3 months to go!

The J Project

The obsession over checking the cruise critic boards should have subsided by now, but maybe it's just ramping up? Not sure, first time cruiser and by nature obsessive so I ma continue this behaviour for the next 3 months!

Haven't gotten much by way of clothing for the trip, but was thinking since swimsuits are already being put out in stores, maybe now is a good time for some winter clearance stuff. I'm planning on borrowing a snowboard jacket from one of my sisters and getting maybe one nice fleece and a pair of gloves. I also need a good pair of waterproof hiking boots (gotta get them now so I can break em in!) and that's it!

We've decided on the following excursions:

Ketchikan - Zodiak Tour (hope to get some good whale watching)

Juneau - Hike to Mendenhall Glacier with Alaska & Beyond (sounds pretty vigorous and my husband will need it after the sea days)

Skagway - Tour up with Dave Dyea and Train ride down

Victoria - no plans, probably just walk around.

Things I'm looking forward to:

- Eating delicious food! I'm in the middle of a 9 week contest with a local boot camp (3.5 weeks to go) and I'm hoping to continue to lose weight (maybe 5 more pounds than I want) so that I can gain it back on the cruise and not feel guilty.

- Being disconnected! No phone calls to return, texts beeping at me, emails to be read.

- The awesome views and excursions! I'm secretly hoping for nice weather, but am imagining the grayest most rainy drizzly weather ever so that any peek of sun will be a pleasant surprise.

- No kids for 10 days!

Things I'm fretting over:

- Have booked some excursions on my own so of course I'm doing the usual what if the boat leaves without me, what if the boat needs to skip a port, what if we break a leg on the excursion - but that's just me and normal so I'm working through it.

- My husband is pretty antsy so hopefully he doesn't get all stir crazy.

- Feeling guilty about being away from the kids for 10 days. (maybe mostly feeling guilty over feeling happy about being away from them for 10 days?)

Anyhow, hope you are all having as much fun planning your trip as I am! Thanks for all the wonderful tips and advice!

http://www.thejproject2010.blogspot.com

Their is nothing wrong with getting excited for a cruise!! We are headed to Alaska the end of May. We did find some warmer stuff on clearance at places which was good. I have a countdown clock on my desktop. Reminds me why I am working......

I have been on these boards since I booked my cruise - last May. :D

Now with 58 days to go I am still here. This will be my third AK cruise and fourth cruise total so I am not totally new to this - the first cruise jitters are long gone and now I simply look forward to 7 days of no cares in the world :cool:.

My son might be more excited than me at this point. He is almost 3.5 & keeps saying "June is after May, today is April." He is also excited about our various modes of transportation to get to the "big boat." (Bus, plane, light rail, & train with a taxi or 3 thrown in for good measure.)

So while you will be away from your kids, other kids may be present.;)

It;s normal to get excited.

You will be fine -- don't fret over those private tours. They will get you back to the ship on time. Many years ago I would have suggested you not do a thing like that. But today's operators are more experinced and do not want to lose their busniess. So they will get you back to the ship.

Have a great cruise.

I did all the tour booking for our cruise and my friends are a little nervous too that we did not use the ship's tours. For all of us it will be a first cruise but I did try and book 1/2 day things early in the day so we have plenty of time.

Juneau - 6 hour whale watch/fishing with Rum Runners Charters and then Mendenhall Glacier on our own. We are in Juneau until 9 pm.

Skagway - rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake (the car breaking down is my biggest worry), we are in Skagway until 8:30 pm.

Icy Straight Point - considering hiking and bear watching

Ketchikan - Flight seeing with Island Wings at 1:30 and we leave at 6.

and that's it!

We've decided on the following excursions:

Ketchikan - Zodiak Tour (hope to get some good whale watching)

http://www.thejproject2010.blogspot.com

If whales are of any priority this is a poor choice. There is no consistant viewing areas near Ketchikan. Way south at Dixon Passage and north at Snow Pass is about it, which you can't get to on tours.

Archived