overwhelmed with researching travel insurance....?s

We sail on June 30th on the Freedom. Were driving to Fll the day before and staying with family beforehand.

Looking on insure my trip dot com. So many options.

For trip cost...do I only consider cruise cost...or cost plus driving, excursions, etc.

Also, ia it best to look under "all plans" or package plans..its so much to consider and then so many options afterward!!

If able to say...what is the best (generally) plan? Ages 27 and 32.

Any other helpful hints?? Its overwhelming.

I'm in the same boat! I am adding in the cost of our flights, plus cruise. I'm not sure if that is what we are supposed to do, but I can only assume so....also, I notice alot of the 'cancel for any reason' type policies are only valid if you buy insurance within a very short period after payment on the cruise. Is this correct? I am very confused about it all!!! We want to have some medical insurance, but most important to us is cancellation for any reason i.e. we are not sailing with our kids, and would like the option to cancel if it is one of them that is sick or whatever. HELP!!!!

The Carnival Berkely Policy provides IMO low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions". The Policy DOES include cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning and Job Layoff, a 75% Cancel for Any Reason Future Cruise CREDIT and coverage for Early Saver Cancellation penalties . If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment and haven’t yet made a claim, the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. The Policy now covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is less expensive than the 3rd party policies if you're age is in the 70’s, as Age is not factored into Carnival Berkely’s premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Trip Insurance Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer higher coverages and are less expensive, particularly if you're younger. They generally include "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (which can expedite the claims process) if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise Deposit; CSA allows you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver. Otherwise, you can purchase Carnival Berkely Insurance up to 14 days before sailaway, and you can purchase most other policies practically up to sailaway. You MUST be physically fit to travel the day you purchase.

Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health and/or Homeowners Insurance , then the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to the limits of the policy). Primary Policies pay everything (up to limits of the Policy) without requiring you to first file and coordinate benefits with your personal policies, which can help expedite the claims process by avoiding “coordination of benefits” with your own Health Policy.

Cancel for Any Reason” coverage is usually offered as an option, usually for additional 50% of the premium. It’s important to read the associated Policy as many policies do not pay 100% and many policies pay LESS the later you cancel. Third Party Policies offering the Cancel for Any Reason option require that you purchase the Policy within 14-21 days of your cruise deposit. The Princess Berkely Policy and now the Carnival Berkely Policy include75% Cancel for Any Reason Future Cruise CREDIT.

You need to select a Policy at least somewhat based on your own situation/concerns (if traveling with kids, if prior medical conditions, if over age 70, if Military, if concerned about LayOff, if you’re concerned with possible school year extensions, if you’re a Policeman or firefighter….:

TravelEx and TravelInsured selected policies insure kids free with insured adults.

USAA offers their members discounted Travel-Insured Policies with some expanded coverages.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension and a Network of Providers in most locations.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed Cruise for Flight Delay.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

You can compare Policies and Premiums for your specific age, destination, dates and cruise costs, at the Insurer's sites or at sites such as http://www.insuremytrip.com and http://www.buyamericaninsurance.com . Note that some Policies also have a $6 or $8 application Fee added-on.

If you're not into Research, checkout CSA Freestyle, and TravelInsured Trip Protector and AIG TravelGuard Premier Protect.

FIRST check your personal Health Plan for out-of-country medical and MedEvac coverage, your Homeowners Insurance for Personal Property coverage, and your Credit Card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption, AD&D coverage, and Baggage Loss/Delay coverage and Rental Car CDW coverage!!!

ken

You should only include the dollar amount that at this point would be non refundable should you have to cancel. Any costs that could be canceled last minute such as hotels, excursions, driving expenses do not have to be insured.

A basic policy should be fine. I always use Travelex and I usually go to their website and use their "select" coverage. It is primary coverage and not expensive.

