Portland

canuck eh?

I live on the coast of Brunswick, which is 15-20 mins north of Freeport andmy mom lives in Casco, and it's a good hour drive if no traffic. One way.. There is no highway to get to Casco you would have to use Rt#302, not knowing how long your in port ...I'd be careful.

If you have time left over there are some nice stores near where your ship is docked.

If you want to do the vodka tour the website is cold river vodka dot com, it's just 5 mins from llbean, and stores. There is a new parking garage in Freeport that is free...

Hope this helps

I live on the coast of Brunswick, which is 15-20 mins north of Freeport andmy mom lives in Casco, and it's a good hour drive if no traffic. One way.. There is no highway to get to Casco you would have to use Rt#302, not knowing how long your in port ...I'd be careful.

If you have time left over there are some nice stores near where your ship is docked.

If you want to do the vodka tour the website is cold river vodka dot com, it's just 5 mins from llbean, and stores. There is a new parking garage in Freeport that is free...

Hope this helps

Thanks for the website. I copied the address and telephone number so will give them a call and find out when we can do the tour.

hi! What is there to do and see within walking distance from the ship that is free or costs little?

What kinds of things do you like to do? ie: scenic views, photography, history, people watch, window shop, bite to eat, etc. Tell me more, and I'll recommend a few things! :)

Would love to try to do a tour of the Allagash Brewery while in Portland - is a cab my only choice to get there - and how much do you think that would cost?

Also, someone asked earlier and I don't believe I ever saw an answer - are there any good places to get a lobster roll (even better if they serve it with butter only, no mayo)?

Would love to try to do a tour of the Allagash Brewery while in Portland - is a cab my only choice to get there - and how much do you think that would cost?

Also, someone asked earlier and I don't believe I ever saw an answer - are there any good places to get a lobster roll (even better if they serve it with butter only, no mayo)?

If you are up for renting a car then you could easily get to the brewery (sign up ahead of time!), and then do some other sightseeing around the Portland area. Enterprise is the closest car rental agency -- on Marginal Way, Portland.

Here's a link to a great spot for a lobster roll, if it's a nice day...right on the ocean.

http://lobstershacktwolights.com/

The brewery is west about a 15 minute drive from the ship, depending on traffic, while the Lobster Shack is east about a 20 minute drive from the ship. If this sounds interesting to you, then here's another stop you might want to fit in while you are going or coming from the restaurant:

http://www.portlandheadlight.com/

If the car rental option isn't feasible, then you can get a lobster roll at a few different locations right along Commercial Street -- Gilberts and DiMillo's are a couple of choices!

We will be renting a car on Saturday Oct 13th...What would be the most scenic drive to take to see the colors? Also, is there a route that would allow us to take in some of Freeport on our way (not as important to us though as seeing the beautiful scenery).

You should go to cape elizabeth to see portland head light. The road to the headlight is what most people think all Maine roads are, tree covered, like you are going through a tunnel. It will really depend on how the leaves are changing the week you come. You can do this within an hour and have time to ho up to Freeport. Maine has so many trees, you really won't have to go in search of them.

We will be renting a car on Saturday Oct 13th...What would be the most scenic drive to take to see the colors? Also, is there a route that would allow us to take in some of Freeport on our way (not as important to us though as seeing the beautiful scenery).

I gave you this foliage website link on your other post...

http://www.maine.gov/doc/foliage/report/index.shtml

If you want to stop in Freeport during your day in port, an idea might be visit Bradbury Mountain State Park -- particularly if the foliage is at peak in Southern Maine (watch the map!)

http://bradburymountain.com/home.html

This is pretty close to Freeport, so you could do both. I personally think the most magnificent foliage views are when you can find higher elevation and see for miles! :)

We would like suggestions on what to do when we arrive in Portland. This is our 5th cruise. We have taken a tour to Kennebunkport. We rented a car to drive to Boothbay, but never made it. I'm thinking of picking apples to ship home.

We love nature and would love a nice drive for the day. Old Orchard Beach looks good or maybe we should drive again to drive to Boothbay?

