New To RCI

Hi

I have sailed CCL, DCL and NCL.

I would like to take my daughter on a surprise Sweet 16 cruise in August on Explorer of the Seas, the 5 night Bermuda.

I want to get on the ship the least expensive way possible as we are sailing in a suite on NCL in July.

Can you help with room selection. I see there are inside and inside promanade cabins?

I hate getting used to a new ship ughhhh. I am so confused and excited for something new all at the same time LOL

Also- I was reading someone's trip report and they mentioned getting on buses after check-in at Cape Liberty??? What is that about.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hi

I have sailed CCL, DCL and NCL.

I would like to take my daughter on a surprise Sweet 16 cruise in August on Explorer of the Seas, the 5 night Bermuda.

I want to get on the ship the least expensive way possible as we are sailing in a suite on NCL in July.

Can you help with room selection. I see there are inside and inside promanade cabins?

I hate getting used to a new ship ughhhh. I am so confused and excited for something new all at the same time LOL

Also- I was reading someone's trip report and they mentioned getting on buses after check-in at Cape Liberty??? What is that about.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

i think inside prominade would be the cheapest i would go because it has a window , but we prefer aft balconies. they have shuttle buses that take you from the terminal to the ship 2min ride

I've done 8 cruises on the Explorer - two to Bermuda, 5 with a balcony and 3 inside, once in a promenade cabin. What date are you looking at?

I'm fine in an inside cabin, but not everyone is. The promenade cabin was a little roomier, but I didn't really care about the window overlooking the promenade. It just wasn't worth the extra money to me.

My major recommendation is to pick a cabin near the aft elevators on decks 6-10. Deck 7 is my favorite, but I've been on other decks. There are a ton of inside cabins on decks 6-10. The OV's are almost all down on decks 2-3. Balconies are on 6-10, but stay away from deck 6 because the balcony has an all metal bottom.

The cheapest category I would recommend is an inside "N". However, you want to monitor your cruise to see if there are any price drops. Sometimes the higher inside categories go on sale for less than the "N" cabins. Book directly with RCL so you can just call them and get a price drop and/or swap your cabin. You can monitor one of the big online sites for cabin availability and swap within your category any time a better room pops up as available. I think I've changed my inside cabin at least once on each cruise before the sail date. You can take advantage of price drops up until final payment.

I just caught a price drop on the Freedom in Nov. and was able to get a lower price and a higher cabin category in a better location. I'm very happy.

At Cape Liberty you have to ride a shuttle bus across the tarmac to the ship - I timed it once at 90 seconds. The port isn't much to look at, but there are views of NY harbor and the boat traffic is interesting.

The only cabin on deck 7 is cabin #7242

Looks to be right next to the steps. The rest on deck 7 say obstructed view. Lots on deck 6.

These are actually for balcony cabins, they are pricing cheaper then inside!!!!

Are the deck 7 obstructed view cabins in the aft? What cabin numbers? These are the most sought after balcony cabins on the ship. The balconies are enormous, but it is a hike back there. I've been in 7388 and 7688 to Bermuda and would take those again in a heartbeat.

7242 is near the forward elevators. That would be a good location.

Once you are booked you can keep checking what available in your category. Final payment is soon, so cabins will free up. If you see something else in your category you can swap for it. Also watch for price drops - you can take advantage of them up until final payment.

Thanks so much. There was an aft balcony but to be honest looking at the water makes me seasick LOL. I hardly ever go on the balcony although this trip will be different as I am leaving the little ones home. Maybe I will use it this time.

We are doing to Bermuda Aug 11th

Thanks for the help!!

There are a whole bunch of hump cabins on deck 8 by the aft elevators. You would like those. 8620 or 8316. The cabins that end in 22 are right by the walkway to the elevators. All the other cabins are offset from that. If you don't go for the JS, grab one of these.

We have 3 going and those cabins only hold 2 and a crib :(

I don't see JS showing for that sailing. Hmmmmmm

Oh, I thought it was just you and your daughter. Yeah, no triple JS left. What about D1 1688. It's ~$500 more but it has a big balcony and people say it seems roomier than normal. google it.

Bonnie voyager says: "I don't have the square footage, but I can assure you the cabin's usable space is definitely larger than in a standard D1. The cabin is MUCH wider than a standard cabin (possibly twice as wide), but it is also shorter than a standard cabin so the overall square footage may not be significantly more. A standard D1 is long and narrow. You enter in a long hallway which has your closet on one side and the bathroom on the other. This hall area is mostly wasted space as far as usable space goes. With 1388/1688 you enter right into the cabin space and it is a huge square area with lots of room to walk around (even if the sofabed is opened). The bathroom is in one small corner of the square and the rest of the space is all usable. There is a wardrobe-type closet that is flat on the back wall beside the entryway."

Yeah- I thought you were two people as well. Both 7388 and 7688 are available for 3 people. Google the cabins on Bonnie Voyager. The E1's are slightly smaller than the D's, but the balconies on 7388 and 7688 are unbelievable - they are larger than the cabin itself with a 270 degree view - perfect for Bermuda. There is superstructure, so if you don't like looking at water, it's possible to not do that. Part of the ship is below you and there are beams - it's a very different view and feel than the side balconies - I bet you would really use this balcony.

I held a M&M gathering of 20+ people on the balcony and there was plenty of room for folks to stand around. I was on this balcony in Feb and it had two lounge chairs, 3 regular chairs, and a table and it wasn't crowded at all.

Thanks for being so helpful! Going to check out those cabins now.....

It was going to be me and my 16 year old but then my 28 year old wanted to come to make it a girls trip

I put the deposit down so now I need to cancel the Disney 5 night to Canada that I had booked. I really really love DCL but wanted a more tropical summer cruise.

Am excited!!!

Was sad to cancel our DCL for this but made so much sense.

We were sailing in an inside cabin 5 nights to Canada for the same price as the JS sailing to Bermuda.

Much better choice!

This is a surprise trip for my Sweet 16 and she is going to flip out.

Archived