Balmoral questions!

C at Sea

Hi! Could anyone tell me if its possible to walk all the way around Balmoral's prom deck?

Also if anyone has cruised with P&O, could you give me an idea how they compare in terms of service, food, entertainment, standard of cabins etc.

Obviously I realise that P&Oships are larger - but is it a case of bigger is not always better?! ;)

Yes, you can walk round the promenade deck and it is claimed that four circuits equals one mile!

I find great similarities between P&O and Fred. Olsen. The accommodation and food is of equal standard. The one area in which P&O is, in my view, better than FOCL is in the evening entertainment. Except during British school holidays you will find few children on the "Balmoral" whereas on some P&O there can be a large number, but they do have some child-free ships. The fact that Fred. Olsen ships sail from various ports in the UK can be very attractive to many people.

I have sailed several times on the "Balmoral" (in fact I spent six weeks on board earlier this year) and find it a comfortable, friendly and enjoyable experience.

Our motto is 'Sail south take P&O, Heading north Go with Fred'.

It has been written here a few times but is true.

P&O is a bit like an upmarket modern hotel. All mod cons. Sharp design. Like a well oiled machine.

Fred is more like a country house hotel. A tad more shabby. Friendlier. A bit more laid back.

We feel that with Fred you are a valued customer. With P&O you are more of a number.

FOOD - nothing in it but maybe P&O just better. But service on Fred better - they really do know your name and when we returned to the Balmoral 6 months later they knew us. You will not get that on P&O.

AGE - no getting over it. Fred's average age 70 or so. Probably 10 years more than P&O - but this is not a problem but is a fact.

SIZE - Fred's largest is Balmoral - around 1350 passengers but you do know you are on a ship. P&O (apart from Arcadia) are twice the size. On Fred you will bump into the same people - not on P&O. Up to you if you think that is good or bad.

ENTERTAINMENT - P&O quite a lot better. Their Headliners group are genuine WestEnd standard and do some great shows. Fred a poor second - not bad but quite a way behind.

Hope this helps.

Yes - thanks!

We have sailed P&O for many years, started with Canberra! Have also been on Princess and Cunard. Now getting a bit fed up of the ships getting larger and larger!

Sorry to say it - but noticed a definite drop in standards too!

Shall consider Fred Olsen. A friend also said they had a really good cruise on the Thompson Spirit. Must say always been a bit stuffy about them but maybe its time to be more broadminded!

We are the same. Trying the Braemar in October to West Africa & Cape Verde. Have done 4 p&o cruises. thoroughly enjoyed them, but we were looking for a different itinerary.

Have also sailed on a really small ship - the Athena - all the way to Caribbean out of Falmouth!! It was great

Jean

Blimey the good old (and I mean old) Athena. Our second ever cruise was on her up to Iceland and Greenland and we had a great time.

The Athena , of course, is better known as the Stockholm involved in a massive collision which sank an Italian liner in (I think) 1958 in thick fog outside New York. Both sides still blame each other.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
First time cruisers also get early bird boarding.

OMG. Our last cruise with FO was also our first (with FO) and we had to wait ages in a great barn-like place. If that was early boarding I can't imagine what it will be like this year when we are not first timers.

Tend to agree Atruimgirl. We first travelled with Fred last September, but never got any preferential boarding routine. We just had to wait in the departure lounge, the same as everybody else. Not that I'm complaining, I didn't expect any special treatment.

Brian

on our first time with FO we were one of the last on board, so no preferencial treatment at all. been the same since, sometimes sooner sometimes later, easiest and quickest was from Liverpool. but the getting out the lock was not good..........glad they are to use new terminal next year.

Archived