The other side of the Freedom/tobacco story

It just amazes me that people really think so little of our personal freedoms that they side with RCCL on this one. These people did NOTHING illegal.

They packed a LEGAL substance in a LEGAL container.

IT WASNT POT. IT WAS A LEGAL SUBSTANCE.

I hope RCCL has to fork over a huge amount of money for this one.

This is just another example of how brainwashed people are these days...that we think it is okay to frisk young children with cerebral palsy...or senior citizens with Depends on....or deny boarding to an innocent couple who packed a legal substance in a legal container.

If you agree with RCCL that they should have been denied the cruise they had paid for, then I feel sorry for you. And so would the great men who founded our country and gave their lives to give us our freedom.

Oh please! A business has the right in this country to do what they darned well please. I think what the government as been doing for the past 12 years to destroy our liberty is a bigger concern than a private corporation excercising its right to deny boarding to a passenger.

you people are all so funny. When bored, folks should read these posts. It's like a political argument. Such STRONG opinions. Everything black and white.

Wow.

If you go on a cruise - or any vacation - CHILL OUT! WHY, oh why would you do something that just MIGHT cause you a problem? I have a fake knee - every time I fly I have to be patted down. Do I care? OF COURSE NOT! In public - sure! I have NOTHING to hide. If you have nothing you have to hide, nothing you worry might be "illegal" then you have nothing to be concerned about and you can just RELAX and vacation - unless, of course, you NEED that "stuff" in the faux bottom can.

When ya gotta have something to help you have FUN, then you got a problem. Seriously. Life itself is a trip!:p

In true Paul Harvey fashion, I'm hearing him say, "Now the rest of the story."

So what is the rest of the story?

Couple gets booted off of ship for having a legal substance in a legal container?

Hope RCCL gets blasted in court for this one.

I would NOT want to cruise with someone who felt they had to HIDE a substance to get it on the ship.

I'm sure you are sailing quite often with many people that hid alcohol in a suitcase!!. ;)

I would love to seee the CC reaction if now, when you got caught smuggling alcohol, instead of the naughty room-you got to stand on the dock and watch the ship sail away!!

I'm just wondering when will be the first person they decide to make an example of!! :eek:

It just amazes me that people really think so little of our personal freedoms that they side with RCCL on this one. These people did NOTHING illegal.

This is just another example of how brainwashed people are these days...that we think it is okay to frisk young children with cerebral palsy...or senior citizens with Depends on....or deny boarding to an innocent couple who packed a legal substance in a legal container.

If you agree with RCCL that they should have been denied the cruise they had paid for, then I feel sorry for you. And so would the great men who founded our country and gave their lives to give us our freedom.

Actually I feel sorry for the ones who blind or ignorant and don't really see what this couple was up to but if you want to have a bleeding heart for these people then so be it.:rolleyes:

Like :)

I agree .. and if it was a legal substance .. then why the need to hide it :rolleyes:

Wow, I can't believe I've read both threads! Obviously, I need to get a life!:D

After reading the original thread, I felt there was more to the story but was still sympathetic to the OP and believed RC should refund their cruise money.

Now, after reading the CC article and this thread, IMO, no refund. I think the Captain made his decision based on the information he had at the time, keeping in mind that, according to the article, the couple was removed from the ship sometime after 3pm. Sailing time for the Freedom is 430pm so the Captain did not have a lot of time and had to go with the info he had. In hindsight, perhaps he would have made a different decision (especially if he had had the benefit of all the wisdom here on CC:D) but it sounds like he went with caution. Remember, at the port, they only knew it was not positive for THC, they did not know what else it might contain. I know "MARY" and "Robert" told security it was just hookah tobacco, but do you take the word of someone who was just caught trying to smuggle it in a faux hairspray can? Remember, "Robert" said it did not look like regular tobacco.

With all the issues that have made the news lately regarding drugs on cruise ships, I think it was the right decision at that time.

Sherri:) aka NOT A CHEERLEADER

I'm sure you are sailing quite often with many people that hid alcohol in a suitcase!!. ;)

I would love to seee the CC reaction if now, when you got caught smuggling alcohol, instead of the naughty room-you got to stand on the dock and watch the ship sail away!!

I'm just wondering when will be the first person they decide to make an example of!! :eek:

Actually RCI has removed college age passengers during spring break cruises for smuggling alchol :eek:

Actually RCI has removed college age passengers during spring break cruises for smuggling alchol :eek:

link? I have never heard of such.........it would be viral on this board here.