Many feel insurance is not necessary but I disagree. I've had to cancel last minute because a non-traveling family member took ill and I was compensated 100%. Again......a basic policy should be fine. Have never purchased "cancel for any reason" insurance. It is usually about 50% more costly. If a situation prevents you from going on your trip and it can be documented by a physician/hospital, you should be covered.

We sail on June 30th on the Freedom. Were driving to Fll the day before and staying with family beforehand.

For trip cost...do I only consider cruise cost...or cost plus driving, excursions, etc. You can insure non-refundable costs for CruiseFare (Govt Fees and Taxes and pre-paid gratuities are refunded directly from Carnival), non-refundable hotel deposits, airfare...

Also, ia it best to look under "all plans" or package plans..its so much to consider and then so many options afterward!!

Ken

Thank you.

Is 50,000 enough medical?

When it says must be purchased within 14 data of initial payment "mommy they are talking ab my deposit..right? Were way beyond that point. Our final payment was made on April 14.

IMO $25K or $50K is minimum for Medical coverage and $50K or $100K is minimum for Medical Evacuation.

If you're past your Cruise final payment, you can still buy Trip Insurance, but it generally won't include "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" and you generally can't get "Cancel for Any Reason" option.

ken

I am reading these replies with interest....particularly the Carnival insurance offered....If I read this correctly, the premiums quoted on Carnival website re:insurance, is for cruise only....? other policies on other sites you can include your airfare as well (I'm from Toronto, and the flight cost is sometimes as much as the cruise itself!)

I am reading these replies with interest....particularly the Carnival insurance offered....If I read this correctly, the premiums quoted on Carnival website re:insurance, is for cruise only....? other policies on other sites you can include your airfare as well (I'm from Toronto, and the flight cost is sometimes as much as the cruise itself!)

Yes.....the other policies allow you to include all non refundable costs including air......you input your "costs" to get the premium. Not sure which private insurance companies cover non-US residents.

For trip cost...do I only consider cruise cost...or cost plus driving, excursions, etc.

I used to work for one the travel insurance companies. Here are the rules and what I know from working in their claims department.

You only insure those things that are prepaid and non-refundable should you have to cancel at the last minute. Saying this, your driving expenses would not be covered and any taxes, tip and excursions pre-paid will be refunded by the cruise line so those don't need to be insured.

Your best bet, in most cases, is to go with the plan that has approx. $50,000 in medical expenses and $100,000 in emergency evacuation. For going on a cruise this is the best cost effective option. If you were travel on a European vacation I would say up those amounts but these are fine for a cruise.

You can purchase the insurance at any time prior to your trip, but if you do not buy it within a certain number of days following your first payment (deposit) of you trip then pre-existing conditions do not apply. For example, you father has a known heart condition and you need to cancel because he became ill due to this condition. The insurance would not cover this.

For the most part the extra options are not worth purchasing. It is just a way for the insurance companies to make some extra money. Unless you are doing some of sports or are concerned with medical expenses going over $50,000

I am just a little older than you and I purchased my insurance for my next trip insuring it for $2000 and I think I paid around $50 or $60. If you have any questions that I may be able to answer you can email me annasamir@aol.com. I would be more than happy to tell you what I know.

Go to travelinsurancestore dot com and get their phone number. I buy all my travel insurance from them and call them. They are never in a rush and will explain each policy's ups and downs and walk you thru the correct coverage. I have been using them since 2006 and they are wonderful.

You should insure with Travel Guard. They are easy to work with and pay their claims. I know from personal experience. The most important thing is to get a company that pays well when you have a claim. I usually purchase the Gold package.

How do they verify your booking information or is it all on the honor system? We were playing with it because we we're interested in purchasing it for the first time. We have cruised a few times without it and have been ok. However this time my father is very ill and not going to make it much longer and we are surprising my mother with a trip to get her "away" in February. How does the pr-Exsisting condition work? We booked last week so we are still within the 15 day window!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

We have elderly mothers so I bought the Carnvival insurance for our May cruise. I paid $65.00 per person.

