Photo question

beachnut41955

I know I have seen this answer before, but I can't seem to find it. I just returned for the 10 Day Southern Caribbean Medley April 16-26 on the Emerald Princess. Wow, what a wonderful cruise and a wonderful meet and greet of the Cruise Critic board folks. It has been so hard to get back to work this week. My question is this....

I purchased some of the pictures taken on the ship during the cruise. If I wanted to scan a couple and post them on my Facebook page I am sure I would need to get permission to do so. How do I do that? Also, I was so on the fence about the Reflections DVD of the cruise. I didn't get it, but if I decided I just have to have it is there a way to get it post cruise, or are you just out of luck for not doing it on the cruise? For any of you who may have purchased one before - is it worth the $39 charge?

Thanks for your answers. Again, to all you cruise critic foks I met on ship - it was SO good to meet you!!!! I can't wait for my next Princess cruise.

Shirley

I was wondersing the same thing.

On Royal Caribbean you can go on line and get a release form to make copies of the pics you buy on the ship.

hopefully Princess has the same thing.:confused:

We requested the clearance on ship for one photo and got it from the photo desk. I dont think you can order the DVD after..

I know I have seen this answer before, but I can't seem to find it. I just returned for the 10 Day Southern Caribbean Medley April 16-26 on the Emerald Princess. Wow, what a wonderful cruise and a wonderful meet and greet of the Cruise Critic board folks. It has been so hard to get back to work this week. My question is this....

I purchased some of the pictures taken on the ship during the cruise. If I wanted to scan a couple and post them on my Facebook page I am sure I would need to get permission to do so. How do I do that? Also, I was so on the fence about the Reflections DVD of the cruise. I didn't get it, but if I decided I just have to have it is there a way to get it post cruise, or are you just out of luck for not doing it on the cruise? For any of you who may have purchased one before - is it worth the $39 charge?

Thanks for your answers. Again, to all you cruise critic foks I met on ship - it was SO good to meet you!!!! I can't wait for my next Princess cruise.

Shirley

Contact someone from your roll call & see if they burn you a copy of the DVD and share the expense. The only one I've ever seen wasn't worth the money to us since we weren't in a lot of scenes. There are lots of generic shots, some not even from your trip.

I just scan mine on my printer/fax/ scanner at home and post them. I didn't ask permission. I have done this with my wedding pictures and my son's graduation pictures as well. With that said if you want to make copies at a photo kiosk they won't do it without permission.

Contact someone from your roll call & see if they burn you a copy of the DVD and share the expense. The only one I've ever seen wasn't worth the money to us since we weren't in a lot of scenes. There are lots of generic shots, some not even from your trip.

It can't be done. I purchased the DVD and tried to burn it but didn't work as it is protected from being copied.

Call the Princess main number and tell them you would like a copyright release for purchased photos. They will gladly email it to you.

The DVD is about the same value as the photos; overpriced but nice if you like the way your picture(video) turned out. They are not available after the cruise.

Uh oh, I've posted scanned professional pictures from cruises onto Facebook too in the past without the form. :confused:

I thought you only needed to sign the release if you were going to take the photo to get copies (at CVS, Target/Walmart, etc.) for family & friends since you're making physical extra copies. :o

Without the release, copying the photos in ANY form other than for a backup for personal use is not permitted under law. Is Princess going to come hunt you down? Probably not.

Even with the release, use by or for any for-profit endeavor is not allowed.

Princess is more liberal than most on this. Many companies charge for the release.

Without the release, copying the photos in ANY form other than for a backup for personal use is not permitted under law. Is Princess going to come hunt you down? Probably not.

Even with the release, use by or for any for-profit endeavor is not allowed.

Princess is more liberal than most on this. Many companies charge for the release.

Exactly right. A photopgrapher (whether individual or a company) by law, retains all rights to any pictures they take. What you pay for is a "print", not the picture, there is a distinct difference. Think about purchasing a nice Ansel Adams to hang on the wall in your house, you don't gain the right to reproduce it and hang it at your office as well. The fact that you aren't profiting make absolutely no difference, you have to buy another "print" for your office. The fact that you happen to be in the picture does not change the rights of the photographer or the purchaser of the "print".

That being said, with the prices of the prints on board being so high, I believe they should come with all rights released...just my opinion.

Uh oh, I've posted scanned professional pictures from cruises onto Facebook too in the past without the form. :confused:

I thought you only needed to sign the release if you were going to take the photo to get copies (at CVS, Target/Walmart, etc.) for family & friends since you're making physical extra copies. :o

Oh NO....and you live in Santa Clarita I hear them coming for you now...;)

Exactly right. A photopgrapher (whether individual or a company) by law, retains all rights to any pictures they take. What you pay for is a "print", not the picture, there is a distinct difference. Think about purchasing a nice Ansel Adams to hang on the wall in your house, you don't gain the right to reproduce it and hang it at your office as well. The fact that you aren't profiting make absolutely no difference, you have to buy another "print" for your office. The fact that you happen to be in the picture does not change the rights of the photographer or the purchaser of the "print".

That being said, with the prices of the prints on board being so high, I believe they should come with all rights released...just my opinion.

They do... you just have to ask.

Well one thing I can say is at least I purchased my photos. I have seen passengers taking pictures of the pictures using their own camera or Smartphone. What better way to receive free marketing than to have someone post their pictures on Facebook, especially the photos that have the name of the ship on the bottom. In the long run it’s probably best for Princess to look the other way. I have received many compliments and inquires as to where and who took the picture.

And they usually will unless you start selling copies.

Well one thing I can say is at least I purchased my photos. I have seen passengers taking pictures of the pictures using their own camera or Smartphone. What better way to receive free marketing than to have someone post their pictures on Facebook, especially the photos that have the name of the ship on the bottom. In the long run it’s probably best for Princess to look the other way. I have received many compliments and inquires as to where and who took the picture.

I suppose it must depend on your area if they'll question it or not. They have a notice where I live but if you scan the original photo no one will ask if you have a release or not. I've made 5x7 copies from the original but some of the original will be lost since their aspect ratio is different.

Well one thing I can say is at least I purchased my photos. I have seen passengers taking pictures of the pictures using their own camera or Smartphone. .

Having been a theme park photographer at Universal Studios in the past -- this was always a pet peeve of mine. ;)

I use my Facebook photo album as a backup storage utility. :o

I wish I would have backed up all my professional photos to my computer. Most of them are packed away somewhere and I have no idea where that somewhere is. I hope someday they will turn up.

From what I understand is that once you get a copy of the release it can be applied to any Princess Photo. If I can print a copy any time I need it & hand it to the reproduction guy, what good does it actually do to protect the rights of the photographer? It's not like it's associated to any one individual photo.

The release specifies non-commercial use. It's basically instructions to the repro center as to what it can and cannot be used for, so therefore doesn't need to be picture specific.

From what I understand is that once you get a copy of the release it can be applied to any Princess Photo. If I can print a copy any time I need it & hand it to the reproduction guy, what good does it actually do to protect the rights of the photographer? It's not like it's associated to any one individual photo.

Be careful... Facebook typically compresses those images. Make sure that you check the "high quality" box when you create an album, otherwise the pictures will only look okay when viewed on a screen... if you actually tried to print those images, they'd be severely pixelated. I personally use Flickr because it's primarily a photo site and has better tools plus you can link to Facebook.

Have you every downloaded the pictures you uploaded, you might be surprised at what you get pack :eek:

There are many sites that allow unlimited orginal size storage, most you either pay up front or have to pay to get them back, nothing is really free.

Archived