Sailing into Auckland from Brisbane

Hi All,

We're sailing on the the Sun Princess from Brisbane around New Zealand in Dec 2012. Our first port is Auckland and I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what the experience is like and what the arrival into New Zealand waters is like.

Is there much to see on the day before and on the entry into Auckland?

Thanks

Peter

Hi All,

We're sailing on the the Sun Princess from Brisbane around New Zealand in Dec 2012. Our first port is Auckland and I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what the experience is like and what the arrival into New Zealand waters is like.

Is there much to see on the day before and on the entry into Auckland?

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter. The afternoon before, you see Three Kings Islands from a distance then in the evening there is the NZ coast, but not very close. The sail in to Auckland is lovely and it's worth getting up early to make the most of it. It's a beautiful country. :)

Peter

The Auckland sail in is similar to Sydney Harbour but not as spectacular. The ship usually ties up next to the Hilton Hotel, so close in fact that you can talk to the hotel guests on their balconies from the ship. It is interesting to see the looks on their faces as they come out on their balconies early in the morning as the ship is docking.

The CBD is within easy walking distance from the pier; much closer than where the ships tie up in Sydney to their CBD.

John

Is there much to see on the day before and on the entry into Auckland?Thanks

Peter

The sail in to Auckland will be very early,probably starting around 5-5.30 am. You are scheduled to sail out at 6pm which will be daylight so thats when you will see more. Look for the dancing tugs as you leave. Its quite neat sailing out around North Head with the City behind you and the Hauraki Gulf stretching away before you. Once down the Rangitoto Channel there is not much more to see. The sail in/out of Tauranga is really neat as you sail around, and very close to ,the Mount. Usually, if sail out is not too late , people will gather there to wave and call out to you .

Look for the dancing tugs as you leave.

Yes, its quite neat to see them dance :D, if they are not too busy or your not too late in sailing then they might do a dance for you!

Its quite neat sailing out around North Head with the City behind you and the Hauraki Gulf stretching away before you.

Also when you go around North Head, you can see the city thought the gap in the land (between North Head and another volcano, which I cant remember the name of at the moment., but keep an eye on the left hand side of the land).

Archived