AB Parking

Sailing in May from Southaptom IOS, just booked with AB Parking, anyone used them before? I think they are the main one,

My Main question is do I drop off all the luggage and family somewhere then go park the car, or do I have to park first?

Sailing in May from Southaptom IOS, just booked with AB Parking, anyone used them before? I think they are the main one,

My Main question is do I drop off all the luggage and family somewhere then go park the car, or do I have to park first?

It is a really easy system so don't worry !

We did this last Summer and we are doing it again this Summer.

Just drive to the port and you will be directed to drive just in front of Indy. You will then stop where directed and a handling agent will take all your luggage (obviously you keep any carry-on with you) which you won't see again until it appears in your stateroom. You will then be directed where to park your car - then all together you will have a short stroll into check-in and you will then board !

We usually get to the port gates for about 10:30am ish, then by the time we have dropped off our luggage and parked the car just in front of Indy, we then stroll across to the check-in area (usually no crowds at this sort of time) then we usually board between 11-11:30am and make our way straight up to the Windjammer for Honey Stung Chicken for lunch !!!

Obviously the later you get to the port, the further away from Indy you will have to park - we get there early because we like to be close to her ;)

Is this your first cruise ?

If you have any further questions - just ask !!!

As you get toward the centre of Southampton there are illuminated signs directing traffic to the cruise ships in port that day. The IoS docks at the City Cruise terminal, so just follow the signs to Dock Gate 8 and there will be loads of people to point you in the right direction. Be aware when parking, that this is a long term car park and the spaces are a bit tighter than in your average supermarket etc, so make sure you leave enough room to get out of the door!

Simon

Hi

New here today!

Quick question...

I've got a space booked at AB Parking , we're departing on Independence. I'll be arriving with a car full of family and luggage - no probs there - I understand it's a breeze, BUT our friends who are coming on the same cruise as us have asked me if I could pick them up from Soton railway station once I've unloaded my family.

Would this be easy? Any idea of how much extra time it will tak eme to exit the car park, pick them up (assuming their train is on time!) and get back to the car park?

TIA

Thank you both for your reply, yes its our first time, and we are taking our 15 month old daughter and a friend, so 4 plus luggage and buggy etc , I was panicking a bit about arriving at port.

We leave from Wigan near manchester, not sure what time to set off yet, as its a week day we have rush hour also, its 9th may, think its about 3.5 to 4 hours, so was thinking about leaving at 7.30 ish

Thank you both for your reply, yes its our first time, and we are taking our 15 month old daughter and a friend, so 4 plus luggage and buggy etc , I was panicking a bit about arriving at port.

We leave from Wigan near manchester, not sure what time to set off yet, as its a week day we have rush hour also, its 9th may, think its about 3.5 to 4 hours, so was thinking about leaving at 7.30 ish

I also live in Lancashire and we always drive down the day before and stay in a hotel in Southampton. This is because we worry there could be an accident on the motorway or we might break down or any other reason that could cause a delay.

I also live in Lancashire and we always drive down the day before and stay in a hotel in Southampton. This is because we worry there could be an accident on the motorway or we might break down or any other reason that could cause a delay.

I was considering this, but I just can't imagine how difficult it would be to unpack the stuff for the 4 of us in hotel then repack!

How long does it take you to drive it normally? also do you know what time is the latest you can get there if the worst does happen?

Southampton Central is only a 5 - 10 minute walk from the cruise terminal if you walk in at Gate 10. To be honest, it would be quicker for you to park the car then walk over to help them, or even for them to get a cab (about £7). Heres the route on this map

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Central+Station+Bridge%2FA3057&daddr=Southern+Rd&hl=en&sll=50.902816,-1.411786&sspn=0.014993,0.037723&geocode=FebHCAMddmjq_w%3BFeK8CAMdrF_q_w&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=15&z=15

It won't let me put the right route in, but A is the station, B is gate 10. You just fork left at the roundabout and walk down Solent Rd to the cruise terminal (white buildings by the water).

As for driving from Wigan, I assume you'll jump on the M6, off at J9 onto M5, pick up M42 then M40 to J9, then A34, M3, M27, M271 into Southampton. Thats going to take at least 4 1/2 and probably nearer 5 hours (and presumably there will be 'toilet' stops for the 14 month old). You have got to get there by 3pm I think (to complete check in etc), so aim for 2pm. If I were you I would leave by 8.30am (hopefully worst of the rush hour should be over).

Simon

Another option (which I thnk you'll reject) is the train. Leaves Wigan North Western at 0828 and arrives Southampton 1241 (with one 10 minute window to change trains at Wolverhampton), or you could do the service one hour later. Unfortunately its £197 return each (your daughter goes free!), but if the train is timetabling 4 hrs 13 mins for the trip, you are going to have to allow over 5 hours I think.

Simon

I was considering this, but I just can't imagine how difficult it would be to unpack the stuff for the 4 of us in hotel then repack!

How long does it take you to drive it normally? also do you know what time is the latest you can get there if the worst does happen?

We leave the main suitcases in the car overnight and just take a small overnighter into the hotel with nightclothes and change of clothes in. We then leave this bag in the car while we go on our cruise.

It takes us around four and a half hours. This is with a stop at the motorway services about half way. And we take the toll road.

I think all aboard time is usually 4.00pm even though the ship might not leave until 5-6pm.

If you do decide to go down the same day, it's a an idea to take with you contact numbers of the port and the cruiseline.

Another option (which I thnk you'll reject) is the train. Leaves Wigan North Western at 0828 and arrives Southampton 1241 (with one 10 minute window to change trains at Wolverhampton), or you could do the service one hour later. Unfortunately its £197 return each (your daughter goes free!), but if the train is timetabling 4 hrs 13 mins for the trip, you are going to have to allow over 5 hours I think.

Simon

Thanks, I did think about the train, but at the moment it looks like we are going to have 5 cases, 1 buggy and 4 lots of hand bagged and someone will have to push the little one, so I dont think we have enough bodies to carry bags!

I think we might do a real early drive , we have insurance and I have made sure it covers us for weather , breakdown and traffic jam, still won't replaced the lost holiday but at least the finanacials are sorted!

Thanks again for your replies

Hi PeeWee

None of my business, but I'd favour the hotel option.

Pack an overnight bag for the hotel, and just use that - leave cases in the car overnight. Yes you'll have 3 trips from car park to the hotel with baby bottles, toys and nappy bags etc, but I'd say that's a small price to pay compared with spending the entire journey from 'the north' to Soton worried about travel delays.

Get to the hotel the evening before, baby will be asleep, grab a bar snack and share a bottle of wine - then have a lie-in (ha ha), a relaxing breakfast, you're on board a lot earlier in the day. (I'd suggest a Premier Inn, but other hotels are available).

Archived