Bluebeard's Castle

CruzinScotty

We'll be in St. Thomas for a day at the end of May on the Carnival Liberty.

We plan on getting a van for our group of 9 when we get off the boat. Most of the scheduled tours seems to dump you off at Bluebeard's Castle. I'm curious to see how much is really there with the gardens, amber museum, etc. How long should we plan? Is it worth it, or really just a tourist trap?

What about mobility? We'll have two family member in their 80's. Walking is fine; but with the heat, is this worth it?

Also, if it's a go - any good places for lunch - preferrably close to the beginning of the Castle since we'd probably eat before doing this tour.

I think you are talking about Blackbeard's Castle, at the top of the 99 Steps. If you have 9 people, you may be able to get a van and driver for the day. That way you could determine where you go.;)

Yep, that's the plan. Hire a driver for the day. I may be over-thinking things a bit in my anticipation. We're not looking for a long beach stop (maybe a photo-op stop ;)) or a lot of shopping - two things that are usually included in the regular island tours.

I was just trying to get info on Bluebeard's and other attractions on the island that might be of interest to give to the driver ideas instead of not being specific enough in what we want to do.

I think you are talking about Blackbeard's Castle, at the top of the 99 Steps..;)

FYI--here is a Blackbeard's Castle and a Bluebeard's Castle

THANK YOU! I feel so stupid. After looking at Google maps, and even reading OB2's post - I didn't realize they were two separate places! Good old eye's playing tricks reading black and blue as the same......

So, it's Blackbeard's Castle that is the tourist attraction and Bluebeard's is a hotel/resort. Finally - got it!

Now, just to decide if there's enough there for us to enjoy - at Blackbeard's. :)

We went up to Blackbeard's Castle a few years ago. It isn't really a castle, more like a light house you can go up. There are also some shops and I think a restaurant (we didn't eat there), an infinity pool you can swim in, some beautiful gardens and pirate statues, a few houses to tour, and the Amber Museum, which we enjoyed. The views are beautiful - we thought it was a nice way to spend a few hours, but not an entire day.

For anybody who likes history and antiques, Blackbeard's is a great tour for them. There are lots of steps, but there's opportunity to rest at various places on the property. You're mostly walking downhill, so for some that's easier, but for others it may not be.

The Amber Museum is also very interesting, IMO, because there are some beautiful creations, and it's something different to do.

The views are gorgeous, and you can swim in their pools. There's also a tiny rum factory and they used to give free samples of their delicious rum!

Thanks for the great info!

Lots of ideas to talk about when we get our group of 9 together on the ship. I don't think a few of them can handle the steps. But, after touring the island; one option would be for some to do Blackbeard's if the others return to the ship.

A couple of questions:

1. If we do split up at Blackbeard's - after we're done there; will we be in an area that will be somewhat easy to find a taxi back to the ship?

2. There have been a couple of mentions of swimming in the pools which sounds GREAT. :D Do they have changing rooms? I don't particularly want to wear my swimsuit for the entire island tour, and definitely don't want to wear a wet suit thru the rest of the Blackbeard tour.

Since Blackbeard's is in town (though not on Main St), it's very easy to get a cab back to your ship.

I've never noticed changing rooms, but I know there's at least one bathroom on the property. I'm trying to imagine where changing rooms would be. I'll see if I can find out.

Archived