Photo question

beachnut41955

The release specifies non-commercial use. It's basically instructions to the repro center as to what it can and cannot be used for, so therefore doesn't need to be picture specific.

How on earth can a repro center control what a picture is going to be used for once printed? This sounds like a legal document that really can control absolutely nothing unless the individual is actually caught using the photo to make a profit, so why bother?

By requiring you have the document, Princess has determined that YOU understand the rules before going to a repro center and thus do not have the admittedly weak defense of 'I didn't know I couldn't do that..'

There's other issues involved too of a more technical nature regarding the implications of failing to enforce copyright and insurance the repro centers carry.

How on earth can a repro center control what a picture is going to be used for once printed? This sounds like a legal document that really can control absolutely nothing unless the individual is actually caught using the photo to make a profit, so why bother?

By requiring you have the document, Princess has determined that YOU understand the rules before going to a repro center and thus do not have the admittedly weak defense of 'I didn't know I couldn't do that..'

There's other issues involved too of a more technical nature regarding the implications of failing to enforce copyright and insurance the repro centers carry.

Makes sense.

Contact someone from your roll call & see if they burn you a copy of the DVD and share the expense. The only one I've ever seen wasn't worth the money to us since we weren't in a lot of scenes. There are lots of generic shots, some not even from your trip.

It can't be done. I purchased the DVD and tried to burn it but didn't work as it is protected from being copied.

It is possible to copy the DVD however - you do need to use the correct software to get round the protection. Using simple copy programs don't work.

I have been able to copy the parts that I wanted to include with material I have shot.

It is possible to copy the DVD however - you do need to use the correct software to get round the protection. Using simple copy programs don't work.

I have been able to copy the parts that I wanted to include with material I have shot.

And as you found out much of the material is just canned stuff they insert on every DVD they sell. I realize they can't tailor the DVD to each individual but they could at least limit it to that particular trip.

These copyright laws were written long before Facebook was even an idea. My FB account is private and you have to be a friend to view my page. I don't see any difference between someone viewing my cruise photos displayed in my home or on my Facebook page. I don't understand the point of holding onto a release letter if anyone can just post it on a forum for all to use. I can understand having to present it to a photo lab if you want copies made. The retailers will profit from the cost you pay them to reproduce the pictures. I honestly think that the next generation won’t even bother to print pictures. I know I have stopped. There is no place to store them and it is so much nicer to view them on a large screen. I use my photos as a screen saver on the computer so all through the year I am viewing them randomly as opposed to the ones I have stored away in a box which are never seen.

Archived