Katishna Experience vs. Tundra wilderness tour

treinke

Trying to decide between these two tours. We have read so many different things about both that we are confused. Is the extra time on the bus worth it?

I think we plan on doing the first full day we are there and then do the shuttle the next day if we want more.

I'll open the floor for comments.

Are you on a cruisetour or just going independently?

I would not recommend the Kantishna Experience - it is a very long day just to get a lunch and an activity in Kantishna.

The TWT is better than other tours offered, but I still would recommend the shuttle bus the first day in place of the TWT. Why spend 2-3x as much and not go as far as the Eielson shuttle bus? The only real difference between the TWT and the shuttle is the zoom camera and TV screen in the TWT bus. But with a decent pair of binoculars you more than counter that "advantage" (which really isn't an advantage IMHO - if I were going to look at wildlife on a TV screen I would stay home and watch Discovery Channel - much cheaper!).

We are independent. Going to be there two full days (staying three nights)

Is there a reason you are looking at the "tours"?? Being independent, has the advantage of easily using the shuttle buses. Drive to the access center- unlike cruisetour people, who have to coordinate getting there.

Just another suggestion.

If you are thinking of taking the long ride to Kantishna, work with Kantishna air, take the shuttle bus into Kantishna and FLY out. http://www.katair.com/rates.html#DepotRate Look at the Denali Depot Express with scenic flightseeing.

Truly, truly one of the most spectacular flights I have been on in Alaska. DIRECT out of the little Kantishna airport into the North Face of Denali. It shows you just how massive the mountain is.

Kind of pricey but WORTH THE MONEY!!!! Enjoy!!!

We are on a cruise tour and it includes the natural history tour which on these boards I hear is not worthwhile. We have the option of upgrading to the tundra wilderness tour or Katishna. It sounds like the shuttle is out for us. Which tour would you recommend? Thanks

Rather than the TWT, consider the Eielson or Wonder Lake shuttle:

- TWT goes to Milepost 53 (Toklat) , 8 hrs, $113

- Eielson goes to Milepost 66. 8 hrs, $34 (ending at the Eielson Visitor Center with exhibits, trails, views, restrooms)

-Wonder Lake goes to Mile 85, 11 hrs, $46

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/shuttle-buses/eielson-visitor-center.aspx

Prime bear viewing between Toklat and EVC

We are on a cruise tour and it includes the natural history tour which on these boards I hear is not worthwhile. We have the option of upgrading to the tundra wilderness tour or Katishna. It sounds like the shuttle is out for us. Which tour would you recommend? Thanks

Why is the shuttle "out"?

Yes I wonder too why the shuttle is "out." Same road, extremely similar buses, same route. Shuttle to Toklat yields the exact same results as the Tundra Wilderness Tour at a much lower cost, though Eielson shuttle means you get a much greater chance of seeing bears.

Budget Queen said something about difficulty for cruise tour passengers getting to shuttle pick up. We will be at the Princess Denali Lodge. Also we will be there SEpt 12-14 and there are different posts about how late into Sept the shuttle buses run.

Budget Queen said something about difficulty for cruise tour passengers getting to shuttle pick up. We will be at the Princess Denali Lodge. Also we will be there SEpt 12-14 and there are different posts about how late into Sept the shuttle buses run.

Princess operates a shuttle from their lodge to the park entrance. You just can't take a really early shuttle bus.

Also, the shuttle buses always operate until the 2nd Thursday after Labor Day, though it is weather dependent. One year I was camping at Wonder Lake about Sep 10th and a big snowfall came so they closed the campground and stopped all shuttle buses for the rest of the season. Took us literally all day to get back to the entrance (about 12 hours one way!).

So you can take a shuttle on Sep 13, which would be perfect. Unfortunately most likely the fall colors will be gone by then, but it is still a great time to be in the park.

It is difficult for some people to do anything on their own, and prefer the cruisetours.

IF you can manage the details and get yourself to the Wilderness Access Center with a Princess shuttle bus, then consider doing so. IF you can't or don't want to, then book a tour bus that picks up direct at the Princess Lodge.

Rather than the TWT, consider the Eielson or Wonder Lake shuttle:

- TWT goes to Milepost 53 (Toklat) , 8 hrs, $113

- Eielson goes to Milepost 66. 8 hrs, $34 (ending at the Eielson Visitor Center with exhibits, trails, views, restrooms)

-Wonder Lake goes to Mile 85, 11 hrs, $46

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/shuttle-buses/eielson-visitor-center.aspx

Prime bear viewing between Toklat and EVC

Bummer...I looked at booking Eielson or wonder lake through this link but not available until June 1...we'll be there the end of may...any other options? We already have reservations for TWT

Bummer...I looked at booking Eielson or wonder lake through this link but not available until June 1...we'll be there the end of may...any other options? We already have reservations for TWT

the Toklat shuttle bus is avaible. Can you change around your itinerary and be at Denali June 1 or later??

If you can't change your timing of your trip, consider the Toklat shuttle. It goes to Mile 53 same as the TWT, but only costs $30. Look at the details in the web site.

Also, note that on/after June 1st often the TWT goes to mile 61 (Stony Overlook). But before June 1st that is not possible. The road is closed past Toklat to any buses until June 1st. So yes, I too would recommend trying to switch to the Toklat shuttle. If the weather is nice, you can get off the shuttle and do a little walking. If you get off at Toklat you can walk further along the road (where it is closed to vehicles) and perhaps see wolves - that area west of Toklat is a prime area for wolf sightings.

Archived