Booking on Board

You can buy one certificate with your name and one certificate with your daughter's name and use the certificates for the two staterooms in Dec.

Thanks.. I wasn't sure if I could purchase one in her name because of her age.

Thanks.. I wasn't sure if I could purchase one in her name because of her age.

Also, if you know the cruise you will be taking in December, you can just book it, and not deal with the certificates. You'll get the same OBC and have the same reduced deposit.

Also, if you know the cruise you will be taking in December, you can just book it, and not deal with the certificates. You'll get the same OBC and have the same reduced deposit.

I will probably do that if my SIL is certain she will be sailing on the Dec cruise by the time we board in April. Otherwise, I may need to put another name on that sailing and I would hate to have to alter the booking after everything was already completed.

I will probably do that if my SIL is certain she will be sailing on the Dec cruise by the time we board in April. Otherwise, I may need to put another name on that sailing and I would hate to have to alter the booking after everything was already completed.

I have to respectably disagree here. By booking on BOard you are booking direct with RCI and, while you will probabnly get the same rate as using a travel agent, you will not get any extra OBCs or even prepaid gratuities. RCI even tells you when you call them - Weencourage passengers to use travel agents. So, IMHO, it's best to get an OPEN future booking with NO agent listed. You can do that IF you adk and then shop with online agents or even use ************* and see what is being offered. Remember that nearly all OBCs are really CASH. AND you'll get the $100-$200 OBC from RCI just for leaving the open deposit while on the ship.

Steve

I have to respectably disagree here. By booking on BOard you are booking direct with RCI and, while you will probabnly get the same rate as using a travel agent, you will not get any extra OBCs or even prepaid gratuities. RCI even tells you when you call them - Weencourage passengers to use travel agents. So, IMHO, it's best to get an OPEN future booking with NO agent listed. You can do that IF you adk and then shop with online agents or even use ************* and see what is being offered. Remember that nearly all OBCs are really CASH. AND you'll get the $100-$200 OBC from RCI just for leaving the open deposit while on the ship.

Steve

I agree with what you are saying, but want to add a couple of points to clarify the direct/TA assignment for those who might be confused.

When you book a specific cruise on board, you have the option to book it direct with Royal, or assign it to the travel agent of your choice. The same applies to purchasing a Next Cruise Certificate, it can be direct or assigned to an agent.

The main difference is that when you book a specific cruise direct, you have 60 days from that point to transfer the booking to a travel agent. When you purchase an NCC direct, the 60 day timer does not start until you first assign the NCC to a specific cruise.

We just booked two while on the Adventure. The big advantage for us was the $100.00 per person deposit.

As far as I know you can use the same benefit, in a hold pattern unroll you decide for a long time. Someone mentioned up to ten years.

It also changed our C+A status too.

I am missing something here, how does purchasing a future cruise certificate change your C&A status? I thought it only changed when you had actually cruised

I am missing something here, how does purchasing a future cruise certificate change your C&A status? I thought it only changed when you had actually cruised

Unless one is not yet a C&A member, then purchasing an NCC does not change your C&A status. I say that only because the Loyalty Ambassador will let you join C&A on board a cruise if you are willing to book a cruise.

Edited by clarea

Unless one is not yet a C&A member, then purchasing an NCC does not change your C&A status. I say that only because the Loyalty Ambassador will let you join C&A on board a cruise if you are willing to book a cruise.

Thanks Bob, makes perfect sense as always!!

I agree with what you are saying, but want to add a couple of points to clarify the direct/TA assignment for those who might be confused.

When you book a specific cruise on board, you have the option to book it direct with Royal, or assign it to the travel agent of your choice. The same applies to purchasing a Next Cruise Certificate, it can be direct or assigned to an agent.

The main difference is that when you book a specific cruise direct, you have 60 days from that point to transfer the booking to a travel agent. When you purchase an NCC direct, the 60 day timer does not start until you first assign the NCC to a specific cruise.

And THAT was my point Bob. If you book direct with Royal you can transfer to an agent but most agents will only give you bonus OBCs for NEW booking with them. So, I can't see any reason to book a specific cruise on board. If you are l;ooking to confirm a cabin, you can do that with any online agent within days of getting off the RCI ship. But, I guess I just like to get the most for my money and "shopping" always pays off for us.:)

S

• 1 month later...

