When did you know cruising was for you?

I_heart_vaca

When my husband and I were just getting together (almost 30 years ago), he had been on a cruise and I had not. I was reluctant, but he really wanted to go. I thought I'd be bored. Why on earth would I want to go on one of those.

Answer to your question? After the first dinner, I was hooked.

I like other types of trips too. We recently went with Odysseys (land tour) to Africa and it was amazing!!

I was itching to go on a cruise, but my husband had been horribly seasick on a ferry crossing--it was quite rough--and worried he would spend the whole week throwing up.
The only time I've ever been seasick was on a ferry crossing the English Channel. I think the first words I learned in French were "mal de mer.":p We've sailed on several weather-impacted cruises (Conquest 2005/Hurricane Dennis, Victory 2006/Tropical Storm Eduardo, Glory 2010/Hurricane Earl) and never experienced anything like that ferry crossing.

The only time I've ever been seasick was on a ferry crossing the English Channel. I think the first words I learned in French were "mal de mer.":p We've sailed on several weather-impacted cruises (Conquest 2005/Hurricane Dennis, Victory 2006/Tropical Storm Eduardo, Glory 2010/Hurricane Earl) and never experienced anything like that ferry crossing.

:D Hear you! Those ferry crossings can even get to those of us who never feel the least bit sick in really high choppy seas on cruise ships!

We were on the Cape May / Lewes Ferry for a couple of hours once in November in horrid weather. Didn't get seasick but came close and probably would have if I hadn't walked outside with the wind to my face ... almost froze but avoided being seasick. :rolleyes:

I was in high school and desperately wanted to go to the Caribbean, as I'd never been there. All the nice hotels were expensive, and we were having trouble choosing an island. My mom said she used to go on cruises when she was a kid and loved them, so she was advocating cruises. I wasn't so interested but soon realized that because cruises were more affordable and because my mom really wanted to do one, this was the way I was going to be able to go to the Caribbean. When we finally experienced our cruise, I knew cruising was right for me. I loved being able to visit many Caribbean destinations in one trip, and I enjoyed all the entertainment, activities, and food.

I've only been on one cruise so far,(next is in 7 weeks) but I was hooked by the time I'd paid for it, reading and researching on Cruise Critic made me feel like an old hand. The cruise lived up to every expectation and more!! The perfect holiday for a woman on her own; completely safe, always someone to talk to, room stewards to keep the housework under control, all the entertainment and food choices one could wish for.

As I boarded the Sun Princess for the first time, I almost couldn't breathe, I was so blown away by the size of the ship and the fact I AM ACTUALLY GOING ON A CRUISE!!

Finding it hard to be patient waiting for the next one. :D

Watching the premiere of The Love Boat is when I first knew that cruising was for me. :)

You beat me to this! :) I, too, was hooked watching "The Love Boat" :o. I just knew it would be right for me. So years later, when DH and I were looking to get away somewhere that cell phones and pagers wouldn't work, his company travel agent suggested a cruise. She booked us on the Crown Princess in a balcony stateroom (that was her only mistake because it spoiled me for anything less!). As much as I wanted to cruise, I was a little apprehensive because I had gotten really seasick on a ferry crossing from Playa del Carman to Cozumel 2 years earlier. I realized cruising was so much better when we finished dinner and went up on deck only to realize that we had sailed away from Ft. Lauderdale and I didn't even know we were moving! And that whole cell phone/pager thing - worked like a charm - DHs boss couldn't get in touch with him AT ALL!!! LOVED IT!

We're going on #5 (#2 for our DSs who fell in love with cruising 2 years ago after their first) in June 2013. Destination: ALASKA!!! Can't wait!

I had always wanted to try cruising, but like many others always felt it was beyond my reach money wise and worried I would get sea sick.

A couple years ago the opportunity to take the NCL Pride of America presented itself and off we went. I was so excited. when we boarded the ship and the person just inside the doors said "Welcome Aboard" I was hooked.

We got back from that trip and I found myself talking endlessly about the trip to anyone who would listen. So we booked another cruise.

I still love my land vacations and we have a condo in the Bahamas that we love. So now we just mix things up

Friends of ours were getting married, and they invited us to the cruise wedding. I of course said yes, but had an attitude about it. I got on the ship, no big deal, we went to the reception, no big deal, we had dinner, no big deal. We went to a show, no big deal. and then we went back to the cabin. Sitting on the bed was a towel animal, the bed was pulled down, and there was a chocolate on the pillow, and that was it! Something so small became the REALLY BIG DEAL! Our vacations have been cruises ever since. And I got rid of that bad attitude throughout my life too. Every thing amazes me now.:)

I went on my first cruise with my Grandmother and Uncle when I was in high school. I enjoyed it very much, but I wasn't sold on it until I cruise as an adult.

My husband and I spent 4 days in Rome pre cruise then took a 7 day cruise of the Med. This was the best way for us to travel. We got to spend a lot of time in Rome then got to sample many other cultures. From this we learned that we very much want to return to Turkey. I find that a cruise is a great way to do a quick sample of a country or culture to see if you want to return for an extended time there. When we left for our trip we were certain that we would LOVE Santorini to the exclusion of everything else. We were very disappointed, because we were not there to shop there was not much else there to keep us occupied. We spend the day on a excursion then just wandered the city until it was time to go back to the ship. On the other hand the Ephasus Turkey was the most amazing place we have ever been.

This past spring break we took the kids 9 & 11 on a cruise, they are already asking when they can take another one.

Such good comments here!

Here's mine:

I took my first cruise in 1998. It was my son and I, my mom and step-dad. We were celebrating my college graduation (at 41) and their 25th anniversary.

I was hooked at sail-away - standing at the rail with a drink in my hand.

Been hooked ever since. I rarely vacation any other way now.

Mom's been gone for 4 years but she loved to cruise. I always feel her with me and now my step-dad has become my cruising buddy.

We took our first cruise in 2001. This was after a road trip to Vancouver where we saw 2 cruise ships at Canada Place waiting to leave for Alaska. When we returned home, DH and I decided to cruise to Alaska the next summer. He had always wanted to see Alaska and I wanted to try cruising. We called a TA and booked a cruise right away. After waiting for 9 long months we flew from Toronto to Vancouver and boarded the ship. This as the only time we flew to port on the day of the cruise. We did the normal cruise thing and went to the Lido deck for a buffet lunch and then using the pocket map began touring the ship. After dropping our carryons in our cabin, we headed to the aft bar where I was so excited, I told DH that this was the only way I would travel from then on. Although we have gone on land trips, cruising remains our first love and since then we have cruised over 25 times and right now we have 4 cruises booked for the next 17 months.

Archived