Portland

canuck eh?

You're welcome! Those pics were taken on Sunday! Even us Mainers still go to those places. The headlight is beautiful, and you can't beat LL Beans guarantee!

Feel free to ask any questions, I went to college in Portland and know the area well.

You're welcome! Those pics were taken on Sunday! Even us Mainers still go to those places. The headlight is beautiful, and you can't beat LL Beans guarantee!

Feel free to ask any questions, I went to college in Portland and know the area well.

I love, love, love your pictures! I can hardly wait to see the lighthouse in person.

Have you ever eaten at Becky's Diner? I saw it featured on Guy's Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.

Have you ever eaten at Becky's Diner? I saw it featured on Guy's Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.

Becky's is true diner food. Which to me is great. But I wouldn't stand in line to eat there.

There are tons of places in Old Port (where you'll be docked) to eat. You just won't find chain fast food eateries. If Beck's has a line out the door, move on, you'll find something good! If there's not a line, go for it!

If you are renting a car you should also go to Spring Point Lighthouse on the campus of Southern Maine CC in So. Portland. It's on your way to Portland headlight and it's a cool lighthouse you can walk out to across huge rocks.... The cruise ship will come past it on it's way in... Just stay on the port side on your way into Portland harbor and you'll see both lighthouses from the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Portland on Oct. 13 from 7 am to 8 pm. My husband would really like to go to Freeport and and visit the Goldenrod Garage. I would like to go to LLBean and the mall. Does anyone know of a tour company that would personalize our trip to do that? What other types of transportation could we use? There is a mention on the cruise critic ports menu that Hertz has a kiosk at the pier when a ship is due in, but I asked a Hertz representative on their website about it and she said she couldn't find anywhere that Hertz did that. Since it is a Saturday, Enterprise closes at 1:00 so they couldn't bring us back to the port. Can anyone tell me how far it is from 1 Marginal Way to the port? I guess if it isn't too far we could walk back. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Vicki

We will be in Portland on Oct. 13 from 7 am to 8 pm. My husband would really like to go to Freeport and and visit the Goldenrod Garage. I would like to go to LLBean and the mall. Does anyone know of a tour company that would personalize our trip to do that? What other types of transportation could we use? There is a mention on the cruise critic ports menu that Hertz has a kiosk at the pier when a ship is due in, but I asked a Hertz representative on their website about it and she said she couldn't find anywhere that Hertz did that. Since it is a Saturday, Enterprise closes at 1:00 so they couldn't bring us back to the port. Can anyone tell me how far it is from 1 Marginal Way to the port? I guess if it isn't too far we could walk back. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Vicki

1) I wouldn't walk from Marginal Way to the port. It's 1.5 miles, but it would incorporate some of the heavier traffic of the city, and a pretty significant hill. A taxi might be a better option if you found yourself needed to do that.

2) Unfortunately, Goldenrod Garage is quite a distance away from the center of Freeport and L.L. Bean. So you're right... you'd need a private tour or a rental car.

3) The Mall is nothing to write home about... Freeport is the far better place to spend your time. IMO. But if you have time to kill... it's in South Portland... which is a little bit in the opposite direction.

Thanks for the information. I was thinking there was a mall in Freeport. Guess the stores there are just individually located? Definitely want to go to the Goldenrod Garage so will continue to look for private tour companies. Freeport doesn't seem to be that far from Portland. Would it be impossible or cost prohibitive to take a taxi to Freeport? Also, would like to do a winery in the Portland area. Are there any wineries that offer tastings that are close? Vicki

Freeport is a collection of outlets and stores... pretty much stand-alone storefronts spread out over about a mile of Main Street. I like to say that "parking in Freeport is the only thing that's free..." but the good news is that parking is free!

It's just under 17 miles from Portland to Freeport... I would suspect that a taxi would not be an ideal situation, but I really don't know, having never priced one.

Given the distance of the Garage from the center of Freeport, I think that you probably would be better off figuring out how to get a rental car for the day... otherwise you'll need multiple taxis... and you'll probably need to call for a pickup when you're ready to leave the Garage.

I don't know about wineries... I'm sure others will be able to chime in.

