank. No, we're not nuts. My husband who has had melanoma twice has to restrict sun exposure so we pick a cabin that has a lot of shade. We picked an aft cabin cause it's completely covered on our upcoming cruise.

Would they automatically upgrade us and take away our cabin? Do they always call and ask if you want it? If so, then I could ask if they had a cabin with a lot of shade, but if they do automatic upgrades without telling you, no good. What's you experience?

TIA, Phyl

Why not just call them and tell them to put "No upgrade" on your reservation? I find doing things on the phone with RCI to be much easier!!! And, in reality, the likelihood of getting an 'upgrade' is slim to none!

Yes, I probably will do that. I was just thinking of my daughter who just did an RCCL cruise with her DH and DS got a call with an upgrade from bottom of the boat inside to a large family OV. There are suites back there with completely covered balconies. Yeah, I still dream :-)

Thanks,

Phyl

You could select "Upgrade with Restrictions" then under restrictions select the "Must be Accessible" option. Aside from the infitismal chance of getting an upgrade due to rarety of those and they are usually fully booked they would have to call you to check eligibility. Only hitch is very late in the time frame after final payment when these (if there are any free) get released.

Also if sailing on a ship with no Boardwalk or Promenade select that as a restriction and it should prevent upgrade. They should all a check box for "Only if Royal Suite". ;)

You only have one chance to select 'No Upgrade' and that is when neither of the radio buttons are selected (both empty). If you ever touch one there is no way to unselect it.

You could select "Upgrade with Restrictions" then under restrictions select the "Must be Accessible" option. Aside from the infitismal chance of getting an upgrade due to rarety of those and they are usually fully booked they would have to call you to check eligibility. Only hitch is very late in the time frame after final payment when these (if there are any free) get released.

Also if sailing on a ship with no Boardwalk or Promenade select that as a restriction and it should prevent upgrade. They should all a check box for "Only if Royal Suite". ;)

You only have one chance to select 'No Upgrade' and that is when neither of the radio buttons are selected (both empty). If you ever touch one there is no way to unselect it.

This is correct, there's no way to turn the button off from the website once selected. However, you can call C&A and tell them you want an upgrade, but need a phone call to confirm, and this will turn off all the selections.

Why not just call them and tell them to put "No upgrade" on your reservation? I find doing things on the phone with RCI to be much easier!!! And, in reality, the likelihood of getting an 'upgrade' is slim to none!

Done, Thanks

Archived