Corkage fee for a screw top?

mlzangel78

One of my favorite wines- relax Riesling has a crew cap instead of a cork... If I bring it to the

mDR would they still charge an uncorking fee since there's nothing to uncork ?

It's not the fact of the cork as to why they charge the fee. They lose revenue when you bring your own so they are trying to stem some of the lose with the fee. Regardless, some servers will charge you and others will not or just bring a glass of wine with you that you poured in the room and there is no fee.

I will often bring a bottle of wine, but I uncork it myself, pour it myself (when they let me, often it's swept out of my hands by our server) and I don't ask for them to "service" it at all, there never is any left because we share with tablemates, but if there were I'd simply carry it back to my room and put my vacuum saver on it and bring it the next night.

The one and only time I've been charged a corkage fee was last trip when I forgot my corkscrew and the assistant waiter opened it for me.

This was YTD, so that may have been the reason, most of the waitstaff do not charge you because they would rather make their own bucks at the end of the cruise for excellent service.

Carole

It's not the fact of the cork as to why they charge the fee. They lose revenue when you bring your own so they are trying to stem some of the lose with the fee. Regardless, some servers will charge you and others will not or just bring a glass of wine with you that you poured in the room and there is no fee.
It's up to your servers, I don't think most of them care of "lost revenue" to Carnival, they care more for their own tips.

I tip extra for my wait staff at the end of the cruise, I don't think I would if I were nickle and dimed to death.

JMO, Carole

Corkage, anywhere at any restaurant, is to cover the use/cleaning/breakages of glasses. This would normally be covered in the profit on the bottle they are selling you, no profit so they need to cover those costs.

Carnival is much better about this than RCL. .. hats off to Carnival, they win this one.

RCL we had three bottles delivered to the cabin.. would you believe they charged something like a $13.95 corkage fee the waiter would not waive!!!! .. for their own wine that had been delivered to the cabin instead of to the dining room. I am still pissed. Wouldnt happen again.

Carnival has lots of screw top wines they would be willing to sell you. ;)

I think the corkage fee is often ignored in the MDR - don't think we have ever been charged. I'm not so sure about the steakhouse. The one time we did bring a bottle of wine there we were charged the corkage fee.

I agree....I also like to open the wine in cabin, pour a glass for myself and friend and carry them in

You can get a wine glass at the bars , just ask...

or they do have those handy LARGER drinking glasses with a stem

already in the cabin and those work nicely too :):o

I heard NCL charges corkage as you enter the ship- not in the dining room!

Carnival won't charge it if you open it in your room, so just open it there, pour a glass and walk around the ship to wherever you wanted to drink it.

Thank you- we've always brought wine onboard and the glasses are usually set up in our cabin if not I ask the steward for them - just never brought it to the dining room- and didn't know of they'd consider screw caps "uncorking"

We bring wine to dinner all the time (an unopened bottle, which we always finish with dinner :D) and we have NEVER been charged a corkage fee. This past cruise, our waiter was very interested in the wines we brought, and we had him try a few of the better ones.

One of my favorite wines- relax Riesling has a crew cap instead of a cork... If I bring it to the

mDR would they still charge an uncorking fee since there's nothing to uncork ?

Either way a "screwing" is going on...

Archived