Lake Bled Tour - from Koper, Slovenia Nov. 3

Hello! We've booked a tour of Lake Bled with Tina Hiti (with Saso, her partner) with one other couple. The castle and lake look amazing!

I was wondering if there are any charming towns we could visit on the way, and if anybody has recommendations for where to eat along the way (and length of drive).

Her van will fit two more, if anybody is interested let us know. She's recommended by Rick Steves. coreyandkyla@gmail.com

We took a ship tour to Lake Bled and really enjoyed it - it is beautiful. I remember the drive there being mostly freeway - didn't really drive through any nice towns that I recall. However, perhaps there are towns off of the freeway a bit. Our tour did make a short stop at a winery on the return, but it was nothing exciting. Would have rather spend those 30 minutes staying at the Lake a bit longer. We had a little traffic problem and got delayed maybe 30 minutes or so on the freeway on the way to the lake. For that reason I would suggest going to Bled first spend as much time as you want, and then if time allows stop somewhere on the return. That way if you get delayed somehow, you still get to spend the time at the lake.

You will want to spend your time at the Lake. We walked all around it and took the boat to the island.

We were there on a very rainy day and could not see the mountains which rise up behind the lake. I hope you have better weather. We still enjoyed it in the rain.

Length of drive about 2 hours maybe less. it went fast though our tour guide told us all about slovenia along the way. We ate lunch at the lake. There are a couple of cafes that overlook the lake.

• 3 months later...
Hello! We've booked a tour of Lake Bled with Tina Hiti (with Saso, her partner) with one other couple. The castle and lake look amazing!

I was wondering if there are any charming towns we could visit on the way, and if anybody has recommendations for where to eat along the way (and length of drive).

Her van will fit two more, if anybody is interested let us know. She's recommended by Rick Steves. coreyandkyla@gmail.com

could you please send me tina's contact info....

my email beachchairs2@hotmail.com

thank you so much...

• 8 months later...

Hello. Can you tell me if you enjoyed your tour with Tina? If so can you give me her contact info?

Here is my email: nyknitter1@aol.com

Thanks

Laura

After visiting the beautiful Lake Bled area have you guide take you to Ljubljana, the capitol of Slovenia, for on a walking tour of the old section of the city. Here can have lunch at one of the many out-door restaurants along the river that runs through the center of old town.

Click on the link below for my video of Lake Bled and Ljubljana.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Cruzer Two about going to Ljubliana - a beautiful city. I would also like to suggest that rather than rowing out to the island that you consider visiting the nearby river gorge. Our guide gave us the option of the row to the island or going to the river. We had a beautiful day so we elected to do the nature walk along the river. It was wonderful and very beautiful.

I hope that the original poster- caseykck- had a good tour with Saso last November. Unfortunately, I felt we had to back away from touring with him this November due to a lack of response to my emails as I tried to firm up details with him. Every other private tour operator we've used has responded within a day or so of emails we've sent and I've felt trust and confidence in using those companies because of prompt communication.

Another of our roll call members, who was part of our proposed Saso Slovenia tour, discovered Roundabout tours and we are going to be touring with them instead.

I hope others who are booking with Saso fare better than we did!

Just back from a port stop in Koper and was very pleased with Roundabout.* I had originally contacted Tina last Fall but she was already booked but forwarded my email to Sasso.* A week or two later, I heard from him but he said he couldn't committ to a tour for May 3rd until sometime in March after "the Rick Steves tour schedule is released".* I thanked him and let him know that I wanted to have my tours all set up by the end of January (to coincide with final payment).* I then found Roundabout through "Slovenia for You" a middle man it turns out.* Sometime in mid April, I get an email from Sasso saying he is sorry but he is available on May 3rd after all..* Too Bad for him I guess....:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

I have also got to report a VERY NEGATIVE experience with Saso:

We just returned yesterday from our Silhouette Adriatic cruise...

I am fairly compulsive when it comes to tours and trip planning. We booked Saso/Tina clear back in October 2012 for this just past June 28...

Here's an excerpt from Saso's e-mail to me dated October 17, 2012:

"We can confirm the tour for June 28th 2013, but at the moment I can not confirm that I will be you guide, as I don´t know the tour schedule yet, both my wife and my self we work for Rick Steves´ and we should get the dates sometime in March of 2013. In any case there will be somebody waiting for you in the port."

