Bringing wine on board

jamscckmc

I generally bring two bottles of wine, in my checked duffle. As my next cruise is out of SFO, (a 90 minute train ride away:D) I'll most likely bring my two bottles in my carry-on. In addition I plan on bringing 2-12 pack cans of diet Pepsi, I don't like Coke products.

We brought on a case of wine and a case of water in Fort Lauderdale 2 weeks ago. Be careful about packing this in your checked luggage as someone traveling with us had a wine bottle break all over their clothes and had to spend the first night doing laundry.

There are lots and lots of posts on this. There is no reasonable limit (some say no limit at all) on wine. We pack 6 bottles in bubble wrap for our recent trip. We have also left cases of pop and water with our luggage and had it delivered to our room.

Be careful about packing this in your checked luggage as someone traveling with us had a wine bottle break all over their clothes and had to spend the first night doing laundry.

I would strongly recommend that you carry it on for this reason alone. But also, in the event that Princess someday elects to enforce a limit, you want to be in a position to hand over any extra bottles without a fuss rather than have Security remove the extra bottles from your checked bags while you are not there to see them go through your belongings.

Bubble wrap and towels will work fine to protect your bottles. I just filled and put the following right through the x-ray machine and wheeled it to my room. Goes straight from the cargo hold of the plane to the ship:

winecruzer-8-pack-wheels-730x350-open.jpg

We carried on four bottles in an open topped tote bag with no questions asked. Saw a couple people carrying on liquor boxes taped shut. No problem for them either. Unless they abruptly change their policy, you will be okay at most ports carrying on a "few" bottles. We did it very openly, not hiding it in some kind of suitcase. Hopefully people don't abuse Princess' policy. It's a nice plus for sailing with them.

We have brought a few bottle from home on the occasion. Since we have to fly and the last thing I want is a bottle breaking and getting all over my cloths, we have used our food saver and vacuumed sealed the bottles and then packed them around soft cloths. Figure if it breaks, the food saver bags contains the spill.

We have brought a few bottle from home on the occasion. Since we have to fly .

Yikes...why carry all the weight? Unless of course you are carrying some "sentimental" bottle from home? So easy to pick up at arrival.;)

I would strongly recommend that you carry it on for this reason alone. But also, in the event that Princess someday elects to enforce a limit, you want to be in a position to hand over any extra bottles without a fuss rather than have Security remove the extra bottles from your checked bags while you are not there to see them go through your belongings.

Bubble wrap and towels will work fine to protect your bottles. I just filled and put the following right through the x-ray machine and wheeled it to my room. Goes straight from the cargo hold of the plane to the ship:

She actually did have it bubble wrapped and then wrapped in her lounge chair cover. Not sure how rough they were with that bag, maybe it was on the bottom of one of the carts with a lot of weight from other bags on top?

Yikes...why carry all the weight? Unless of course you are carrying some "sentimental" bottle from home? So easy to pick up at arrival.;)

A simple matter of drinking preference. Picking up wine upon arrival means that you will be buying and drinking current vintage wine. Taking wine from your cellar at home means that you will presumably be drinking wine that is already paid for, and has been cellared for the proper length of time and ready to drink. Checking wine below the plane is no big deal as long as you have the right packaging or carrier. My bags fly free on AA, but even if they didn't, I'd rather pay $25 to check wine that is bought and paid for than pay hundreds (or thousands) of dollars to to buy wine upon arrival. But if your drinking preference lies in current vintage, easy to obtain wines, (which is perfectly fine...not making any judgments here), then you are correct that it makes little sense to go through the effort. As for us, it isn't that the bottles have "sentimental" value, per se. Rather, we enjoy drinking some of our finer wines while enjoying life's best moments, and often times that is while on vacation, cruise or otherwise.

She actually did have it bubble wrapped and then wrapped in her lounge chair cover. Not sure how rough they were with that bag, maybe it was on the bottom of one of the carts with a lot of weight from other bags on top?

I just get suspicious anytime my luggage is tossed around by a fork lift!:cool:

My wine stays with me at all times, for all the reasons I said above. Too valuable to take chances.

Yes, B/C CA wine is nearly impossible to find in FLL. :rolleyes:

Yeah. When you go to Total Wine, you have to wade through aisle after aisle of Seminole Sauvignon, Gator Grenache, Key Lime Cabernet and South Beach Syrah. Really hard to find those Napa and Sonoma wines, let alone the Santa Lucia Valley and Santa Rita Hills. :D

Okay, if they decide to confiscate wine coming on board, do they give it back at the end?

Presumably. That is what they have done with confiscated alcohol at ports of call. And that is another reason why I would want to carry it on. If it ever were confiscated from my while in my possession, I would be in a better positon to work with them on arranging for safe keeping and return. If it were confiscated out of your checked luggage, who knows what would happen to it. (Though we can probably guess.)

A simple matter of drinking preference.

I get the idea of preferences.

I just get suspicious anytime my luggage is tossed around by a fork lift!:cool:

My wine stays with me at all times, for all the reasons I said above. Too valuable to take chances.

But how do you safeguard your "valuable" bottles when they can't be carried onboard the plane with you? If you are spending hundreds or thousands on what you take along, what's your assurance that nothing will happen to them? :eek:

The Princess website clearly says one bottle per adult passenger. They don't enforce this? First time on Princess this December.

If anything above policy limit is taken from you, you could suggest they be taken to your dining room and pay the corkage fee to drink with dinner. At least then you wouldn't have to carry them back home :)

But really...if leaving from FTL, you should have no problems carrying an more than a bottle. I just wouldn't flaunt it. Carrying on four bottles last January, in an open topped tote bag, was no problem, no questions asked.

The Princess website clearly says one bottle per adult passenger. They don't enforce this? First time on Princess this December.

I have not read it recently but have you ever actually read your cruise contract? Not the FAQ on the WEB site but the cruise contract. The contract does not limit the amount of wine you can take on board.

DON

I have not read it recently but have you ever actually read your cruise contract? Not the FAQ on the WEB site but the cruise contract. The contract does not limit the amount of wine you can take on board.

DON

You are right. It does not state any quantity.

We just sailed out of FLL and we brought a case of wine. We sealed up the box and put a luggage tag on it. The porter kind of raised his eyebrows when we dropped it off with the luggage, but DH tipped him $20 and said it would be fine! LOL

And so it was! Delivered to our cabin along with our luggage. :)

But how do you safeguard your "valuable" bottles when they can't be carried onboard the plane with you? If you are spending hundreds or thousands on what you take along, what's your assurance that nothing will happen to them? :eek:

See post #6 above. Same type of case that camera crews use to check thousands of dollars of video equipment. Bullet proof. Pressurized. Insulated. The wine goes in fully chilled and can sit on a hot tarmac for many hours before it warms up. After it is in the belly of the plane, warm temperatures are no longer a concern. On a plane, there is no restriction as to the number of bottles, so I don't have to worry about anyone confiscating the wine. There is no link in this chain that is a hazard to the wine. A TSA agent isn't going to say: "Hmmm. He's taking on more wine than he should. I think I'll correct that situation." A port security agent just might.

The simple answer, as distasteful as it is, is that while flying, I am breaking no rules so there is nothing to worry about. When boarding the ship, I am technically doing something that certain of the cruise line's literature says is not allowed. At any point along that chain, I could be foiled in my efforts to get the wine aboard. I want to be in physical possession of my wine if and when that happens.

Edits in red.

Archived