Any suggestions?

I have picked at many orchards but if your coming from portland and headed north, you could go to Terisons it's in Cumberland, Maine Its the first place in southern Maine that offered pick your own. I am not super sure they ship as I go and get them and come home with them. Nothing like a bite out of a fresh cool apple off a tree.

The trees are changing color now so it's getting very pretty.

Enjoy your cruise.

Deb

I would wait until next week, the trees are starting to turn and next weekend you should see some good colors.. I can't believe how much they have changed in one week. Of course the more north and west you go the more color you will see.

Have a fun trip ... And welcome to Maine..

Thanks.

We love Maine and particularly Portland. We spent a wonderful weekend there a year ago with our good friends.

We've lived in Boston all our lives and still choose cruises that call in Portland when we can. :) The development and rehab work done in your city is outstanding IMO

Thanks.

We love Maine and particularly Portland. We spent a wonderful weekend there a year ago with our good friends.

We've lived in Boston all our lives and still choose cruises that call in Portland when we can. :) The development and rehab work done in your city is outstanding IMO

Thanks for sharing. We will be walking from the ship ... what are some suggestions that you feel we should not miss. We also want to find a place where we can have a great Lobster Roll for lunch.

Portland Lobster Company is about a city block away from the ship, right on the harbor with a view of the ship. It is as casual as it gets with wooden picnic benches. The menu is printed on the wall, you place your order and take a seat. They give you a plastic lobster that lights up when your order is ready for you to return for it. :D It's crazy and DH and I are much more the 'be served' on white clothed tables but we have fun there. The lobsters, lobster rolls, fried clams are all good. It's the sort of lunch you probably wouldn't have most anywhere else and the atmosphere, on a pretty day, is great fun.

On the weekend we spent in Portland last year with our friends, we had lunch there and dinner at a James Beard FINE Restaurant that night.... (Hugo's). The contrast between the two restaurants was very funny. :D

Edited by sail7seas

• 2 weeks later...
I have picked at many orchards but if your coming from portland and headed north, you could go to Terisons it's in Cumberland, Maine Its the first place in southern Maine that offered pick your own. I am not super sure they ship as I go and get them and come home with them. Nothing like a bite out of a fresh cool apple off a tree.

The trees are changing color now so it's getting very pretty.

Enjoy your cruise.

Deb

If you like nature, Old Orchard Beach probably isn't the place to go. It's a lovely beach but is a touristy town with tacky gift shops and a carnival. Here's my pick for a nice nature trip near Portland - Scarborough Marsh. Rent a car and it's just 20 minutes south. You can rent canoes and paddle the salt marsh, enjoying foliage and bird-watching.

http://maineaudubon.org/our-locations/scarborough-marsh/

Try Portland, Maine Foodie tour -- goggle it. The last stop is a beer brewery -- lots of snacks and interesting sites along the way. Very enjoyable -- about 1.5 miles and 2.5 hours. Starts at the Old Wine Shop on Commercial St. Vicki:)

What kinds of things do you like to do? ie: scenic views, photography, history, people watch, window shop, bite to eat, etc. Tell me more, and I'll recommend a few things! :)

Hi I hear there is a Trader Joes in Portland. Is it within walking distance of the ship?

Thanks

Google has it about 1.1 miles from where you will dock. The address is 87 Marginal Way. For me, that would be in walking distance.

SBtS

thanks

I had read where it was,but not sure how far from cruse dock. We are both in mobility scooters and didnt know if we could get that far on them.

Thanks again

thanks

I had read where it was,but not sure how far from cruse dock. We are both in mobility scooters and didnt know if we could get that far on them.

Thanks again

Portland is built on quite a hill... the cruise port is on one side... and Trader Joe's is on the other side. Some of that area may be on cobblestone streets and sidewalks may not be the best. On the other hand, there's a paved multi-use trail that doesn't go up-and-over the hill, but sort of around the hill (although it does go up some). I don't know the rules about mobility scooters on the multi-use trail.