Thanks for the information. I was thinking there was a mall in Freeport. Guess the stores there are just individually located? Definitely want to go to the Goldenrod Garage so will continue to look for private tour companies. Freeport doesn't seem to be that far from Portland. Would it be impossible or cost prohibitive to take a taxi to Freeport? Also, would like to do a winery in the Portland area. Are there any wineries that offer tastings that are close? Vicki

Here are a couple of links that I think should help:

http://freeportusamap.com/

Find Main Street and Bow Street on the map. At that intersection is where you will find the LL Bean flagship store. In the "rectangular box" bordered by Mill and Depot street, find the (P) Parking logo. That is a (free) parking garage, and probably the handiest spot for you. There are lots and lots of parking lots in town, but usually very full. Above that parking garage is a relatively new outside shopping mall. From there, you'll find stores all along that area of Main, and down the side streets.

You can see 295 to the left of Main St. You come up that road from Portland. Scroll down the map and you'll see that you can exit off 295 at the Desert Road exit and then onto Lower Main St. It's really very easy!

On your other question, there are several wineries in Maine, but not a lot of choices in Greater Portland. I did find this winery in a quick search. I have not been there, so I can't recommend....but Yarmouth is the town right before you reach Freeport, so...it could be a good choice/stop for you. I would say give them a call and see if they have tastings..

http://www.catchwine.com/wineries/maine/royal_river_winery/

Have a great cruise!!

Thanks for the info. Will definitely check out the website and call the winery. Now to find the whoopie pie store.

Maine is known for whoopie pies, so you can find them at lots of places! One you can check out in Freeport is Wicked Whoopies at 32 Main St. When you look at the map I posted, you'll see it at the corner of Main and Grove.

Enjoy!

Maine is known for whoopie pies, so you can find them at lots of places! One you can check out in Freeport is Wicked Whoopies at 32 Main St. When you look at the map I posted, you'll see it at the corner of Main and Grove.

Enjoy!

While you're shopping for yummy treats in Freeport, check out Simply Divine Brownies (in the same general area as Coach outlet). They're...well....Simply divine.

http://www.simplydivinebrownies.com/index.html

It's a fast, easy drive from Portland to Freeport. We usually come into Portland on a ship but last fall, we went for a weekend with friends. Had a fabulous time and spent Sunday afternoon at Freeport. Easy and fun. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Shopping in Freeport IMO is the best, You could not do all the stores in one day, but you certainly could try, coach outlet is my fav, beside llbean store and outlet. The golden rod is maybe 5 miles from shopping in Freeport. Have you found a way to get to Freeport from portland without taking a taxi? Wine tasting I don't know of any near, but again in Freeport they make blueberry vodka out of Maine potatoes that is very good. You could stop by there on the way.

Thanks for the suggestions. The blueberry vodka sounds good. Is it close to LLBean? We have rented a car for the trip to Freeport and will try to go to Blacksmiths Winery in South Casco. Don't know how far out of the way that is but looks interesting. The directions say it is opposite the Cry of the Loon Shops. Anybody know about them? Thinking about going to DeMilo's for a lobster roll before we get back on the ship.

Can one of you Maine or Portland natives tell me if Trader JOe's is walkable from cruise terminal?

Thanks,

Patsy

Use intersection of Commercial Street/Franklin Arterial (ship) and Marginal Way/Preble St (Trader Joe's) -- and then check Google Maps or MapQuest to see your distance. Franklin Arterial will take you down to Marginal Way, and then a left to the store... It's down hill to the store, and up hill coming back -- if that makes a difference to you!

Thanks for the suggestions. The blueberry vodka sounds good. Is it close to LLBean? We have rented a car for the trip to Freeport and will try to go to Blacksmiths Winery in South Casco. Don't know how far out of the way that is but looks interesting. The directions say it is opposite the Cry of the Loon Shops. Anybody know about them? Thinking about going to DeMilo's for a lobster roll before we get back on the ship.

You may be attempting too much to try getting to South Casco after Freeport, and before getting back to Portland... The blueberry vodka is in Freeport, just over the line from Yarmouth. LL Bean is further north by 5 minutes or so... Blacksmiths Winery is nice, but not worth an extra long ride, IMHO... The Cry of the Loon is a fun little gift shop, but after all the Freeport options, again IMHO no worth the extra drive. I think between Freeport, and the "Old Port" area in Portland, along with DiMillo's, you will be very happy about your day spent in Maine! Have fun!!