On the Vacation Protection Plan it shows under description of coverages:

Part A trip cancellation for independently booked air is covered up to total original airfare cost.

How do they verify your booking information or is it all on the honor system? That I know of, they don't verify your costs, but it surfaces if you go to make a claim and it's more than you insured for, then you'll have a problem. We were playing with it because we we're interested in purchasing it for the first time. We have cruised a few times without it and have been ok. However this time my father is very ill and not going to make it much longer and we are surprising my mother with a trip to get her "away" in February. I'd look at a Policy that covers 150% for Trip Interruption so you have some leeway in expenses if you have to depart your cruise early. How does the pr-Exsisting condition work? Policies have a 60-180 day (depending on the Insurer) "look back window" preceding the Policy purchase date for pre-existing conditions - oversimplifying - if a condition initially surfaced/occurred during that window then the insurance won't reimburse. If you get "waiver of pre-existing conditions" by purchasing Policy w/in the 7-21 days (depending on insurer) then this isn't an issue/concern. We booked last week so we are still within the 15 day window! Get on it!!!!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

ken

You are driving, so no need to worry about anything except cruise cost and medical evacuation. If you think about it, if you have to miss the cruise you are not going to drive to FLL, and if you drive to FLL you are not going to miss the cruise, so really the only real issue is the evacuation.

we never buy he insurance, but i bought it forour april 14 cruise, my husband was ill in jan, and had stents put in (4). the insurance cost me $250.00. on friday the 13th( go figure) i got vertigo(dizzy) ended up in the hospital so no cruise. filled out all the paperwork and will get my cruise money refunded, plus the hotel reservation money. thank god i didn't need the medical coverage but ins't it ironic that the one time i buy insurance i really needed it.

First: I insure my trip for the amount that will cover any non-refundable things such as Early Saver deposits, airline tickets, Priceline reservations (car/hotel) and private shore excursions. The starting date for coverage is the day I walk out my front door and begin the vacation and the end date is the date I expect to be back at home.

Second: I compare 3 of the lowest priced packages on Insuremytrip.com. I have good medical/dental insurance BUT I consider things like air-evac coverage (I choose nothing less than $50,000 in med-evac coverage) since my private insurance would NOT cover such expenses, especially out of the country.

Third: When comparing package plans I opt for the one with the shortest amount of time that must elapse for things like delayed flights or lost/delayed luggage. Example: I would choose 5+ hour coverage over a 12+ hour coverage which holds true for dollar amounts i.e. $600 per day in reimbursement vs. $200 per day in reimbursement.

Fourth: I read the fine print under trip delay/interruption carefully and only choose a plan that will include weather related delays, such as Hurricanes, since those are most likely to personally cause me to miss my cruise.

I hope that helps a little.

Happy Sailing.

First: I insure my trip for the amount that will cover any non-refundable things such as Early Saver deposits, airline tickets, Priceline reservations (car/hotel) and private shore excursions. The starting date for coverage is the day I walk out my front door and begin the vacation and the end date is the date I expect to be back at home.

Second: I compare 3 of the lowest priced packages on Insuremytrip.com. I have good medical/dental insurance BUT I consider things like air-evac coverage (I choose nothing less than $50,000 in med-evac coverage) since my private insurance would NOT cover such expenses, especially out of the country.

Third: When comparing package plans I opt for the one with the shortest amount of time that must elapse for things like delayed flights or lost/delayed luggage. Example: I would choose 5+ hour coverage over a 12+ hour coverage which holds true for dollar amounts i.e. $200 per day in reimbursement vs. $600 per day in reimbursement.

Fourth: I read the fine print under trip delay/interruption carefully and only choose a plan that will include weather related delays, such as Hurricanes, since those are most likely to personally cause me to miss my cruise.

Fifth: Pay attention to the companies insurance rating. I only purchase plans from companies that have "A" or "A+" ratings, but would consider an "A-" rating but would research why they have that score.

I hope that helps a little.

Happy Sailing.

Archived