Southern Caribbean waters

Are the waters rougher leaving from Puerto Rico? I think I'm ready to book the AOS for next April but was concerned about the water. I took a cruise about 10 years ago out of San Juan and I remember it being very rocky at times. Just wondered if that is the norm or maybe the ships have better stabilizers now. I'm sure the Adventure is larger than the ship I was on at the time (which was a Carnival ship ... just don't remember the name) Thanks for your help. (I REALLY need to book a cruise soon!) ;)

Our first cruise was april/03 on the Carnival Destiny out of San Juan. Very smooth sailing the whole week.

We cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale, Eastern, in Jan/05, and it was VERY rough down to San Juan and back, but once we hit san juan, and the other islands, was very smooth.

The western also seems to be smoother than the eastern, but we tend to cruise in April and May, so could just be those months too.

I have sailed from San Juan at least 10 times and the waters are far more calm than sailing from Florida or New York. We usually sail in November or December, although we have also sailed from there in April and May. I much prefer the islands that we see sailing from San Juan too. I don't think you would be sorry if you went from there again. Of course, now that I have told you that, probably some freaky storm will hit. Good luck and enjoy your San Juan cruise.

Katie

The 1st night could be........!!! It's usually the one night I'm forced to take Bonine.

When you depart from San Juan you head due north. You are still in the Atlantic Ocean at that point with no islands or land masses to your east to protect you from the waves the westerly winds create.

You will then head east, and then south around the east coast of P.R.. After that, depending on your itinerary, you will be protected by the islands of the Lesser Antilles (Windward, & Leeward Islands).

Now, not to say it's ever been real rough -- just noticeable that 1st night!! Plus, haven’t developed my “sea legs” as of yet………

Just got back from AOS (Apr 17) from San Juan. Waters were not choppy at all. We did feel it a little when we were in the theatre, but I just think it was the area of the ship. Very smooth sailing the whole trip. We HATED leaving from San Juan though. Thought the airport was mass. confusion and just too much hassle and expensive to get to by air.

BTW.....we are in Central NJ. Trekked all the way to JFK via airport shuttle.

We only paid about $325 total for 2 to fly....jet blue's presence there really pulls down the fairs. We used AA and flew out early on Friday. Spent 2 days in SJ. Honestly it only would have taken 20 minutes from curb to gate (but we stopped for breakfast.)

You are a New Yorker so you can probably put up with JFK.....it really is not THAT bad....I have had worse problems at EWR and PHL.....

just MHO

BTW.....we are in Central NJ. Trekked all the way to JFK via airport shuttle.

We only paid about $325 total for 2 to fly....jet blue's presence there really pulls down the fairs. We used AA and flew out early on Friday. Spent 2 days in SJ. Honestly it only would have taken 20 minutes from curb to gate (but we stopped for breakfast.)

You are a New Yorker so you can probably put up with JFK.....it really is not THAT bad....I have had worse problems at EWR and PHL.....

just MHO

First, Hi from a Burlington County guy.

Second, what problems did you encounter flying in to PR on a Sunday? My wife and I are scheduled to land in SJ around 1130am. Is the airport understaffed or something which could hold up our baggage? I figured we'd be arriving too early. I need this cruise to go smoothly. Write back. Thanks.

:)

I sailed on AOS in July 2003. It was the smoothest sailing I've experienced . . . my 2 cruises to the Bahamas were incredibly rocky. Don't know why.

I flew INTO San Juan on a Sunday and flew OUT of San Juan on a Sunday. The aiport was pretty quiet on the day of arrival. We flew in around 11 am. The only 'crowds' I saw were the poor folks waiting for the RCI bus transfers. We got into a cab and were immediately whisked to the pier for a mere 20 dollars total.

Day of departure was a bit more busy. Our flight didn't leave until 4pm so we checked in around 11am and there was definitely some mayhem- luckily since we were coming from a cruise boat, the aiport officials didn't need us to stand in the long baggage X-ray machine line that was formed outside the terminal. Once we checked in, we got a cab to a nearby restaurant for some lunch. When we arrived back at the aiport for our flight, we discovered that it was shut down because the volanco on Martinique created a haze that made the air visibility poor. Luckily, the aiport reopened and we were only 1 1/2 hours late.

Hope this helps.

I think it's a situation where it depends so much from sailing to sailing.

For example, on the AOS recently, the waters were rough all week long. But on the CCL Paradise in Sep 00, the water was so smooth! In Sep 01, the water was also sooo smooth, the ExOS never moved. So therefore, it really depends.

But it wasn't so rough that plates were flying across the room and people were green with sickness all week. You could feel the ship moving, but after all, it is a SHIP, and what do ships do ... ?

They Move! :)

Have a few foo foo drinks, you'll walk normally then ;)

Archived