Paris question

AtMaui

Some friends and I are doing the Paris-Normandy cruise in July with Uniworld. One of the optional excursions in Paris is a dinner cruise on the Seine. No price listed. Is it something we should do? Another optional excursion offered is Chateau de Chantilly. It's the morning before we board the ship in the afternoon. Since I've never heard of it, once again, is this something we should do? We have two nights in Paris at the beginning of the cruise and one night at the end.

Hi -

The dinner cruise was one of the optionals when we did the Seine with Uniworld a few years ago. No one ended going on it. The CD did not encourage anyone to take it - as he said the meal would not be better than we would get for free on the Baroness - and you can do the night time cruise (without the meal) for a lot less.

Now - if this is an optional over a time that you would normally be responsible for your own dinner, it might be worth looking into.

You have to buy dinner anyway - and you get a cruise at night as well.

Just my 2 cents... (for what it is worth...)

Fran

There are so many wonderful restaurants in Paris, and the food on those river cruises isn't terribly good. Many boats do the one-hour tour up and down the Seine throughout the day, and it's a good way to get a different perspective of the city. If you wanted to make it special, we've done a champagne tasting cruise through O Chateau, and then went to dinner at a restaurant of our choice.

Thanks for all your responses. It sounds like we should skip the optional excursion of the dinner cruise with Uniworld and just do something on our own.

We're going to be in Paris for Bastille Day. I know it will be very crowded but we definitely want to see the fireworks at the Eiffel Tower.

I wonder where you will be moored? From our position we could see the ET clearly from our sun deck. I don't know the exact location but those of you who know Paris, it was where the statues are (copper? Some were green); one of them was of a dog urinating on a street light. Anyway, something to check out when you arrive at your ship. (perhaps you could avoid the crowds that way)

I have taken the Seine River one hour cruise twice over the past few years, and both times I found it to be extremely touristy, and not demonstrative of the real Paris. For one thing, you can't understand the narrative because most people aren't paying attention and are talking amongst themselves. If you sit inside, you can't really get a good view. If you go outside on deck, it is sometimes too windy, and it is also hard to hear the narrative. The people who get the most out of it are those that know what they are passing and have read up on the history. You are much better off walking leisurely along the Seine on your own. There isn't any building or monument that you wouldn't be able to see lit up in all it's glory from the other side of the river or standing on one of the many bridges. And finally, if you are eating while on board, you really won't pay attention to the announcer or recording or even look out the window half the time! By the way, there is usually a person making crepes on board which are delicious and very popular, and there is a long line for this, and only one poor person who cooks them from scratch but also works the cashier, putting up with disgruntled hungry impatient tourists! My recommendation is that the Seine River Cruise is only worth it if it is included. I wouldn't pay extra for it. I know this sounds opinionated and perhaps a bit unfair, but I have been to Paris many times, and can think of many more memorable things to do with your precious time in this exhilarating city....

I agree Jesterscourt. We walked along the Seine and it was awesome. We figured that since we were sailing to Normandy, we would be having dinner on the Seine every night. On our walk we even found some quiet places to enjoy the sights which made it even more magical. Thanks for your comments!

What about just catching one of the boats that just goes up the Seine without the dinner part? Are these worth going on just for the experience , i have been told to go on a day one and a night one just to see the difference.

I have taken the Seine River one hour cruise twice over the past few years, and both times I found it to be extremely touristy, and not demonstrative of the real Paris. For one thing, you can't understand the narrative because most people aren't paying attention and are talking amongst themselves. If you sit inside, you can't really get a good view. If you go outside on deck, it is sometimes too windy, and it is also hard to hear the narrative. The people who get the most out of it are those that know what they are passing and have read up on the history. You are much better off walking leisurely along the Seine on your own. There isn't any building or monument that you wouldn't be able to see lit up in all it's glory from the other side of the river or standing on one of the many bridges. And finally, if you are eating while on board, you really won't pay attention to the announcer or recording or even look out the window half the time! By the way, there is usually a person making crepes on board which are delicious and very popular, and there is a long line for this, and only one poor person who cooks them from scratch but also works the cashier, putting up with disgruntled hungry impatient tourists! My recommendation is that the Seine River Cruise is only worth it if it is included. I wouldn't pay extra for it. I know this sounds opinionated and perhaps a bit unfair, but I have been to Paris many times, and can think of many more memorable things to do with your precious time in this exhilarating city....

I wish we would be on the boat on Bastille Day but the first two nights in Paris are at the Radisson Blu Ambassador which I understand is in the opera district.

I did read a report on line about how crowded it will be around the Eiffel Tower for the fireworks as well as for the parade earlier in the day.

To any of you who might have been in Paris on Bastille Day -- do you have any tips on where we should go to see the activities?

In answer to your question about the chateau at Chantilly.....we have been there and thought it was lovely. Chantilly is also a very nice town. That being said, if you have never been to Paris before, your time would be better spent in Paris as there is so much to see there. I agree on the rivier cruise---do it on your own---not the dinner cruise. We had a HOHO boat so we could get off and get back on whenever we wanted to and it was a lovely cruise.

Looking for anyone who has taken the river cruise on the Rhone River. Have several questions.

l. What is the weather like at this time of the year? More slacks and sweaters than shorts??

2. What tours do you recommend we take.

3. Tour in Provence was recommended. Is it worth it, or would we be better off doing it ourselves?

Any information on the above questions or this trip would be greatly appreciated.

The night cruise of the Seine should not be missed, whether you want to do it as a dinner cruise is up to you, but the Eiffel Tower illuminated with it "sparkling" on the hour is not to be missed. Our ship, Grand Circle's Bizet, went up river during dinner and then, after dinner we returned to our cabin balcony and thoroughly enjoyed the light show, as we returned to our docking location. The Bizet is lower than the Uniworld ships and can cruise under the Paris bridges. I have a blog of the cruise that I think is worth reading, no matter what cruise line you are taking. The blog has many pictures and a few videos. It is www.jackthetravelingman-seine.blogger.com. I don't know if any of the other cruise ships are low enough to do this.

Archived