It appears that the Rick Steves' schedule runaround is standard for Saso...In any event, we were satisfied to accept that and were happy that we had this port arranged well in advance...We put together a group on our roll call with two other couples.

About a month prior to our leaving for the cruise, I email every one of our

booked tour providers. I inquire about last minute tips re dress codes, where to meet, etc. I like to confirm the times, number of people, type of vehicle, etc. then I will copy all of my tour mates regarding the response or forwarding the response, partly to keep them informed, partly to make sure they are still "in".

Every one of my guides for this cruise responded promptly--except Saso. I had to send him a second and a third request, telling him I was concerned about his non-responsiveness...asking him to at least confirm that he received my emails. He finally responded to one on June 4--with a very short response...But, at least I knew it had been received...

The morning we arrived in Koper, I had my group meet me in the lounge in front of Guest Relations...and we all walked off the ship together...

At the end of the gangplank, there were about 20 guides standing with signs for other passengers...including for a lot of people on our roll call...but nothing with my name. Some of the guides asked who we were waiting for...when we told them Saso, no one seemed to know him.

I sent him an email asking "where are you."...no response...I realized that I never did get a phone number, or, at least, if I had, I didn't have it with me.

We waited around about a half an hour, hoping he'd show up...or at least respond to my email. Nothing.

There was a young woman named Marushka at the pier from a different tour company that had a couple of vans there for other groups. We started speaking with her. Her boss came over and offered to arrange a tour for us. Marushka drove...and we made a slight detour to pick up the guide...a young man named Miha--who was supposed to have had the day off...(I have the card packed away somewhere in my luggage for now...I will post something about them as soon as I unpack and find their info).

We had a wonderful tour of Ljubljana and one of the caves. Both guide and driver were great...and they charged us LESS than Saso was supposed to. Hard to believe we could have had a better tour.

I finally got a response from Saso the next morning on my "where are you." Email. Claimed "we must have had an email mix-up"...that HE hadn't heard from me, so he didn't think we wanted the tour any more! And, besides, he said, it's a long ride for him to Koper, so, he didn't want to send a van...ABSOLUTELY NO APOLOGY. NOTHING!!!

I had NEVER had that happen to me with a port tour before.

Luckily for us, all the rest of our tours went off without a hitch...all of our

other guides were exactly where they said they would be...all on time...

Based on this experience, I would caution anyone against relying on Saso...Not responsive, and, in the end, not reliable

I have also got to report a VERY NEGATIVE experience with Saso:

We just returned yesterday from our Silhouette Adriatic cruise...

I am fairly compulsive when it comes to tours and trip planning. We booked Saso/Tina clear back in October 2012 for this just past June 28...

Here's an excerpt from Saso's e-mail to me dated October 17, 2012:

"We can confirm the tour for June 28th 2013, but at the moment I can not confirm that I will be you guide, as I don´t know the tour schedule yet, both my wife and my self we work for Rick Steves´ and we should get the dates sometime in March of 2013. In any case there will be somebody waiting for you in the port."

It appears that the Rick Steves' schedule runaround is standard for Saso...In any event, we were satisfied to accept that and were happy that we had this port arranged well in advance...We put together a group on our roll call with two other couples.

About a month prior to our leaving for the cruise, I email every one of our

booked tour providers. I inquire about last minute tips re dress codes, where to meet, etc. I like to confirm the times, number of people, type of vehicle, etc. then I will copy all of my tour mates regarding the response or forwarding the response, partly to keep them informed, partly to make sure they are still "in".

Every one of my guides for this cruise responded promptly--except Saso. I had to send him a second and a third request, telling him I was concerned about his non-responsiveness...asking him to at least confirm that he received my emails. He finally responded to one on June 4--with a very short response...But, at least I knew it had been received...

The morning we arrived in Koper, I had my group meet me in the lounge in front of Guest Relations...and we all walked off the ship together...

At the end of the gangplank, there were about 20 guides standing with signs for other passengers...including for a lot of people on our roll call...but nothing with my name. Some of the guides asked who we were waiting for...when we told them Saso, no one seemed to know him.

I sent him an email asking "where are you."...no response...I realized that I never did get a phone number, or, at least, if I had, I didn't have it with me.

We waited around about a half an hour, hoping he'd show up...or at least respond to my email. Nothing.

There was a young woman named Marushka at the pier from a different tour company that had a couple of vans there for other groups. We started speaking with her. Her boss came over and offered to arrange a tour for us. Marushka drove...and we made a slight detour to pick up the guide...a young man named Miha--who was supposed to have had the day off...(I have the card packed away somewhere in my luggage for now...I will post something about them as soon as I unpack and find their info).

