Say goodbye to DODs and Hurricane cups

dotshub

Read some of the Itinerary Boards and you'll see one person after another reporting on bad experiences when they left the "safety" of whatever enclave the ship docks at and go out among the natives. I don't know how much of that is true or not, but I do know most people don't want to experience the reality of the countries they are cruising to in the Caribbean but rather the sanitized version of it that's being peddled on carefully controlled excursions or private islands or artificial enclaves like Mahogany Bay.

"I left the confines of the cruise area, and some some poor people! Oh, the horror. Really ruined my day seeing those poor folks."

Nothing worst than seeing actual natives in their actual day to day environment!;)

Moz, thanks for the comment, I am just so saddened at the direction Carnival is going. Think the menu changes are horrible. I don't get on facebook too many risks, don't need the whole world knowing my business. Love your screen name, Moz is one of my favorite TV actors.

Gator Man...just curious....you posted the following on another thread.

They actually look pretty good, they left my favorites with the exception of the shrimp cocktail every day. I was led to believe there were more drastic changes than what it really is. Only a few changes since I was on the Dream last year, don't care for the comfort food but others probably like it, there is still plenty of options left that I enjoy, hate that they substituted flat iron for New York Strip but I'll live. I stop eating beef on Carnival when they instituted the Steakhouses and started using select beef in the MDR. Still looks like a better menu than what you get on RCCL or NCL, guess I will have to stay around, book another cruise and see for myself how the quality is, I've never had a bad meal on Carnival, I know better than to order the beef dishes unless I am going to the Steakhouse. Saw where they still had Escargot, thought I saw a post that said they no longer had it, oh well hope its really still there.

So, do you like the menu or not?

"I left the confines of the cruise area, and some some poor people! Oh, the horror. Really ruined my day seeing those poor folks."

Nothing worst than seeing actual natives in their actual day to day environment!;)

Maybe these 3rd world places should hire Disney on how the be "native" correctly.

Didn't these people learn anything from Epcot?:rolleyes:

I got an idea....Since we all have these plastic cups in our cupboard at home...let's pack them and take them with us and have Carnival pour our drinks that we buy in those glasses so we still feel like the good ole' days of DOD's ;)

That's what Hubby and I will be doing from now on. We like them because we buy a bottle of Captain Morgan from Bon Voyage, bring our own soda on and use the cups during the week for our own drinks. We just had to take a step back on the Liberty last month when they didn't have them. No announcement, just take them away.

Just got off the Triumph yesterday and they were all there...the Hurricane, the Puffer Fish, the Disco Ball, the Whale Tail, and the Coconut Monkey Head! Oh and there was plenty of shrimp-including the shrimp cocktail. Now take away my chocolate melting cake and I WILL be mad! LOL

They reuse them. Maybe they go in the dishwasher or maybe not all of them. Also how much room do all the souviner cups take up. My name is not Pete.
You're aware that all your cutlery, glasses,table wear to sat nothing of sheets, towels and napkins have been used before?

You are not the first to use each of these items and not the last. Why does it bother you to use a used ,washed, plastic cup?

Shirley you don't have a problem with this Pete.;)

Adding to the pile:

Fresh off Fascination and we have 4 hurricane cups we brought home (there was a different one every day). They also had the whale tail, monkey head, coconut, disco ball, and blow fish cups.

We passed on all those because we wouldn't use them again, we're sure.

But no worries -- the cups are alive and well in the Carnival Fleet!!

I guess I went a little overboard[pun intended] with the germ thing But I would think those cups don't look so good after a dozen or so washes. If people get a new one and keep it for souviner good for them.

My point is their must be a reason they are phasing them out.

We were on the freedom 4/21 sailing and there was no DOD, but daily drink specials. They now have different cups but not the old hurricane cups. For those of you who have been cruising for years, do you remember when the cups were glass? I have hurricane, brandy and mason jar glasses with the carnival logo that the DOD came in. I have been cruising since 1990 so have seen many changes. I miss the nightly midnight buffet too, but I understand why they did away with that.

