Hotel booking in Seattle

ozetraveller

G'day cruisers.

A question, if you can help.

We're heading for Seattle to cruise on the Star from 22 May.We will arrive in Seattle (from Australia) on 20 May and will need a couple of nights accommodation. Years ago, when we arrived at LAX, we were able to book a hotel at a good price right there in the airport at a counter called Traveller's Help, or something like that. We hadn't booked ahead, because we had heard about that system.

Can anyone tell us if something similar operates at Sea-TAC, or has the internet put paid to that system? Just wondering whether to book ahead or take our chances at the airport.

Cheers!!

:)

G'day ozetraveler,

Once we stayed at the Edgewater hotel in Seattle. It's on the water, and next to the cruise terminal. Also walking distance to Seattle sights such as Pike Place market. Rooms had fireplaces, as well as a wilderness rustic them in the room and throughout the hotel. For us, it was perfect.

Book ahead.

You can start looking for a hotel here:http://www.seattlesupersaver.com/SCVBBooking/index.aspx These are pretty good prices. Not as good as you could get on Priceline or Hotwire, but you will know for sure which hotel you are buying.

Book ahead.

You can start looking for a hotel here:http://www.seattlesupersaver.com/SCVBBooking/index.aspx These are pretty good prices. Not as good as you could get on Priceline or Hotwire, but you will know for sure which hotel you are buying.

G'day, bruce-r,

Thanks for your advice. We have been to that site and are looking at DAY'S INN on 7th Avenue for $75. That looks like a pretty reasonable deal. Do you know anything about the area or hotel?

Cheers,

That price sounds like a bit much for a Days Inn...they are not great as a rule, although I am not familiar with that particular property. At that price you could easily get something a good bit nicer via Priceline or Hotwire...either the Downtown zones (3* properties seem to be going for about $50 to 55/night now, maybe $5 to 10 more through the busier summer season) or the Lake Union zone (a little farther out but 2.5* rooms are about $45/night, maybe a little more and those places usually offer a complimentary shuttle to the sites downtown) via Priceline.

For your dates on Hotwire the prices looked high, so you might want to start with Priceline.

We are sailing the Sapphire out of Seattle on May 22nd. Hotels are booking up FAST! For what reason, I don't know. Perhaps because of all the Alaska cruises. Hope you find a nice place to stay. Have a wonderful cruise.

G'day, all.

Well, thanks for your help with the hotel. We couldn't use either Hotwire or Priceline - seems like they don't like Aussies :( :eek:

We got on to Seattle Super Saver and decided to go a little upmarket - booked Travelodge by the space Needle for $99/nt. That will do - PLEASE don't tell me if I could have got it cheaper! :o

Right, now to book those excursions.....

Ozetraveller, there's no reason why you can't use Priceline. If you were put off by not being able to give an Australian address, dont be. I just used my normal home address, found a state code that was similar (in my case VA) and added an extra number to the postal code.

We got the Best Western Executive for $55 last year, and we still use Priceline (at home) to book hotels when we go and stay downtown in Melbourne, the price is cheaper booking through the U.S, in U.S dollars than picking up the phone and doing it direct....ridiculous.

....... If you were put off by not being able to give an Australian address, dont be.

....... we still use Priceline (at home) to book hotels when we go and stay downtown in Melbourne, the price is cheaper booking through the U.S, in U.S dollars than picking up the phone and doing it direct....ridiculous.

G'day mate.

Thanks for the info - I think!! :o

You're right, we were put off by Priceline not accepting our address - smart move. We'll check out that option ourselves in future.

And you're not wrong about booking an Aussie hotel via the States being ridiculous! Globalisation and the internet have created some wierd outcomes. We have booked a car in Seattle through an Irish website for about half of what it would have cost via Orbitz or another US site.

Cheers again,

We are staying at the Comfort Suites in downtown Seattle on Roy St. They have a shuttle service to the port for $4.50 pp. Also a free shuttle to the attractions in the downtown area. The rooms have mircrowave and a fridge. If your'e going to be there a few days this might be handy. I called their 800 # to book and I thought rates were very reasonable. $103 for Aug. pre-cruise and $89 for Sept. post cruise without tax. I called the hotel for transporation information and the staff is very friendly and helpful.

I would have reservations in place before arriving. It's a busy place!

G'day mate.

Thanks for the info - I think!! :o

You're right, we were put off by Priceline not accepting our address - smart move. We'll check out that option ourselves in future.

And you're not wrong about booking an Aussie hotel via the States being ridiculous! Globalisation and the internet have created some wierd outcomes. We have booked a car in Seattle through an Irish website for about half of what it would have cost via Orbitz or another US site.

Cheers again,

Priceline Hong Kong is Oz-friendly, and you can book for stays in the US through them. http://www.priceline.com.hk/eng/default.asp

When I try to use PL HK they move my Seattle Washington (abbreviated WA) address to some unknown suburb of Perth. ;)

FWIW, while you'll be fine at the Travelodge in Seattle, be advised the chain is rated somewhat lower in N. America than it is in Oz.

I booked at 3 star at seatac for return of our June19th cruise thru hotwire for $70. a night
That is all fine and good, but do you know which hotel you will be staying at? Some people just have to know.

You can get a good idea using one of the Priceline helper sites link http://www.biddingfortravel.com and http://www.betterbidding.com/

G'day, all.

A quick thank you to all who posted helpful hints here - they were all very much appreciated.

I ended up with travelodge, using seattlesaver, but am now also able to use Priceline (thanks, aussie jb). I have booked a 3* hotel in LA for $50, for our night before returning to Oz. Things are falling into place for this holiday! Thanks again.

well done other oze :) I must admit the first time I used Priceline, I was very hesitant in clicking on that final 'do it' screen, but now I wouldn't hesitate. I knew about the Hong Kong Priceline, but for some reason I am more comfortable with the U.S $ conversions.

I do spend a bit of time reading up at the Bidding for Travel site http://p070.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding so I'm aware of what I might get. I haven't been disappointed yet.

We got into Hilton Garden in Renton (2 1/2 stars, AAA is 3 stars) May 28 (near seatac) via priceline for $37.00 with tax. Airport shuttle is free and a town car to Pier 30 is $25- $30. Parking for a seven day cruise is free or can be had at the pier for $70.00.(www.rpnw.com)

Renton is 15 minutes from downtown Most hotels in this area run a free shuttle in a 5 mile radius for free. Large shopping center and IKEA nearby.

Hello All- Sounds like you all got some nice places to stay. I actually live in Seattle and am leaving on the May 21 Diamond to Alaska. If you need any help with other things in Seattle give me a hollar and I will be glad to help ya find some good things to do....

[quote name=Drink-in-Hand/Toes-in-Sand

Priceline OK]

We got a room at the Renaissance in Downtown Seattle for $85 -- plus tax and other fees. Ended up being a little over $100. Looks like a very nice hotel and with the savings we don't mind taking a cab to the port. :)

G'day DiH/TiS

You bet Priceline is OK! Her's a tip for new players....be careful!!

I totally stuffed up my first ever go at booking my hotel in LA - I put in the wrong month after several unsuccessful attempts to make a booking in another city and ended up with a reservation I couldn't use.:eek:

However, a quick (international! :o ) call to PL's help line provided a one-time good deal way out. It was quite a detailed process, but well worth the effort and saved us $65 that will be better used for a shore excursion! I know I won't be making that mistake again (hopefully! :D). Thanks, heaps, PL! :)

Archived