What was the deal with the Star this morning?

alwalaska

The first time an NCL bumped the Intrepid in NYC in 2008, it was the Spirit. Too many S names probably confused people.

I missed that. I do remember the Spirit hitting pier 90 in 2008

Update: Norwegian Cruise Line had confirmed that Norwegian Spirit set sail as scheduled on Sunday. No ship itineraries were affected by this incident.

(May 25) -- Norwegian Cruise Line's Norwegian Spirit smashed into a Manhattan pier this morning. No one was hurt in the accident.

Support beams for a parking lot were damaged when the ship hit Pier 90 on the Hudson River while attempting to dock at the adjacent Pier 88. According to the New York Buildings Department, the Pier is not at risk to collapse.

Norwegian Spirit was returning to New York from an eight-night Eastern Caribbean sailing.

Cruise Critic member carol louise was at the scene. She writes on the NCL message boards, "We were between Pier 88 and 90 rotating clockwise to tie up on the north side of Pier 88 and just kept coming closer and closer to Pier 90. I was wondering if it was an optical illusion that we seemed so close, and then the tip of the bow actually hit Pier 90. It scraped along for maybe 20 feet, damaging the outside of the pier somewhat. On the ship, the collision partially broke and mangled the little platform that extends from the tip of the bow. There is a radar connected to it, and it stopped turning, as apparently a connection was ripped."

The bow of the ship was marred in the collision, but at this point, we don't know the extent of the damage, or if any future cruises will be affected.

There seems to be some issue of fish breeding activity on that side of the pier so it is closed off for right now.

John

Worry about fish breeding on the lower Hudson? These environmentalist's demands can be absurd at times. Save a few fish in polluted waters and put a couple thousand people and a half billion dollars in ship and piers in jeopardy? Ridiculous! Like the bird lovers that won't let them get rid of the bird hazard around major airports.....:rolleyes:

That still leaves the question...why didn't the pilot call for tug assistance, knowing of the difficult docking conditions?

What surprises me hearing this news of the difficulty in docking the Star this morning, is that knowing of the strong winds, the Pilot did not call for a tug boat or two to assist in docking.

I am not a boater, but in light of conditions, wouldn't they have been better off docking at berth number two on pier 88 (the upriver, north side)?:confused:

BINGO!

Yes, the captain should have had (2) tug boats on at least stand by. He screwed around for 2 hours trying to dock???:confused:

I don't know if the Star has straight shafts or if she has IPS pods. In either case she has both bow and stern thrusters. Their is no excuse for hitting the pier unless their was power failure.

BINGO!

Yes, the captain should have had (2) tug boats on at least stand by. He screwed around for 2 hours trying to dock???:confused:

I don't know if the Star has straight shafts or if she has IPS pods. In either case she has both bow and stern thrusters. Their is no excuse for hitting the pier unless their was power failure.

Wonder if the blame goes to the pilot or the captain in this case?

I'm sure the powers to be will decide....:confused:

I was outside on the Star's 7th deck and saw (felt) the ship graze the pier (it sounded like someone chewing up a bunch of toothpicks). I didn't even lose my balance. In my opinion the Captain did a terrific job against adverse conditions. It's always easy to 2nd guess decisions & actions after the fact (is this being an armchair captain? lol)

It was a wonderful cruise with excellent crew and staff!!!!!!!!!

Anna

I was outside on the Star's 7th deck and saw (felt) the ship graze the pier (it sounded like someone chewing up a bunch of toothpicks). I didn't even lose my balance. In my opinion the Captain did a terrific job against adverse conditions. It's always easy to 2nd guess decisions & actions after the fact (is this being an armchair captain? lol)

Anna

Glad you had a wonderful cruise and nobody got hurt.

What was so wonderful?? What is the one thing I can't/shouldn't miss?

