Live from threads

Bridge Maven

You either don't know where Bridge Maven is coming from or you're unfairly manipulating her(?) words/intent. There's a big difference between being appreciative of folks who post live in what they hope is a pseudo-journalistic manner when something goes awry, and not understanding why some folks feel compelled to live post what frequently amounts to minutia.

lysolqn - that is exactly the point I was trying to make. Thanks for expressing it so well :)

That kinda hurts having someone bring you down for something you did that you thought would help people :(.

I have done a "live from" thread hoping to help people especially new cruisers and to interact with people who have questions. I wouldn't have thought of taking photos of the Persian Garden, the Fun Factory and Teen Club if I haven't done my live thread.

I liked doing it. I did it when I sailed Princess and they were very appreciative. The thread also helps me remember things. I always have to work even on vacation. I use the time while I work to upload photos (just trying to make the most out of my net time). Then I just c&p my notes for the day on my post.

I'm sorry if my writing is not very good or journalistic. I have said this in the beginning of my thread so those who prefer that type of thread could skip mine.

k9x8, don't give up. It is a little hard when our net time is limited. It is very easy to miss some questions.

Posted using Tapatalk. Sorry for typing errors.

I appreciate all those who take the time (and money) to share their experience and impressions.

There is a wide range of threads of this type. Some seem to be more like dairies and others are travelogues with great pictures (such as the incomparable gold standard set by Radio). I am sure that each type, and those inbetween, appeals to different people. What I might find boring could be interesting to someone else and vice versa.

Keep em coming-they are all valuable and appreciated. If you look, you will see that all of the live froms have very high readership.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby :D:D Bob and Phyl

That kinda hurts having someone bring you down for something you did that you thought would help people :(.

I have done a "live from" thread hoping to help people especially new cruisers and to interact with people who have questions. I wouldn't have thought of taking photos of the Persian Garden, the Fun Factory and Teen Club if I haven't done my live thread.

I liked doing it. I did it when I sailed Princess and they were very appreciative. The thread also helps me remember things. I always have to work even on vacation. I use the time while I work to upload photos (just trying to make the most out of my net time). Then I just c&p my notes for the day on my post.

I'm sorry if my writing is not very good or journalistic. I have said this in the beginning of my thread so those who prefer that type of thread could skip mine.

k9x8, don't give up. It is a little hard when our net time is limited. It is very easy to miss some questions.

Posted using Tapatalk. Sorry for typing errors.

Your live thread on the Summit was bar far the most informative review (live or not) that I have ever read. Speaking for myself (and I am sure countless others) it was greatly appreciated. Thank you so much again for taking the time from your vacation to help us out :D

Cruise critic reviews are a lot like Facebook, where some people post about every moment of the day on their Facebook page and others just share highlights.

True. Also like TV you dont like whats on...change the channel. No one is forcing you to read them. You dont like someone posting a live from thread...dont read it. Its really that simple LOL;)

After reading a number of responses to my post, I just realized something. There are a lot of cruise critic posters who think that anyone who continuously takes time from their vacation to post about every minute of their cruise on "live from" threads is a very special person, who is worthy of recognition. Maybe that is what inspires them to post when they could have been spending that time enjoying their cruise instead.

"Live from" cruise critic reviews are a lot like Facebook, where some people post about every moment of the day on their Facebook page, while others are too busy enjoying life and only share special moments.

The very simple solution is if you don't think the "live from" threads are interesting or irrelevant to you, then just skip over them. It's apparent by the responses that the vast majority enjoy reading them.

The very simple solution is if you don't think the "live from" threads are interesting or irrelevant to you, then just skip over them. It's apparent by the responses that the vast majority enjoy reading them.

I agree that the active posters feel that way, but cruise critic has a lot more lurkers than active posters for a reason.

I agree that the active posters feel that way, but cruise critic has a lot more lurkers than active posters for a reason.

Again DONT READ THEM IF YOU DONT LIKE THEM.

I skip past threads I am not interested in all the time. It really isnt that difficult.

"Live from" cruise critic reviews are a lot like Facebook, where some people post about every moment of the day on their Facebook page, while others are too busy enjoying life and only share special moments.

I do know one the frequent "live" posters, and this person does enjoy life and has garnered many CC members that do enjoy all of posts.

To make a blanket statement that the people who post "Live Threads" aren't enjoying themselves is somewhat judgmental...IMHO.

You know, I would prefer not to question why someone posts while they are on vacation. I would prefer to be very thankful that someone takes the time to share their experiences with us here. Can't explain how many times I have read and enjoyed their posts/pics each day. Maybe I'm a "glass half full" kind of person.

To those ppl who have posted while on their cruise...I say thank you. Enough said.

Gail[/quote

I agreed with you 100% Please to those that post while on a cruise keep doing this!!! A lot of us enjoy so much!!!!!! Thank you!!!!

I have stopped reading those endlessly long "live from" threads a long time ago, like many other people I know have. The sad part is there might be some helpful information in them, but I don't have the patience to read a very long thread, filled with mundane details, just to find one or two things that might be helpful. On the other hand, I love the cogent concise reviews where almost every word is worth reading. Fortunately, there are a lot more interesting cogent reviews than endlessly long tedious ones.

I have stopped reading those endlessly long "live from" threads a long time ago, like many other people I know have. The sad part is there might be some helpful information in them, but I don't have the patience to read a very long thread, filled with mundane details, just to find one or two things that might be helpful. On the other hand, I love the cogent concise reviews where almost every word is worth reading. Fortunately, there are a lot more interesting cogent reviews than endlessly long tedious ones.

Then why did you start a thread with this kind of criticism to begin with?

