Santorini Tender Process

account4fun

We will be in Santorini from 7-6 and are wondering about the tender process. Celebrity has tours at 7:15, 7:45, 8:15 and 8:45am. Does that mean we won't be able to get a tender until after the 8:45 tour or do they squeeze in independents??

Many of the ship tours use an alternate departure on the ship, their own ferry over to a different pier at the base of the Santorini 'cliff'. The buses are waiting at the cliff bottom and drive up a neat steep road. We did a quick tour that we enjoyed - didn't have to wait to get off the ship, or wait to go up the funicular. they dropped us off back at the town with lots of time to wander on our own and catch the 'elevator' down when it wasn't crowded.

If you are on your own tour, someone else can give you a feel of how long it takes, but the private tours are quite aware of the time it takes to get off the ship.

Enjoy. It's a beautiful place. We were there in November with no other ship and low numbers of people (and more than a few shops/tour spots closed). But Well worth it though.

Den

The private tours have local boats that come and pick up and take them to the road dock the the right. The ship tenders take you to the port where the cable car is.

Not sure on timings to get off though as we've only ever been there on NCL or RCL

We are there in June so can post after that

I guess I'm confused because I've read that people have to wait a long time to get a tender and then others say it's the wait in line for the cable car. :confused:

I'm wondering if the long tender line is a result of people not planning and getting in line late?? We are definitely a family that gets up early so I have no problem being in line at 6am! I just don't want to stand around on a the ship for hours when I could be experiencing Santorini....decisions decisions....

I wonder how bad the walk up the 600 steps is for young reasonably fit people??

I guess I'm confused because I've read that people have to wait a long time to get a tender and then others say it's the wait in line for the cable car. :confused:

I'm wondering if the long tender line is a result of people not planning and getting in line late?? We are definitely a family that gets up early so I have no problem being in line at 6am! I just don't want to stand around on a the ship for hours when I could be experiencing Santorini....decisions decisions....

I wonder how bad the walk up the 600 steps is for young reasonably fit people??

Both the tendering and the ride up the cliff are potential bottlenecks. Whenever you're trying to get a couple thousand people off the ship on tenders the process takes an hour or two to catch up with the crowds. I'd imagine that those with the most disappointing wait are those that. on the one hand, prefer to get off the ship shortly after it is cleared for disembarkation and, on the other hand, don't check in for tickets nor get in line before then. Those that get in line early for tickets and those that are fine waiting for the line to get down are probably very happy - until the later group gets to the cable car line if that is backed up due to multiple ships in port disembarking at the same time.

Can you walk up the cliff? Perhaps but it is a long way up and you'll share the path and stairs with donkeys and their droppings. (i.e. don't wear sandals, flip-flops or nice shoes if you want to try the stairs). Here is a view of the cliff where you can see the winding path up. Click on the photo for some other views:

203441749_9Zo4b-L.jpg

It is a LONG and High climb up! Read the thread I had the link to in the second post on this thread, above. A great alternative, especially if there are other ships in port at the same time, is to take an early and short ship's tour to get on the island and see some sights you wouldn't normally see and then explore on your own in the afternoon.

We will be in Santorini from 7-6 and are wondering about the tender process. Celebrity has tours at 7:15, 7:45, 8:15 and 8:45am. Does that mean we won't be able to get a tender until after the 8:45 tour or do they squeeze in independents??

We did Santorini on the Norwegian Gem. We love Santorini and are so glad we did a ship's tour. The ship's tours tendered first, before other passengers (not sure how X does it).

The ship's tours tender to a port south of the cable car (port of Athinos) and you take the bus up the escarpment to tour the island. You get started touring much faster than all the folks waiting for a tender boat and cable car or donkey.

Also, in Greece, the ships cannot use their own tender boats, since the Greek mariner's union requires the use of Greek tenders, so that slows down the process.

My Daughter and her family went DITY for Santorini and it took them two hours to get to Fira. They gave up on finding transport to Oia and never went there. We got to see the whole island on our tour.

You also need to check out when the other ships arrive beside yours.

When we were on the Equinox in Sept. we were the first ship, three other arrived 1 to 2 hours later, by mid afternoon there were four big ships in the caldara. We got on the tenders by 8:15 and the line for the cable car was about 15 minutes. It was the afternoon that was a zoo. 100 degree heat and the line was 45mintues long. We went down the switchback. It was miserable...

If I ever return, I will do a ship tour first thing in the morning...

word to the wise. Don't ever take the donkey ride down in the late afternoon or evening. Those animals get tired and slip ALOT!!! Years ago a couple a couple we met had a very bad accident riding the donkeys back. Unfortunately it resulted in an abrupt end to their cruise.

We did Santorini on the Norwegian Gem. We love Santorini and are so glad we did a ship's tour. The ship's tours tendered first, before other passengers (not sure how X does it).

The ship's tours tender to a port south of the cable car (port of Athinos) and you take the bus up the escarpment to tour the island. You get started touring much faster than all the folks waiting for a tender boat and cable car or donkey.

Also, in Greece, the ships cannot use their own tender boats, since the Greek mariner's union requires the use of Greek tenders, so that slows down the process.

My Daughter and her family went DITY for Santorini and it took them two hours to get to Fira. They gave up on finding transport to Oia and never went there. We got to see the whole island on our tour.

Some excursions may take you directly by greek tender/ferry to Port Athinios where you will board a bus for the exciting ride up to the top of the caldera where the main highway is. This way you avoid the walk through Fira.

We were originally planning to take a ship tour to Oia and then catching a cab to Fira when we were ready but I've heard nightmares about taxis not being available to take people to Fira.

We will be there June 20th and it shows only one other ship in port that day...

If we have lunch in Ammoudi bay do you think they would be able to call a cab for us? As a last resort how long is the walk back to Fira?

We were originally planning to take a ship tour to Oia and then catching a cab to Fira when we were ready but I've heard nightmares about taxis not being available to take people to Fira.

We will be there June 20th and it shows only one other ship in port that day...

If we have lunch in Ammoudi bay do you think they would be able to call a cab for us? As a last resort how long is the walk back to Fira?

Most ship's tours visit Oia and then end in Fira. Of course, you may wish to stay longer in Oia.

I understand that the walk is possible, but not an easy one. Apparently, there are places on the walk that may bother some people with a fear of heights.

You cannot see the walking trail from the road, so I cannot state personal knowledge of this, but I have read on threads about this walk. I think it could take a fair amount of time, say two or three hours and not to be done in the dark.

Archived