Rep. rting In From the Zuiderdam

startwin

We are trying both HAL and Celebrity in the next 16 months...Hal is this coming November, and the Celebrity cruise is a 9-night Pacific Coastal wine cruise that we're really excited about.

I want to join in the thanks to the posters who took/are taking time out of their vacation to post from the ship! It's greatly appreciated!

Sounds like fun!! You'll have to let us know how they compare. The Pacific Coastal Wine cruise sounds like something we'd love to do.

I've been debating whether I wanted to post some thoughts or not, and where to post them...since hypercafe opened the door I'm going to put on my suit of armor and proceed...:(

I'm having a difficult time understanding some of the visceral responses to reports of plumbing and/or air conditioning problems on the Zuiderdam. As a first time HAL passenger but an experienced cruiser, I have turned to this board for information and tips about our long-anticipated Panama Canal cruise on HAL in November.

I certainly realize that mechanical problems can occur on a ship at any time, and I accept that as part of the equation when I decide to cruise. I have experienced some minor problems several times on a ship, and those problems were repaired promptly and in no way impacted my enjoyment of my vacation. However, I haven't experienced problems of the magnitude being reported on the current Zuiderdam cruise, and that has me concerned.

I'm reading everything that's posted trying to make an informed decision, and in the process of commenting on various threads I have been called a HAL hater (I hardly think I would be paying for a Deluxe Suite if I hated HAL), I have been told to get lost, and I have been told I'm unrealistic to expect functioning plumbing and air conditioning for my cruise fare.

In 12 years on Cruise Critic I have gained a wealth of knowledge, tips, and advice, and I try to "pay it forward" whenever possible. My husband and I probably fell in love with cruising in part because of the great advice we got on this site as well as the wonderful people I met on roll calls. I think I have also developed a pretty good "BS Meter" for posts that I can dismiss as invalid or exaggerated...the live posts from the Zuiderdam don't strike me as exaggerated. Long-time cruisers and posters on a specific line's forum don't have any reason to paint a bleak picture.

My point is this...the Zuiderdam appears to have some recurring problems with two major systems. The purpose of Cruise Critic is to discuss cruises and ships. Let's respect the opinions of the posters who are currently on the ship, the previous cruisers who loved every minute of their cruise, the previous cruisers who hated every minute of their cruise, and those of us who have yet to cruise HAL but are trying to soak up all the information we can. I come here to learn and I value the opinions of experienced HAL cruisers very much. I just wish this discussion could continue without people being jumped on for stating their experiences or opinions.

Very well said. :)

We will board the Zuiderdam in San Diego next Tuesday for a 4-day Pacific Coastal cruise, ending in Vancouver.

For the first 3 days we will have NO ports to stop at to use public facilities.

startwin - I can't imagine getting off the ship in Mexico to use the toilet is the solution, but what other choice would you have! Good grief. You have a way better attitude about your circumstances than I would.

I hope I don't regret booking this cruise. I am not even looking forward to it now. It was supposed to be our "cruise to no where" for a time of total relaxation. Not a happy camper right now!

Perhaps I should take a port-a-potty. Do they make travel size port-a-potties??

Portapotties are small and fit in an SUV or a boat very nicely.

They will even fit in a shower stall as small as any I've seen on board.:D

I've been debating whether I wanted to post some thoughts or not, and where to post them...since hypercafe opened the door I'm going to put on my suit of armor and proceed...:(

I'm having a difficult time understanding some of the visceral responses to reports of plumbing and/or air conditioning problems on the Zuiderdam. As a first time HAL passenger but an experienced cruiser, I have turned to this board for information and tips about our long-anticipated Panama Canal cruise on HAL in November.

I certainly realize that mechanical problems can occur on a ship at any time, and I accept that as part of the equation when I decide to cruise. I have experienced some minor problems several times on a ship, and those problems were repaired promptly and in no way impacted my enjoyment of my vacation. However, I haven't experienced problems of the magnitude being reported on the current Zuiderdam cruise, and that has me concerned.