I've kept a travel journal for many years, and the information in it has proved helpful many times. A few years ago I began keeping it on my computer, since I type much more quickly than I write.

I've had every intention of posting reviews after my cruises, but once I'm off the ship, life happens and so far I've never posted one. So I've learned I would be much more likely to post a "live from" thread rather than take the time to pull together my recollections from various ports and activities and actually prepare a review.

I enjoy reliving the day's events each evening as I journal the days of my trips. I would assume that the posters who post these daily blogs also enjoy again the pleasant experiences they've had and also find it helps to put events in perspective and make it much less likely to forget small things that other cruisers might find helpful.

And many, many years ago, my other taught me that people enjoy life in different ways, when she said "'To each his own,' said the woman as she kissed her pig." The mental image was unforgettable.

I've kept a travel journal for many years, and the information in it has proved helpful many times. A few years ago I began keeping it on my computer, since I type much more quickly than I write.

I've had every intention of posting reviews after my cruises, but once I'm off the ship, life happens and so far I've never posted one. So I've learned I would be much more likely to post a "live from" thread rather than take the time to pull together my recollections from various ports and activities and actually prepare a review.

I enjoy reliving the day's events each evening as I journal the days of my trips. I would assume that the posters who post these daily blogs also enjoy again the pleasant experiences they've had and also find it helps to put events in perspective and make it much less likely to forget small things that other cruisers might find helpful.

And many, many years ago, my other taught me that people enjoy life in different ways, when she said "'To each his own,' said the woman as she kissed her pig." The mental image was unforgettable.

I love this quote - brought a huge smile to my face :) Unlike the OP, which just made me frown at the unnecessary pretentiousness ...

I didn't, but after seeing numerous posts telling me that I should stop reading them, I felt it was necessary to reply to those comments.

You didn't start this thread? Well your post seems to be the very first one. I must be seeing things...

Some people probably find playing bridge during a cruise to be lame. Should a thread be started about this? One of the great aspects of cruising is there is such a diverse amount of activities available. Why put some people down for spending some time doing something enjoyable to them? Blogging during a cruise not only causes no harm to others, many enjoy reading them. :confused:

You didn't start this thread? Well your post seems to be the very first one. I must be seeing things...

I didn't say that I didn't start the thread. What I said was that I didn't start the criticism you referred to in your previous comment. That criticism was in response to comments that provoked it.

I didn't say that I didn't start the thread. What I said was that I didn't start the criticism you referred to in your previous comment. That criticism was in response to comments that provoked it.

You didn't start the criticism? Isn't the whole point of your original post criticizing those who start live from threads?? What am I missing here??

You didn't start the criticism? Isn't the whole point of your original post criticizing those who start live from threads?? What am I missing here??

This was my original post on this thread:

"With the exception of cruise critic hosts who probably feel it is their responsibility to do so, I can't understand why so many people start live from threads while they are on a cruise. It is hard for me to believe they are having such a fantastic time at sea when they would rather post than enjoy their cruise."

That wasn't a criticism per se. Just my opinion that people who are having a fantastic cruise would rather enjoy their cruise than post about it. Maybe that is because I only take a few cruises a year, so each cruise is special to me. It is, also, very possible that when a person spends more time at sea than they do at home, taking a cruise isn't that much different to them than playing in a bridge tournament, dining at an upscale restaurant, or going to the theater is to me.

I posted Live From's twice, in 2007 and really enjoyed it, then. It didnt take away any time from enjoying my cruise. I posted while I was blow drying my hair and in the morning and if we went back to the cabin for a nap. I love blogging and have been since early 2000. Cabin blogging didnt interfere...But I cant be the one toting my laptop around a ship.

Now, I will say, if I cant have in cabin wi-fi I wouldnt even contemplate it. Plus, nowadays I am looking to get away from my laptop and blogging responsibilities while I cruise! That doesnt mean I wont get online to pop in and post on my next cruise. I might. Then again, might not. Providing a Live From journal on cruise critic really does help out a lot of folks! For many varied reasons.

OP, you do have a point regarding "recognition", and people do crave it! And, after reading through this thread, I understand where you're question is coming from. But, blogging live from a cruise is a "Hobby", the same as if someone was sitting and playing cards on board. Also agreed that there are some Live threads I also can not tolerate reading. But, I just dont read them, not an issue at all.

Plus, its [2012] = immediate gratification on both sides; Many people LOVE to follow a Live thread, and the author "enjoys" this fact!

Some people probably find playing bridge during a cruise to be lame. Should a thread be started about this? One of the great aspects of cruising is there is such a diverse amount of activities available. Why put some people down for spending some time doing something enjoyable to them? Blogging during a cruise not only causes no harm to others, many enjoy reading them. :confused:

Exactly. While some threads might not be someone's cup of tea, to others they might be enjoyable and also might give up to the date answers to questions they have.

I have found many "live" threads fun, great reading & frankly don't see how anyone feels it a right to criticize or choose what others may or may not like.

Two of the latest LIVE threads by Radio and GMROS were terrific. Just want to say to them and others, YOU ROCK and please continue doing what you are doing:)

This was my original post on this thread:

"With the exception of cruise critic hosts who probably feel it is their responsibility to do so, I can't understand why so many people start live from threads while they are on a cruise. It is hard for me to believe they are having such a fantastic time at sea when they would rather post than enjoy their cruise."

That wasn't a criticism per se. Just my opinion that people who are having a fantastic cruise would rather enjoy their cruise than post about it. Maybe that is because I only take a few cruises a year, so each cruise is special to me. It is, also, very possible that when a person spends more time at sea than they do at home, taking a cruise isn't that much different to them than playing in a bridge tournament, dining at an upscale restaurant, or going to the theater is to me.

Not criticism per se? You win. I'm done.

Archived