Need help using Future Cruise Deposit made in Canadian Funds

luvcruisn'

I need to use up my Future Cruise Deposit made in Canadian funds. The problem is that the prices are so much better through using an on-line US discounter. I usually pay in US funds with my US credit card, and then get US dollars to pay the bill. The Canadian agency that I have previously used could not match the price I got for my last cruise using an on-line US TA. I spoke to a few people at HAL, and they said that the deposit cannot be changed into US funds, the whole cruise has to be paid for in Canadian dollars to use up the future cruise deposit and get the future cruise credit.

I have been told that I can book a cruise, cancel before final payment, and keep rolling over the deposit, so that it won't expire. At some point, though, I will have to use it, or lose the $100.00 paid.

Any suggestions?

I need to use up my Future Cruise Deposit made in Canadian funds. The problem is that the prices are so much better through using an on-line US discounter. I usually pay in US funds with my US credit card' date=' and then get US dollars to pay the bill. The Canadian agency that I have previously used could not match the price I got for my last cruise using an on-line US TA. I spoke to a few people at HAL, and they said that the deposit cannot be changed into US funds, the whole cruise has to be paid for in Canadian dollars to use up the future cruise deposit and get the future cruise credit.

I have been told that I can book a cruise, cancel before final payment, and keep rolling over the deposit, so that it won't expire. At some point, though, I will have to use it, or lose the $100.00 paid.

Any suggestions?[/quote']

Take a look at the HAL site - when I was looking at a couple of cruises some were cheaper than doing the US on line TA. It seems to depend on when they hedged the Canadian dollar - but in all honesty one we were looking at in November was as cheap as what my on line TA could do. And no exchange risk:D On the other hand my longer cruise is much cheaper with my TA in US $ - So, it really does seem to depend - but right now is a good time to be booking in Canadian dollars:D

I had the exact same problem - I booked a cruise through HA using my Cdn FCC and then found a better price if I used US FCC. So, I purchased 2 more credits on our last cruise - transferred the HA booking to a TA and now my Cdn FCC are "banked". It was the first FCC in Cdn$$$ - and the last. It was the CC on the HA ship that said we should buy in Cdn $$$.

I had the exact same problem - I booked a cruise through HA using my Cdn FCC and then found a better price if I used US FCC. So, I purchased 2 more credits on our last cruise - transferred the HA booking to a TA and now my Cdn FCC are "banked". It was the first FCC in Cdn$$$ - and the last. It was the CC on the HA ship that said we should buy in Cdn $$$.

Never trust those HAL Future cruise consultants:p

Never trust those HAL Future cruise consultants:p

I agree with that. The consultants may not be able to fully access your records when you are onboard. I recently purchased another US Cruise Deposit, as the consultant on board the Veendam said that he could only find my Canadian deposit. When I got home and called HAL, it turns out I still had one older US deposit as well as the one recently purchased. I wouldn't have purchased the second US deposit if I had known I still had one left. Obviously, I need to make sure how many deposits I have before I leave home.

I also spoke with a couple who had booked the cruise we were on, on a previous cruise onboard ship, and were told that the cruise ended in Fort Lauderdale, when it actually ended in New York, with a stop in Fort Lauderdale, where you could end the cruise if you wished. They were very upset - they were from England, and said they would have been happy to finish in New York, but now couldn't change their plans as their airfare was booked.

For our cruise in Feb.2013 HAL has cheaper pricing in CAD$ than US$. That doesn't happen very often and I don't know if other itineraries are priced in favour of the CAD$.

Hope you find a cruise so that you can use your CAD FCD.

Archived