I'm reading everything that's posted trying to make an informed decision, and in the process of commenting on various threads I have been called a HAL hater (I hardly think I would be paying for a Deluxe Suite if I hated HAL), I have been told to get lost, and I have been told I'm unrealistic to expect functioning plumbing and air conditioning for my cruise fare.

In 12 years on Cruise Critic I have gained a wealth of knowledge, tips, and advice, and I try to "pay it forward" whenever possible. My husband and I probably fell in love with cruising in part because of the great advice we got on this site as well as the wonderful people I met on roll calls. I think I have also developed a pretty good "BS Meter" for posts that I can dismiss as invalid or exaggerated...the live posts from the Zuiderdam don't strike me as exaggerated. Long-time cruisers and posters on a specific line's forum don't have any reason to paint a bleak picture.

My point is this...the Zuiderdam appears to have some recurring problems with two major systems. The purpose of Cruise Critic is to discuss cruises and ships. Let's respect the opinions of the posters who are currently on the ship, the previous cruisers who loved every minute of their cruise, the previous cruisers who hated every minute of their cruise, and those of us who have yet to cruise HAL but are trying to soak up all the information we can. I come here to learn and I value the opinions of experienced HAL cruisers very much. I just wish this discussion could continue without people being jumped on for stating their experiences or opinions.

With that kind of common sense, you don't need the Aggie sign as an avaatar, people who know will know. :cool:

For those of you considering trying other lines, how about try a new ship?

The Eurodam and Ms Nieuw Amsterdam are amazing and in good working order. So amazing...

or the oldest;) The Elegant Explorer is a wonderful ship and our AC and toilets worked just fine:)

The Eurodam and Ms Nieuw Amsterdam are amazing and in good working order. So amazing...[/quote]

I would like to add the 'Noordam' to this list based on my recent cruise! :) (Doesn't the 'Eurodam still have ongoing 'vibration' issues)? :confused:

Jacqui, wasn't that the ship on which you 'experienced' the Code Red during your cruise? :D Walt/Ward

Yes Ward (hope you saw my apology in another post) - it was - so was the Nieuw Amsterdam. code red can happen on any ship. The Prinsendam handled it much more eloquently than the Nieuw Amsterdam IMO and, they beat it. :) Everything was fine before we started the TA portion:) On the Nieuw Amsterdam it lasted for the entire cruise:D A Transatlantic in Code Red is no fun:(

Despite the code red we have REBOOKED the prinsendam for our 31 day next year - I think that speaks volumes for our experience on this ship

Sounds like fun!! You'll have to let us know how they compare. The Pacific Coastal Wine cruise sounds like something we'd love to do.

It's not until September 2013, so I have a pretty long wait!:rolleyes: We're trying Aqua Class...friends have raved about BLU, so we thought we'd give it a try. The itinerary is intriguing to us too, with an overnight in San Francisco.

Yes Ward (hope you saw my apology in another post) - it was - so was the Nieuw Amsterdam. code red can happen on any ship. The Prinsendam handled it much more eloquently than the Nieuw Amsterdam IMO and, they beat it. :) Everything was fine before we started the TA portion:) On the Nieuw Amsterdam it lasted for the entire cruise:D A Transatlantic in Code Red is no fun:(

Despite the code red we have REBOOKED the prinsendam for our 31 day next year - I think that speaks volumes for our experience on this ship

Jacqui, I would only book a cruise on the 'Prinsendam' if it has an 'Outdoor Walkaround' as I am an avid walker who walks many brisk kms per day! ;) (And there was no apology required)! :) Ward

It's not until September 2013, so I have a pretty long wait!:rolleyes: We're trying Aqua Class...friends have raved about BLU, so we thought we'd give it a try. The itinerary is intriguing to us too, with an overnight in San Francisco.

