Rome in a Day!

klugh

I am planning to do Rome in a day! I'm really not into Museums, Just want to see the highlights. I am taking the train from Civitavecchia and I would like to see Vatican and the Coliseum. So my question is what I should see first because of the crowds of people?

We booked a skip the lines guided tour for the Vatican through Viator starting at 10AM thru the museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's. Then we plan on taking a taxi to the Colosseum and probably spend about an hour there. We booked and printed our tickets online. http://www.ticketclic.it/gb/html/musei/colosseo.cfm

Then we will walk to the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps until its time to catch the train back to the ship around 4ish.

I shoot for the next-to-the-last train that will get me there in time for all aboard (not sail away); if that time is 6:30 PM, there are trains that arrive in Civitavecchia on weekdays at:

• 6:30 (departs Rome Termini at 5:12) this is my fallback option if something goes wrong
  • 6:05 (departs Rome Termini at 4:58)
  • 6:00 (departs Rome Termini at 4:42)
  • 5:11 (departs Rome Termini at 4:12)
  • 5:01 (departs Rome Termini at 3:45)

Personally, I would shoot for the 4:42 or 4:58, catching it at whichever train station in Rome was most convenient to my last stop of the day.

If you're visiting on a Wednesday check to see whether the Pope is having an audience that day. If he is, then you'll have no choice but to do the Vatican in the afternoon.

In planning our day in Rome, which happens to fall on a Wednesday, we noted the Papal Audience is held from 10:30 to noon and St. Peter's Basilica is closed during that time. However, the Vatican Museum is open on a Wed. a.m. and you can check the Calendar 2012 of the Vatican Museums on the Vatican website http://www.vatican.va for specific open days and hours throughout the year.

We did the Vatican and museums around 6-7 years ago and are going back, however, mainly wanted to do St Peters and not the museums. We are considering though due to the line.

How long is the normal tour for the museum portion?

I think the guided Vatican Tour lasts approx. 2 hours. We also booked a Scavi Tour which is a visit to the Necropolis and the tomb of St. Peter located beneath St. Peter's Basilica. You can read up and/or contact the Scavi Tour to request tickets many months in advance again at the The Holy See site (Vatican.VA) and Scavi tour. We are scheduled for a 1:45-3 p.m. tour on Oct. 10 and cost 50Euros for 4 adults. The tour consists of only 12 people in a group. We're looking forward to this tour a lot. Might be something you'd be interested in as well.

i presume from your post that you are not intending to visit the Vatican museums - in that case I would get off at Ostiense and ride to Colosseum. If there is a queue, head down to the Palatine Hill entrance and skip the queue. The Colosseum ticket is actually a combined Palatine, Forum, Colosseum ticket. Head back and do the Colosseum (and Forum/Palatine), grab a lunch and head off to St Peter's Basilica for the afternoon. Quite fast moving queues but no entrance fee. We got a great "tips only" free walking tour by a Vatican student, last time we were there. You could then plan to use the San Pietro train station back to Civitavecchia.

We took the train from the ship terminal and got off at the St. Peter's stop. Went right to the Chapel line as it was short because the Pope was going to be there. Wait was only about a half hour. Upon exiting we went into the square where the Pope was still speaking. Then hopped on the Hop on Hop Off bus just across the street from the square. This took us around showing highlights. You can then judge your time for getting off and back on. Get off for the last time back at St. Peter's Square to catch the train back to the ship. We took the 4 o'clock train,but think the ship was leaving at 6. A couple of years later we went back and spent 3 days. Great city

We have decided on a schedule of going to St Peters Basilica first, not the museum and then walking to Piazzo Navona, having an early lunch.

Then we would like to go to the Colosseum, but not particularly tour as we did a few year ago. Then go to the church with the Moses Statute.

Can we get a bus from Piazzo Navona to the Colosseum easily where we can use our BIRG pass? Where would we find the bus stop.

Then from the Colosseum we would like to go to the Pantheon again by bus. Where would we find the bus stop? (Then we can walk to Trivi Fountain and up to the Spanish Steps. Hopefully, take our time a little.

Then we would like to get the Metro back to the Main Train Station to head back to the ship. What is the easiest way to get to the Metro from the Spanish Steps?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I have been searching maps and know I'm just missing the answers. If anyone has their notes from before, can you help?? So much appreciated!!

We have decided on a schedule of going to St Peters Basilica first, not the museum and then walking to Piazzo Navona, having an early lunch.

Then we would like to go to the Colosseum, but not particularly tour as we did a few year ago. Then go to the church with the Moses Statute.

Can we get a bus from Piazzo Navona to the Colosseum easily where we can use our BIRG pass? Where would we find the bus stop.

Then from the Colosseum we would like to go to the Pantheon again by bus. Where would we find the bus stop? (Then we can walk to Trivi Fountain and up to the Spanish Steps. Hopefully, take our time a little.

Then we would like to get the Metro back to the Main Train Station to head back to the ship. What is the easiest way to get to the Metro from the Spanish Steps?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I have been searching maps and know I'm just missing the answers. If anyone has their notes from before, can you help?? So much appreciated!!

