What was the deal with the Star this morning?

alwalaska

Just off the Star today and we watched the Star hit the pier. If the Star would have added 2 days to the cruise and stopped at Bermuda instead of having the 2 nighter to nowhere today, it wouldn't have had this problem. And we would still be on the ship instead of sitting at home typing this.:p

when is our next cruise???:confused::confused:

Just off the Star today and we watched the Star hit the pier. If the Star would have added 2 days to the cruise and stopped at Bermuda instead of having the 2 nighter to nowhere today, it wouldn't have had this problem. And we would still be on the ship instead of sitting at home typing this.:p

when is our next cruise???:confused::confused:

lol good one. welcome back home. my turn soon. :p

What surprises me hearing this news of the difficulty in docking the Star this morning, is that knowing of the strong winds, the Pilot did not call for a tug boat or two to assist in docking.

I am not a boater, but in light of conditions, wouldn't they have been better off docking at berth number two on pier 88 (the upriver, north side)?:confused:

We'll never understand why in hell that NYC got a shuttle and Houston didn't. Makes no sense. Had to be totally political.

I think it makes all the sense in the world. ;)

Why not bring it to the greatest city in the world!? :D

New York City’s Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum Complex is a dynamic, interactive and educational journey for all ages. The museum’s mission is to honor our heroes, educate the public and inspire our youth.

I suggest you get over it. :p

We'll never understand why in hell that NYC got a shuttle and Houston didn't. Makes no sense. Had to be totally political.

Or maybe because New York City has 48.7 million tourist visitors annually compared to 1.8 million visitors that Houston receives? Political....riiiight! Just saying........

What surprises me hearing this news of the difficulty in docking the Star this morning, is that knowing of the strong winds, the Pilot did not call for a tug boat or two to assist in docking.

I am not a boater, but in light of conditions, wouldn't they have been better off docking at berth number two on pier 88 (the upriver, north side)?:confused:

There seems to be some issue of fish breeding activity on that side of the pier so it is closed off for right now.

John

New York City’s Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum Complex is a dynamic, interactive and educational journey for all ages. The museum’s mission is to honor our heroes, educate the public and inspire our youth.

I suggest you tell me what New York's significant historical association has been with the space program? It was one of the criteria supposed to have been used by by the current NASA administrator Charles Bolden in making decisions on shuttle assignments. Mike Griffin (NASA administrator under the previous presidential administration has stated more once that he would have first allocated one for Florida, the second to JSC (Houston) and the third to Marshall Space Flight Center in Alabama. Bolden put New York on the list. Considering Houston's very long and rich history with the shuttle program, it was obviously a political move. BTW, in case you didn't know, the astronaut training facilites are here, the astronauts all live here and JSC has been the home of mission control for every single space shuttle flight. We just don't know what New York has to do with it. :p

This would have been a great response without the last line which shows the "typical" New Yorker arrogance. :(

John

Great points and you are absoultely right.......It might be political butttt it was an easy sell......:D

Have a GREAT BIRTHDAY CRUISE...we are out of here today on the Jewel..

Great points and you are absoultely right.......It might be political butttt it was an easy sell......:D

Have a GREAT BIRTHDAY CRUISE...we are out of here today on the Jewel..

Thanks.

OMG you and Loretta just got back from a cruise!! :eek:

Wish we were on the Jewel with you guys. Looks like an awesome itinerary.

Have a wonderful crusie!

Watched the Star come into New York yesterday. Caught these webshots. Didn't know what was going on but I could tell she was too close :eek:. Glad that everything is OK - can't wait to cruise on the Star in September.

685623874_Star4-27-121.jpg.bbabae95311b3dc294617b88ba67e60a.jpg

27252405_Star4-27-126.jpg.04078a01bca0744d65093ec5f58aa8d4.jpg

38916824_Star4-27-1210.jpg.4fd69ce1fee635ba98dc3889437def53.jpg

2087089487_Star4-27-1212.jpg.0b59e4b11e19a6f13a7999c0c198afc9.jpg

808174406_Star4-27-1215.jpg.5ed0efdd93f00a549b23269394f6d9be.jpg

Guest LoveMyBoxer
I suggest you tell me what New York's significant historical association has been with the space program? It was one of the criteria supposed to have been used by by the current NASA administrator Charles Bolden in making decisions on shuttle assignments. Mike Griffin (NASA administrator under the previous presidential administration has stated more once that he would have first allocated one for Florida, the second to JSC (Houston) and the third to Marshall Space Flight Center in Alabama. Bolden put New York on the list. Considering Houston's very long and rich history with the shuttle program, it was obviously a political move. BTW, in case you didn't know, the astronaut training facilites are here, the astronauts all live here and JSC has been the home of mission control for every single space shuttle flight. We just don't know what New York has to do with it. :p