And formal wear is NOT required in BLU on formal nights! ;)

Jacqui, I would only book a cruise on the 'Prinsendam' if it has an 'Outdoor Walkaround' as I am an avid walker who walks many brisk kms per day! ;) (And there was no apology required)! :) Ward

You mean the wrap around promenade deck Ward? It has that - we walked around the ship every day :) Also has the walk around on the highest deck - a lot of people were running and jogging up there:)

You mean the wrap around promenade deck Ward? It has that - we walked around the ship every day :) Also has the walk around on the highest deck - a lot of people were running and jogging up there:)

Yes, I mean the wrap around deck! :) (HAL refers to it as the 'Outdoor Walkaround')! Hopefully running/jogging is not allowed on this deck onboard the Prinsendam? :confused: And it would be a pleasure to meet you on a HAL cruise! :)

Yes, I mean the wrap around deck! :) (HAL refers to it as the 'Outdoor Walkaround')! Hopefully running/jogging is not allowed on this deck onboard the Prinsendam? :confused: And it would be a pleasure to meet you on a HAL cruise! :)

No the running is on the running/jogging track on the observation lounge:) Everyone was walking on the 'walkaround' (I always call it the wrap around deck - I don't know why). Dh really liked this ship. Who knows maybe one day we will end up on the same cruise -;)

I just booked on the Z a few weeks ago for a partial canal trip next April.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the reports after her drydock in Dec 2012 will have fixed all the a/c & plumbing problems by then.:confused:

The main reason I booked this trip is for the itineray. Does anyone know if any other ships do this same trip?

I just booked on the Z a few weeks ago for a partial canal trip next April.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the reports after her drydock in Dec 2012 will have fixed all the a/c & plumbing problems by then.:confused:

The main reason I booked this trip is for the itineray. Does anyone know if any other ships do this same trip?

Only the Zuiderdam does this partial Panama Canal cruise.

I've sailed this itinerary. Princess has one very similar that we seriously considered. You might want to take a look at that.

We have been informed by the captain that we are sailing into some rough weather and that things will start flying around later today and tonight. He is expecting high winds and 15 foot seas. We have been instructed to secure loose objects and to wear suitable footwear.

Our table mates had the captain for drinks on their balcony and he told them that we may have to skip Port Angeles and go straight to Vancouver.

I have broken out my trusty ginger pills and started taking them in advance of need.

Things are a little rough at this point but not too bad.

We have been informed by the captain that we are sailing into some rough weather and that things will start flying around later today and tonight. He is expecting high winds and 15 foot seas. We have been instructed to secure loose objects and to wear suitable footwear.

Our table mates had the captain for drinks on their balcony and he told them that we may have to skip Port Angeles and go straight to Vancouver.

I have broken out my trusty ginger pills and started taking them in advance of need.

Good luck! We were on Zuiderdam in rough weather and were pleased with how well she rode in high winds and rough seas. I hope she does as well for you.

Oh Sapper, sorry to hear this. Your DH gets seasick, doesn't he? (We considered taking the 4 day repo, but I was worried about the potential for bad seas and my mal de d). Stay safe, I hope you can "enjoy the ride".

The Eurodam and Ms Nieuw Amsterdam are amazing and in good working order. So amazing...

We talked about that, but the cutbacks were noticeable, and we figured this would be an issue on all of the ships. On the other hand, I would imagine Celebrity (that's what we're thinking about) probably has also had some cutbacks. It's just annoying because we love HAL and we don't want to go elsewhere, but after the cruise on the Z, we really think we need to try another line.

Sounds like fun!! At least you have something to look forward to in 2013. We've not made any plans yet. I'd love to overnight in SF. I need to pop over to the Celebrity board and check out the threads. Is BLU their specialty restaurant?

Sounds like fun!! At least you have something to look forward to in 2013. We've not made any plans yet. I'd love to overnight in SF. I need to pop over to the Celebrity board and check out the threads. Is BLU their specialty restaurant?

BLU is the dedicated restaurant (instead of MDR) for Aqua Class cabins. They serve a cooked-to-order breakfast and dinner there.:D It sounds intriguing, and the menus look awesome! There are several other specialty restaurants. We're going on the Millenium, which just came out of a major dry-dock and "Solsticizing."

Archived