Your sites are kind of out of logical order. Is there a reason you want to do them like this?

To do some small tinkering, I'd suggest the Pantheon after Piazza Navona (lunch). I can't help with bus numbers (don't really use them much), but there is a big transportation hub at Largo Argentina, not far from either the Pantheon or Piazza Navona. Alternatively, you could get a taxi at the Pantheon and for less than 10 euros you'll be at the Colosseum quickly. Or you can just walk. I always feel like for the time I would've spent waiting for the bus, I could probably walk there just as fast.

However, it really makes most sense to do St Peters, then (in a line) Piazza Navona, then Pantheon, then Trevi. Skip the Spanish Steps and walk to the Colosseum. See it, hop on the metro (just across the street) going in the direction of Laurentina, and get off two stops later at Pyramide. From here, walk across to the train station (Ostiense) and get on the train headed back to Civitavecchia.

If you want to stick with your original plan, the metro stop of "Spagna" is right AT the Spanish steps. (Entrance to the left if you are facing the staircase.) It's two stops to Termini where you catch the train back.

Pantheon is only a couple blocks from Piazza Navona, I would see the pantheon right after lunch then head to the colliseum. Take a taxi to the colliseum if your rushed for time.

Thanks for the suggestions.... I'm rethinking the order. It seems I should leave the Colliseum for last, but I love the Trivi Fountan area and thought if I leave it close to the end , if we had any extra time, we could spend it there. :). I love these suggestions!!!

Thanks for the suggestions.... I'm rethinking the order. It seems I should leave the Colliseum for last, but I love the Trivi Fountan area and thought if I leave it close to the end , if we had any extra time, we could spend it there. :). I love these suggestions!!!

If you want to do Trevi (not Trivi) last, then you could consider this:

Get off the train at Ostiense, take metro to Colosseum; then taxi to Vatican and see St Peters, walk to Piazza Navona then Pantheon then Trevi, then Spanish Steps and get metro to Termini as I mentioned above.

Advantage to this is that getting train from Termini you are at the point of origin so it will be less crowded (e.g., more assured that you'll get on).

Disadvantage is that the line for St. Peter's will probably be somewhat longer.

So if we do St Peters, Piazza Navonna, Pantheon, Trivi still fit in the Spanish Stairs, then we can catch Metro there down to Colliseum, then after Colliseum catch Metro back up to the train station. If time we could walk part of the way to where the Victor Emmanuel monument is and then catch the Metro. It looks like there may be one close. Any directions to where it is? Does this sound like a better plan?

So if we do St Peters, Piazza Navonna, Pantheon, Trivi still fit in the Spanish Stairs, then we can catch Metro there down to Colliseum, then after Colliseum catch Metro back up to the train station. If time we could walk part of the way to where the Victor Emmanuel monument is and then catch the Metro. It looks like there may be one close. Any directions to where it is? Does this sound like a better plan?

I don't understand why you would backtrack to Termini after being at the Colosseum rather than just taking the metro to Pyramide & getting the train at Ostiense? Are you so worried about crowding?

There is not a metro station near the Victor Emmanuel monument.

I didn't realize there was a train station closer. Can you get a train from Ostiense back to Civitavecchia? Does the train at Ostiense go back up to the Termini (as I kind of assumed everything originated from there)? I assumed there was only one line going to Chivitavecchia and everyone's directions seem to be a straight line to either get on/off at St Peters or Termini. The Ostiense seems to not be in the direct line.

Most all regional and Inter-City trains from Civitavecchia to Rome make several stops at stations that are in Rome on their way to Termini (which is the end of the line for most).

Ostiense is one of those stops. Especially if you want to do the Colosseum first, it makes a lot of sense to get off the train in Ostiense, transfer to the metro (the stop is called Pyramide, as I said) and go to the Colosseum. You will save quite a bit of time doing this versus waiting for the train to make 2 additional stops before ending up at Termini.

Same with your return. The train starts at Termini and will make stops at San Pietro and Trastevere stations before getting to Ostiense. You can catch the train there to return to Civitavecchia.

So if we left from the Termini station going back to Civitavecchia, it would stop at San Pietro, Trastevere and the Ostiense? How many stops does it do back to Civitavecchia?

Does it seems likely if we left Ostiense around 3:30 to 4 that we would have a harder time getting seats since it is the third stop?

I found a map!!!! :). I see that from the main station, Ostiense is the 2nd stop, so the train shouldn't be full. Awesome!! Now all I need to find via a train schedule for departure times from Ostiense. Where can I find a schedule?

Yes, sorry if I was confusing you before (I was confused myself, apparently). Ostiense is the 2nd stop AFTER Termini when you're heading back to Civitavecchia. It's likely that you will be able to get on the train. However, there's also a likelihood that you may have to stand, at least for a few stops (the train will start emptying out after it leaves Rome).

Train schedules are at Trenitalia.com There is an English option. Your starting point is Roma Ostiense and ending point is Civitavecchia (it may list several options, but "Civitavecchia" plain and simple is what you want). Be sure to adjust the date (day/month/year) and time (24 hour clock).

Archived