(I always love the crew on NCL's ships)

Anna

When we were pulling into Kings Wharf in Bermuda the Gem has two tugs on standby, they were a hundred or so yards off our aft, port and starboard. Their was not any tidal current nor was their any wind. If they can do it there I'm sure it can be done in NYC

In a way, it was fortunate for NCL that the media was focused (literally) mainly on the Shuttle flyover, or the Star would have been the major headline......[/QUote

It was on this mornings ABC news at 9:15. Said there was a mishap.

I paused the dvr and took some nice pics of the ship. lol

In a way, it was fortunate for NCL that the media was focused (literally) mainly on the Shuttle flyover, or the Star would have been the major headline......[/QUote

It was on this mornings ABC news at 9:15. Said there was a mishap.

I paused the dvr and took some nice pics of the ship. lol

Since you seem to like pictures of the Star as much as I do, here are the "pictures" I took yesterday morning when the Star was on her way and and then again last night. The people on the CTN didn't know what they were asking for when they asked if I could snap a picture of sail-away for them. :D They got much more than 1.

We'll never understand why in hell that NYC got a shuttle and Houston didn't. Makes no sense. Had to be totally political.

Why not ask NASA to give you the Shuttle set to go on or already on display at the Smithsonian Museum or the one slated for California ?

BINGO!

The Star has Azipods for power.

The reports say the wind and currents overpowered the ship's propulsion.

I have seen other incidents of ships colliding or missing ports due to high winds.

When we were pulling into Kings Wharf in Bermuda the Gem has two tugs on standby, they were a hundred or so yards off our aft, port and starboard. Their was not any tidal current nor was their any wind. If they can do it there I'm sure it can be done in NYC

Some ports require the cruise lines to pay for tugs even though most are not needed. I call it a job security program for the tug operators.

We were on the Star and never knew there was an 'accident', tho' we were well aware of the docking issue, as we were having breakfast in Versailles.. :) Got to see one of the fly-overs when we finally were able to get off the ship.. Actually made a 1259 PM flight, after arriving at the airport in LGA at 1230..:eek: WHEW!!!:rolleyes: :D

ps: I own a boat and am well aware of issues involving low tides, wind and strong river currents.. Pilot had many issues against him..:( Considering everything, I'd give him a 'job well done'!!! :p

The captain was probably on the bridge - but the river pilot was in command. I think the price of a tug is cheaper than a wrecked ship or pier

I think that the Evergreen Air and Space Museum here in Oregon should have gotten one of the Shuttles - after all we have the Spruce Goose and an X plane ;)

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Does anyone know where the pilots get off and on when leaving or entering the harbor?

From our experience, it has been near or by Ambrose Tower.

The captain was probably on the bridge - but the river pilot was in command.

Sorry, incorrect. The only place a cruise ship captain will relinquish control of his ship is the Panama Canal. Ask any captain and he will verify this.

John

I didn't read the entire thread. But just by looking at the photo it looks like a typical experience trying to pull into a parking spot in NYC. HEHEHEHEHEHE! :D

It took almost 2 hours for the Star to make the last 1KM or less of her journey into NYC this morning. She backed back down the Hudson river twice to have another go at it.

Here is her track from marinetraffic

6973058982_7fbc76cd47.jpg

6973058982_7fbc76cd47_s.jpg

I didn't read the entire thread. But just by looking at the photo it looks like a typical experience trying to pull into a parking spot in NYC. HEHEHEHEHEHE! :D

You forgot to add 'by a woman driver':p

Look out, incoming!!!!!:D:D:D

There seems to be some issue of fish breeding activity on that side of the pier so it is closed off for right now.

John

Apparently that is over. Today the Gem is in Berth 1, and the Star is in Berth 2, and the HAL Veendam is over on Pier 90........

Guest LoveMyBoxer
You forgot to add 'by a woman driver':p

Look out, incoming!!!!!:D:D:D

Actually, a woman would have parked at the first available spot; a man will keep circling to find the best spot! :D

Archived