We had a wonderful tour of Ljubljana and one of the caves. Both guide and driver were great...and they charged us LESS than Saso was supposed to. Hard to believe we could have had a better tour.

I finally got a response from Saso the next morning on my "where are you." Email. Claimed "we must have had an email mix-up"...that HE hadn't heard from me, so he didn't think we wanted the tour any more! And, besides, he said, it's a long ride for him to Koper, so, he didn't want to send a van...ABSOLUTELY NO APOLOGY. NOTHING!!!

I had NEVER had that happen to me with a port tour before.

Luckily for us, all the rest of our tours went off without a hitch...all of our

other guides were exactly where they said they would be...all on time...

Based on this experience, I would caution anyone against relying on Saso...Not responsive, and, in the end, not reliable

Hello , Thank you for your post and advice on tours in Koper. We will be stopping there in Sept.2013 on our RCI cruise. I appreciate your information on tour companies. Do you have the contact information for the company you ultimately used in Koper? If you could share it, I would be grateful. Thank you

Dee & Bill

I would like to add a suggestion that you do Lake bled on your own. I arranged a rental through Hertz, who met me at the dock with the vehicle. It is very easy driving, good roads and a straightforward route. Took just under two hours to drive. We went to the castle and then down to the lake for a trip to the island which was very enjoyable. We then went to the mall in Koper as my companion had the wheels of her suitcase damaged and had to get a new one for the trip home. Found a very nice one for a good price. I met Hertz at the port to drop off the car. All very simple and 1/3 the price of a tour.

I've the 4th edition of Rick Steves' Croatia & Slovenia guide in hand and he highly touts both Saso & Tina for Slovenia. After hearing Bruin Steve's horrible experience with Saso, I am so glad I gave up on him; however, how he handled Steve's booking is inexcusable!!

I'll come back in November to let you all know how Roundabout tours works out for the three groups of 8 on our roll call who are booked with them!!

I am unpacking and just found the card of the woman who drove us in Slovenia, Maruška...

The company is "Vita Iter Est", website vitaiterest.com

info@vitoiterest.com is the email address...

Our guide was Miha...

We went to Ljubljana and to the Škocjan Caves.

We decided that Lake Bled was a bit far from Koper and easier to fit in more time in Ljubljana and the caves (which are closer to Koper)...but I am sure Maruška can put together whatever combination you want...

They put our tour together for us right there at the dock...

Our cost for the tour was 55 euros per person plus admission fees for the caves for our group of six...Saso was going to charge us 68 pp plus fees...

I'll come back in November to let you all know how Roundabout tours works out for the three groups of 8 on our roll call who are booked with them!!

We were very happy with our Roundabout tour last May. We LOVED Slovenia and the people we met.

I was horrified when I read Steve Bruins report regarding his experience with Sasso I was on the same ship and had tried to book them in April, but lucky for me they wrote back saying they were too busy. Also, being a compulsive person when it comes to trip planning I did a lot of research and was thrilled to find Roundabout Tours. To anyone traveling to Koper: please contact them. Our guide (I can't seem to find her name, but will keep trying to locate it) was so smart and informative, and truly went out of her way to make our day special. Her tour of Lake Bled and Ljubljana really was the highlight of our trip!

I would like to add a suggestion that you do Lake bled on your own. I arranged a rental through Hertz, who met me at the dock with the vehicle. It is very easy driving, good roads and a straightforward route. Took just under two hours to drive. We went to the castle and then down to the lake for a trip to the island which was very enjoyable. We then went to the mall in Koper as my companion had the wheels of her suitcase damaged and had to get a new one for the trip home. Found a very nice one for a good price. I met Hertz at the port to drop off the car. All very simple and 1/3 the price of a tour.

I just booked a E40/ a day VW Polo, what a steal from Hertz. I think we'll be going to Lake Bled after all. We're on the Silhouette on 7/31 bouncing back and forth between former Yugoslavia and Italy. A Hertz sub compact rental in Italy is over E120/ a day. What a difference.

FWIW I booked a few extra Eurail rail 'n drive vouchers for a few ports in Italy, they cost about $100 a day for an intermediate. Also a good deal as a one-way 2-day rental from Civitavecchia to Verona was around E500, but covered by the vouchers.

Archived