I still say - if you can't have fun on a cruise without needing something that you gotta HIDE to get it on the ship, then you have a problem. It's a VACATION, isn't it? Who needs expensive jewelry, special tobacco, hidden booze? IF you HAVE to have any of those things, then you just don't know how to relax.

I would NOT want to cruise with someone who felt they had to HIDE a substance to get it on the ship

If you go on a cruise - or any vacation - CHILL OUT! WHY, oh why would you do something that just MIGHT cause you a problem? I have a fake knee - every time I fly I have to be patted down. Do I care? OF COURSE NOT! In public - sure! I have NOTHING to hide. If you have nothing you have to hide, nothing you worry might be "illegal" then you have nothing to be concerned about and you can just RELAX and vacation - unless, of course, you NEED that "stuff" in the faux bottom can.

When ya gotta have something to help you have FUN, then you got a problem. Seriously. Life itself is a trip!:p

Like :)

Actually I feel sorry for the ones who blind or ignorant and don't really see what this couple was up to but if you want to have a bleeding heart for these people then so be it.:rolleyes:

So tell us what they were up to then :rolleyes: and how do YOU know for sure they were up to ANYTHING? Simply put, you DON'T.

you have nothing but speculation and assumptions which are basically worthless. Good luck with that.

Y

Bottom line is, they didnt break any rules. They brought on a LEGAL substance in a LEGAL container and Captain "Bing Bong" Olsen kicked them off the ship for what they MIGHT do and labled them as a high risk which is absurd at best.

The way the brought it on and the fact that the OP kinda fudged the story on how it was brought on board is IRRELEVANT.

I still bet RCI winds up giving them a full refund.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Everyone wants to dwell on the fact he brought a legal substance on board in a legal container as if it's as simple as that. He clearly states his intent to bring a marijuana-like substance on board by concealing it rather than bring it on board in its original container.

To claim he simply brought a legal substance on board but just decided to carry it in something different is disingenuous. He already clarified his intent and this was not it.

Also, RCI is not the government infringing on our rights such as the TSA frisking young children with cerebral palsy. This is a private organization that as a paying passenger you have entered into a contractual agreement with. If you don't like the contract, don't sign it.

This isn't to say that RCI is completely without fault. I believe they were well within their rights to deny boarding but as proper course of business I also believe they should refund the OPs the cost of their cruise and call it a day.

So tell us what they were up to then :rolleyes: and how do YOU know for sure they were up to ANYTHING? Simply put, you DON'T.

you have nothing but speculation and assumptions which are basically worthless. Good luck with that.

Y

Bottom line is, they didnt break any rules. They brought on a LEGAL substance in a LEGAL container and Captain "Bing Bong" Olsen kicked them off the ship for what they MIGHT do and labled them as a high risk which is absurd at best.

The way the brought it on and the fact that the OP kinda fudged the story on how it was brought on board is IRRELEVANT.

I still bet RCI winds up giving them a full refund.

And you don't know either. It's all speculation on your part too or do you not understand that? Were you there? Did you see the entire situation unfold? Didn't think so.

This isn't to say that RCI is completely without fault. I believe they were well within their rights to deny boarding but as proper course of business I also believe they should refund the OPs the cost of their cruise and call it a day.

And 670 posts later I believe thats ALL anyone that is against RCI in this argument is trying to say.

And 670 posts later I believe thats ALL anyone that is against RCI in this argument is trying to say.

Actually most of the conversation on here has focused on the "right" of RCI to deny boarding. Unfortunately some on here automatically correlate those people who agree with RCI's decision as also being against a refund when the discussion of a refund has hardly been broached.

CC talked to Mary and her husband .. they have admitted to lying.

CC talked to spokespersons from the Port and RCI .. not to the actual people from the Port and RCI that were involved .. we all know how "spokespersons" put the "spin" on their stories to protect themselves. Gee what a surprise there is a discrepancy there.

If we are lucky we may hear from the actual people themselves including the captain.

Seriously? RCI trots out its official spokesperson and they shouldn't be held responsible for what she says? I would be greatly surprised if she issued this statement without an investigation [not necessarily by her] and a lot of vetting from her superiors and corporate legal. That is why they are called spokespersons. They are designated to give the company's side of the story. If she is putting a "spin" on the story, I would be willing to bet it is not of her own initiative.

If you truly think so much of your personal freedoms and rights then you would never agree in the first place to the stipulations that are in the cruise contract. They, more or less, take away all of your rights. Therefore, you wouldn't be cruising. And you can say what you want about the TSA and their tactics but you continue to fly, right? So I guess it is fine to stand up for the freedoms that those great men gave their lives for unless it keeps you from enjoying the vacation that you wish to take.

Archived