We were on the Explorer in March. I filled out an application for the deposit while on the ship.

I put both names on the form and expected that they would charge us a total of $200. Instead, they charged only $100.

I tried to make a reservation for a cruise in October this year and had to call RCI for confirmation of the OBC.

According to the rep at RCI, the program has changed as far as the amounts for the OBC. When I filled out the form on board the OBC levels were:

<> $100 for cruises that were 7-9 days

<> $150 for cruises over 9 days

I was told today that the amounts have changed and that I will only recieve $50 OBC for the 9-day cruise. According to the rep, this change took place on 3/15/14 (while we were on the cruise) I filled out my application on 3/20, the 2nd to last day of our cruise. At that time the higher rates were quoted.

After raising the roof on the phone and talking to a Supervisor, they did honor the $100 rate for the OBC.

Question: has anyone else heard of this change?????

We were on the Explorer in March. I filled out an application for the deposit while on the ship.

I put both names on the form and expected that they would charge us a total of $200. Instead, they charged only $100.

I tried to make a reservation for a cruise in October this year and had to call RCI for confirmation of the OBC.

According to the rep at RCI, the program has changed as far as the amounts for the OBC. When I filled out the form on board the OBC levels were:

I was told today that the amounts have changed and that I will only recieve $50 OBC for the 9-day cruise. According to the rep, this change took place on 3/15/14 (while we were on the cruise) I filled out my application on 3/20, the 2nd to last day of our cruise. At that time the higher rates were quoted.

After raising the roof on the phone and talking to a Supervisor, they did honor the $100 rate for the OBC.

Here is the new OBC structure when booking on board:

Effective March 15, 2014, the new OBC amounts when creating an Open Booking on board (formerly known as a NextCruise booking). OBC is per cabin.

Length of

Cruise

5-7 days ........... $25

8-10 days ......... $50

11-14 days........ $75

15 + days...........$100

Effective March 15, 2014, the new OBC amounts when booking a Next Cruise on board (formerly known as a Future Cruise booking).OBC is per cabin.

Length of

Cruise ............... Interior.............. Oceanview.............. Balcony .............. Suite*

5-7 days .............. $25 ..................... $50 ...................... $100 ................. $200

8-10 days ............ $50..................... $100...................... $150.................. $250

11-14 days........... $75 .................... $150 .................... $200...................$300

15 + days ........... $100.................... $200...................... $300...................$400

*Includes JS cabins and above

Prior to March 15, 2014, the OBC from booking any type of cruise on board was

OBC From Booking On Board

$25 for sailings of 3-5 nights

$100 for sailings of 6-9 nights

$150 for sailings of 10-14 nights

$200 for sailings of 15+ nights

Edited by cruisenfever

There have been several threads about this reduction of OBC. The new rates are actually listed when you log in to your C&A account.

Get ready on April 15 they are also making changes to the Savings Certificates program.

Two questions: If you book a " future cruise" now you would not be able to go out beyond say a year (maybe 2) since they wouldn't have announced destinations yet) right? And honestly giving them $100 for open booking and only getting $50 (or even $75 PER CABIN) is no bargain IMHO.

We bought three open cruise certs in January. I'm assuming the change is not retroactive, right? Ours are still worth $100 per cabin OBC, right?

Steve

Two questions: If you book a " future cruise" now you would not be able to go out beyond say a year (maybe 2) since they wouldn't have announced destinations yet) right? And honestly giving them $100 for open booking and only getting $50 (or even $75 PER CABIN) is no bargain IMHO.

We bought three open cruise certs in January. I'm assuming the change is not retroactive, right? Ours are still worth $100 per cabin OBC, right?

Steve

Yes your NCC's that you purchased in January will be honoured at the old OBC rate.

Booking a cruise on board for a specific date is something that I would not end up doing as I book as soon as the itineraries are released.

I will still buy the Next Cruise on board as it is still a significant amount of savings in the deposit amount that I am required to put down especially when I have a couple cruises booked 2 years in advance.

Great info in this thread! Thank you to everyone for your contributions!

It is interesting to see the differences in the onboard booking programs from one cruise line to the next. We are currently in the process of booking our first cruise on Royal. I am sure it will not be our last, so I want to be prepared. :D