Well since you asked: 1- NY paid the most. 2- N.Y. has produced more astronauts than any other state. 3- The shuttle will get more visitors here than anywhere else in the U.S. / Houston residents complained that they deserve a shuttle because mission control and the training facility was located there- My answer is you're right- you've gotten all the jobs from NASA and New York never got a piece of that action-so let us have our cake. 4. Corning Glass, was called upon to create the window for the shuttle. 5. Shuttle wings and vertical stabilizer were created by Grumman who also made the Lunar Module. 6. Sewell machine shop on 58th st in Woodside (not there anymore) made custom parts for NASA and built night vision goggle frames.

Watched the Star come into New York yesterday. Caught these webshots. Didn't know what was going on but I could tell she was too close :eek:. Glad that everything is OK - can't wait to cruise on the Star in September.

Wow! That's some pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Just glad everyone was ok.

I sure as heck wouldn't want to be the guy steering that ship yesterday.

Living in the area we heard it on the news right away yesterday. It grazed the dock that the Intrepid is at. It really had nothing to do with the fly-over, and my guess was it only made the news becuase of the fly-over and the tie into the Intrepid activities of the day which were all over the news here.

I heard things on the news that said "Norwegian ship hits Intrepid" and then "Norwegian Cruise Ship Star crashes into the Intrepid dock". At first I thought OMG!

The video from the looks of the people on the dock, it wasn't that big of a hit. The slowly walked back as the Star grazed the pier.

I used to own a boat (granted it was only a 19 foot... LOL) so I know how hard it can be to dock when the water is choppy, I can't imagine how hard it must be to dock a cruise ship! My mom is going on the Star in June, and I'm not concerned.

For what it's worth, I got to see the fly-over from a high point in my town, which was pretty cool. :)

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Living in the area we heard it on the news right away yesterday. It hit the dock that the Intrepid is at. It really had nothing to do with the fly-over and my guess was it only made the news becuase of the fly-over, and the tie into the Intrepid activities of the day.

I used to own a boat (granted it was only a 19 foot... LOL) so I know how hard it can be to dock when the water is choppy, I can't imagine how hard it must be to dock a cruise ship! My mom is going on the Star in June, and I'm not concerned.

Here is a video and from the looks of the people on the dock, it wasn't that big of a hit. The slowly walked back as the Star grazed the pier.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20120427/manhattan/norwegian-cruise-liner-hits-intrepid-hours-before-space-shuttle-flyover

For what it's worth, I got to see the fly-over from a high point in my town, which was pretty cool. :)

WOW! Thank you for the video. Still amazed that this same thing happened twice to the Star at the same spot!

WOW! Thank you for the video. Still amazed that this same thing happened twice to the Star at the same spot!

I assume it must be a difficult spot to dock considering there are river currents and tight space. Just my uneducated guess.

Love that boxer of yours, but I think I have said that already- but I want to say it every time! I love my boxer mix... best breed. Next dog for us is a boxer rescue.

A big thank you to all of you who just got back and posted what happened.

Also, a big thank you to those who posted pictures both of the docking and of the Enterprise Fly over. I am enjoyed looking at all of them.

I was watching the Intrepid Web cam, so I couldn't figure out what the Star hit since I didn't know the pier was so wide on the far side of her. It is not visible from the web cams and I have never been there. With all the pictures, I am so excited to not only see all the amazing planes on the Intrepid, but also the NCL ship that will be in port on Saturday the 12th before we leave on Sunday the 13th.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
The first time an NCL bumped the Intrepid in NYC in 2008, it was the Spirit. Too many S names probably confused people.

Yes, sorry. Confusion yesterday when those older posts were put on here.

Archived