We were on the freedom 4/21 sailing and there was no DOD, but daily drink specials. They now have different cups but not the old hurricane cups. For those of you who have been cruising for years, do you remember when the cups were glass? I have hurricane, brandy and mason jar glasses with the carnival logo that the DOD came in. I have been cruising since 1990 so have seen many changes. I miss the nightly midnight buffet too, but I understand why they did away with that.

We were on that same cruise and yes, the hurricane cups/glasses(plastic)/whatever are no more on the Freedom. The embarkation day drink (Funship Special) is still available, just not in the familiar glass. And yes I do remember when the glasses were "glass" and they had the different types you mention. We have them all here at home. :) I'm pretty sure they switched for both cost and safety reasons although at the interior bars on the ship (i.e. not on Lido near the pools) you still get drinks in "glass" glasses.

Just got off Liberty last Saturday... all hurricanes etc as normal.... :confused:

Maybe they're just using up their stock of those glasses and each ship has a different amount on hand?? :confused:

Just off the Miracle today. Hurricaine plastic cups in abundance. I did get my disco ball onboard and my Monkey head on Half Moon Cay. I was having so much fun, I forgot to look for the whale tale and blowfish. Guess I'll just have to keep cruising Carnival 'til I complete the set.;)

My husband and I just got off the Carnival Liberty on May 5th. The 'Blue Iguana' bar on lido deck had hurricane cups (clear only). I saw them there each day!

Around the ship I also saw the whale tail cups, the silver disco ball cups, the blowfish cups, the Tervis tumblers (super nice!) at the 'Blue Iguana' and at the 'Red Frog', the light-up plastic Carnival shot glasses, the twisty-style cups in pink, green, and clear, and the ceramic parrot tumblers (light green, deep orange, and another color that I can't remember). To me, there wasn't a shortage of cup choices! Disclaimer: your choices may vary, depending on your cruise ship and sail date!

I agree 100% mamaskittles. There is no way this could be to reduce costs. Actually, doing this will cut into their revenue. They make a mint on these cups. Probably a 95% markup. Which is why I dont believe this is true. No company in the world would eliminate a product that has that type of profit margin!

I agree, but I disagree. I agree that taking away something that you actually pay for is not a "cutback", if they were free and they took them away that would be different...

But, I do believe this is about making money. Yes, they made money on those glassed, but they were like $8 or so...the new cups they are replacing them with such as the fish, the disco ball, the funnel are almost $13 and I think the last coconut monkeyhead was around $16ish...

Now, if people like to grab a souvenir cup to bring home, makes MUCH more sense to sell the ones that cost that much more and honestly, the kids LOVE them when they see them. The novelty of them is what is going to sell, not sure how much drink they actually hold.

So, walk around on the Lido with these or the Hurricane glasses, I know my kids are gonna beg me to buy one of those drinks so they can take the cups home...

As far as who thinks what is good and bad, WAY too subjective. Yes, there are cutbacks, there are on every line and every line is different and I really think that everyone should try them all to see how they compare and which is best for them.

Someone mentioned the NCL Breakaway creating quite a buzz...that buzz will fade out QUICKLY if they don't do something about that itineray. We really enjoy sailing on NCL, they go right out of NYC and have a decent product, actually enjoy they have all the restaurants to pay for, gives us something different and some are as little as $5, but Port Canaveral will drag them down...there is not reason they can't pick up a little speed and get further south...even Key West.

To all of the doubters:

From John Heald's Facebook page today:

So as you may know we are phasing out the old Funship Special glass that served us and you so well over many years of fun. These have been replaced with other souvenir glasses that I will be showing you today. These will eventually be fleet wide and I will let you know when they are. Let's start with the Tiki cups. Cheers

Based on how these look, they are probably more expensive than the old hurricane glasses. But I didn't see a price comparison yet.

Maggie

Alright, the new glasses are SO much better. I will HAVE to have a Tervis tumbler from the Red Frog Rum bar. I won't be going on a 2.0 ship anytime soon, so hopefully I can find one on Ebay.

Archived