Temperatures in May

khenry

Last year the first week of June it was in the 50's - low 60's when in port and mid 40s when cruising. We sailed Vancouver to Seward. Most days were cloudy with a little drizzle. Near the glaciers it was colder.

at Denali it was low 70s.

Hope this helps.

How does wet and cool grab you?

From the National Weather Service:

HAVE TO KEEP CONSTANT MENTION OF RAIN IN THE FORECASTS AND SOMEWHAT COOL TEMPS. ALMOST NO CHANGES FROM THE PREVIOUS SHIFT. - JC

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?wmo=FXAK67PAJK&type=public

FEATURES TO CONSIDER FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS IS THE MAJOR UPPER

LOW CENTER OVER THE CHUKCHI SEA & ITS EXTENSION TO AN UPPER LOW

CENTER OVER THE CENTRAL GULF OF ALASKA. BOTH ARE COLD CORE WITH

WINTRY TEMPS & CONSEQUENTLY ARE NOT FAST MOVERS OR RAPIDLY WARMING.

ALL OPERATIONS MODELS & ENSEMBLES REVIEWED SLOWLY FILL THE GULF

UPPER CENTER OVER THE EASTERN GULF THEN FINALLY AS A TROUGH OVER

THE PANHANDLE WED NIGHT. AT THIS POINT THE MAJOR UPPER LOW DIGS THE

EASTERN BERING SEA INTO NEXT WEEKEND WHICH SETS UP A REALLY MOIST

FLOW ALOFT OVER SE ALASKA. CONFIDENCE MODERATE ON THIS SCENARIO.

HAVE TO KEEP CONSTANT MENTION OF RAIN IN THE FORECASTS AND SOMEWHAT

COOL TEMPS. ALMOST NO CHANGES FROM THE PREVIOUS SHIFT. - JC

it might be 75 and sunny and you wear shorts, or, it might be 60, cold and raining and you wear a jacket. It might even be both! That's why the key is always to dress in layers. (And carry a day pack so you have somewhere to store the layers when you peel them off if the day warms up.) Just look over the last few pages and you'll find threads about what to pack.

I love 50s and 60s. That's my favorite temps. Hoping that's what it is while we are there the first week of June. Anything warmer than 70 is toooo hot. :)

I agree with the temps as Im from SF but you live in the Woodlands I think it gets a little hotter than 70:D;)

I agree with the temps as Im from SF but you live in the Woodlands I think it gets a little hotter than 70:D;)

Yes, and I hate the temps here. I'm a transplant from the mountains of northeastern Tennessee where if it gets higher than 85 degrees it's considered a heat wave. Plus, the night time temps there are the 50s and 60s even in the middle of the summer. Here the night time temps are near 80 degrees. I do not like heat. I am really hoping the temps are cool to cold the first week of June in Alaska. We were in SF a few years ago the end of May and it was sunny (I know - unusual) and the temps were mid-60s . It felt great although the wind did make it feel chillier.

Yes, and I hate the temps here. I'm a transplant from the mountains of northeastern Tennessee where if it gets higher than 85 degrees it's considered a heat wave. Plus, the night time temps there are the 50s and 60s even in the middle of the summer. Here the night time temps are near 80 degrees. I do not like heat. I am really hoping the temps are cool to cold the first week of June in Alaska. We were in SF a few years ago the end of May and it was sunny (I know - unusual) and the temps were mid-60s . It felt great although the wind did make it feel chillier.

I commute between the 2. I so miss the coolin evening temps in SF.There is something wrong with 85 @ 2am:eek:

What ever the temps are in Alaska we both know it will feel so good compared to Houston;)

To the OP..... my upcoming cruise has a low of 35 to a high of 65 with a chance of rain almost everyday

What we experienced last year doesn't automatically translate into your experience this year. But we sailed May 22 last year. Glacier Bay was cool & drizzly, then it dried out to just overcast at Marjerie Glacier. Juneau started out overcast, but by late morning the clouds were burning off, and by the afternoon, it was sunny & 75. Sitka was overcast, with some drizzle, and the next day in Ketchikan it started with a drizzle, which turned to rain by noon.

Be prepared for any weather - on top of Mt. Roberts we even got to walk in the snow!

Last time we were up there was in May 2010 and it was cool in the morning and evening, but during the day it was beautiful and warm in the sun. We were walking around Juneau in T-shirts (75deg). It would be best to take layers because it changes daily if not hourly sometimes.

Accuweather has a 25 day forecast available, also has historical averages for each day of a month if you are looking further out than that.

Thanks for posting that...... I didnt know about them and the 25 day outlooks

snow? OMG...it rained here a bit yesterday, but my thermometer says 32 right now and it sure is cloudy out there....My dogs think it is way to hot....they are leaving for the glacier this Sat to do tours for the seasons at one of the Glacier operations....I will miss them...6 of them in the house last night...:) Anyway, AKman...hope that snow forecast for snow is wrong...My driveway in=s not yet totally clear and I have to put the camper on the truck today....:) Getting ready to go to the Deska before my cruise....Bonnie

We went last year in May and we had NO RAIN at all...we were so lucky. Weather was perfect. Range between 50-70's. Cooler on deck out on the moving ship, sweatshirt/coat weather but warmer when we were in Skagway and Ketchikan. Loved that time of year and going next year same time.

I dont think anyone can predict what the weather will be and everyday is different. Go with layers and you will be fine. Have a great time in beautiful Alaska!!

snow? OMG...it rained here a bit yesterday, but my thermometer says 32 right now and it sure is cloudy out there....My dogs think it is way to hot....they are leaving for the glacier this Sat to do tours for the seasons at one of the Glacier operations....I will miss them...6 of them in the house last night...:) Anyway, AKman...hope that snow forecast for snow is wrong...My driveway in=s not yet totally clear and I have to put the camper on the truck today....:) Getting ready to go to the Deska before my cruise....Bonnie

Actually, for Anchorage and Fairbanks, they are looking at some flakes but no real accumulation-ifit does come down it will be more depressing than anything else. For Bethel and that area though, they are talking 3 inches.......

The thermometer outside my window says it's 47, but with the wind, it sure doesn't feel 47!

Met with a guy from Fairbanks yesterday. He had some good news and some bad news. The good news is that it was 20 degrees in Fairbanks yesterday and all the mosquitos that had come out early were dead. The bad news is that plenty of new ones would be back by next week. FWIW......

check this out http://www.ktuu.com/weather/ktuu-channel-2-weather-cold-snow-prolong-a-wild-alaskan-winter-20120502,0,773196.story

Better today here....Low temp was 35.....My pansies think they are in Hawaii....:) Maybe that is where I should be instead of getting my dogs ready to go to the glacier this weekend...so they can do glacier tours for their summer vacation....:)

Saw on the news the first cruise ship has docked in Juneau today. Our weather lady up here said they were greeted with sun and "mild temps". The high was 49 degrees-about as mild as it gets right now.....

Saw on the news the first cruise ship has docked in Juneau today. Our weather lady up here said they were greeted with sun and "mild temps". The high was 49 degrees-about as mild as it gets right now.....

I'm hoping for 50s and 60s when we are there the first of June. Those are great temps but of course I would prefer clear skies and no rain.:D

Great minus tide on Sunday..going clamming....weather forecast.....RAIN...had some snow coming home from work today....around the S turns in Eagle River...:( didn't stick but hurried home and took the plants off the porch....:(

Archived